PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

I’m trying to think of which clubs have changed their first team kits in recent years.  Cardiff were very recent, Liverpool and Leeds are relatively recent (in my dad’s lifetime, anyway)

edit: Villa occasionally play in stripes.  Same colours though. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Luton went from white to orange, which seemed weird as I was used to white, but apparently they were orange back in the day. 

Forest Green went from black and white stripes to green (hopefully that's not replicated up here....)

I was going to say go back to Stanley Utd because I always thought it was named after Stanley where I'm from, however I found out last week it was intact named after Stanley Street in the East End, so that idea is knackered.

39 minutes ago, Ben said:

I was going to say go back to Stanley Utd because I always thought it was named after Stanley where I'm from, however I found out last week it was intact named after Stanley Street in the East End, so that idea is knackered.

All with smiling faces is a great read on the origins of NUFC, from its earliest incarnations through the glory years until, iirc, the onset of WWI. Maybe early 20s, been a while since I read it.

It’s all a bunch of nothing though, and they know it. We know he is both our chairman and a director of PIF. We know that PIF is a sovereign wealth fund for Saudi Arabia. What they claimed to be a problem was that he could act on the behalf and of interests of Saudi instead of Newcastle in his role. That was what they allegedly put in place to protect and until he does something that questions his duties to the club, then it’s not in doubt. Declaring that he’s a Saudi minister does nothing for the Premier League, because they knew this beforehand.

Of course non of this gets clicks though, so the headlines and stories are easy to make up by making clear scenarios ambiguous in the story that they tell.

The whole separation stuff that came from the Prem, to me was clearly just a viable excuse for them to pass the takeover once the piracy issue. Which was the real blocker ended up being resolved. 

Which is why i just roll my eyes every time the likes of Ziegler & Delaney start banging about the LI/PGA court thing like it's some sort of smoking gun. 

Imagine the court case if the Premier League tried to walk back the takeover. Would be absolute carnage. 

What matters is who is actually running the club. They (the owners) have said that it's Yasir, on behalf of PIF, so he's the one who was "tested". What they've agreed to is that MBS isn't making the decisions, he's not making the calls and as long as that holds I don't think the link between Yasir/PIF/KSA/MBS matters.

Having said that, all that actually matters to the PL is that the piracy has been sorted. 

We all know the Saudi state controls the club, so do the PL and they always have done. Whole thing was just nonsense to give them a reason to block the deal. 

Media are just waffling about anything that seems to create a story, there's no chance of our ownership every being reviewed. It would take Saudi Arabia making themselves persona non grata in the style of Putin. 

They may end up making a half-arsed attempt to make it look like they did further investigation, but absolutely nothing will come from it. The only reason it was blocked in the first place was the piracy issue, the whole 'who owns the club' thing was just a handy line they could spout. There's a reason the PL opposition to it dropped as soon as the Saudi's cracked down on BeoutQ. 

Remember, as much as other PL clubs may twist, its in the PL's interest to have another side able to compete at the very top. More exciting title races makes for even bigger domestic and foreign TV deals. 

Edited by sushimonster85

12 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We all know the Saudi state controls the club, so do the PL and they always have done. Whole thing was just nonsense to give them a reason to block the deal. 

Media are just waffling about anything that seems to create a story, there's no chance of our ownership every being reviewed. It would take Saudi Arabia making themselves persona non grata in the style of Putin. 

Depends what you mean by control. They have ultimate ownership, that much is not really disputed, but I doubt they stick their oar in too much on the actual running of the club. We seem to have hired some very highly rated experts in their fields to do that, in just about every department. Hence Ashworth, Eales, Silverstone and of course Howe just to name a few.

Any owner is going to want something back for investing millions of pounds so if there's the odd shirt which looks similar to the Saudi kit then we shouldn't be that shocked.

On 22/03/2023 at 20:46, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m trying to think of which clubs have changed their first team kits in recent years.  Cardiff were very recent, Liverpool and Leeds are relatively recent (in my dad’s lifetime, anyway)

edit: Villa occasionally play in stripes.  Same colours though. 

Not sure of many teams changing their colours other than Cardiff, but Southampton have a tendency to drop most of their white for pinstripes on occasion. 

Barcelona vary their pattern all the time....I've seen half and half, hoops, and stripes for them

43 minutes ago, TRon said:

Depends what you mean by control. They have ultimate ownership, that much is not really disputed, but I doubt they stick their oar in too much on the actual running of the club. We seem to have hired some very highly rated experts in their fields to do that, in just about every department. Hence Ashworth, Eales, Silverstone and of course Howe just to name a few.

Any owner is going to want something back for investing millions of pounds so if there's the odd shirt which looks similar to the Saudi kit then we shouldn't be that shocked.

All true, I just mean that if they want something done it will happen. Luckily they don't seem to want to control the details too much. But ultimately they do hold he power. 

Either way it doesn't matter, the PL don't really care about it. 

45 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Not sure of many teams changing their colours other than Cardiff!

That didn't go down well at all. Seem to remember nobody getting the new red kit and just wearing the blue.

I'd be gutted if we changed the home kit! 

Some clubs don't have a definitive pattern and it's more about colour. We aren't one of those clubs. 

The Cardiff thing was an outlier, just a mentally deranged owner not thinking things through. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

16 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

There is absolutely 0% chance the home kit gets changed. Craziest thing I could potentially see happening is some Juve type experimenting with the stripes, which has led to some horrific designs. 

I wouldn’t mind a European kit if we become regulars a bit like Dortmund, Barcelona because we’re going to need a patch on the back regardless due to Uefa rules.

If he responds with yes or no, then theyll push for a follow up either way. With a we can't comment either way, then that's the end of the line of questioning. 

They really couldn't afford the fight, the amount of dirt we have on them. As long as we're playing by the FFP rules, they'll not come near us again.