Worst return for transfer fee paid

Beth

Yes we've signed a load of shite over the years, but who do you rate as the top 5 worst signings for transfer fee paid compared to return given (fees adjusted for inflation to be considered as well). Here is mine:

1) Joelinton - 40M!?, lets be honest, he'll never come good, although the quoted fee we paid is rather dubious tbh.

2) Albert Luque - 11M of nothingness, goal against the mackems aside.

3) JA Boumsong - 9M, obvious backhanders for Shepherd and Souness in that deal.

4)= Cabella/Thauvin - Both cost around 10M and both equally unsuited to the PL.

5) Muto - 9M, totally pointless signing really.

Anita was fairly gash, cost the guts of 10m too iirc, likeable character though.

But the winner I think must be Michael Owen, he could have been decent for us if he was bothered but he wasn’t and he didn’t give a toss about the club.

40 million for big Joe but honestly can’t knock his attitude. I think he’ll improve but never enough to justify that fee.

I always feel sad when I see Luque mentioned in these discussions. He was fantastic at Depor and was at his peak when we got him. Even though there's these rumours that came later about how FS negotiated that deal and that we apparently could have gotten him for like £6-7m, I still at the time thought we got him on the cheap. He showed glimpses of being a good player in his first or second appearance against Man Utd before he got injured, and never recovered properly. Think he would have been great here if not for the unfortunate injury.

48 minutes ago, Beren said:

Michael Owen by a mile for me.  The £17-odd-million paid for him, then, was pretty wild. And he was shite.

This for me. I remember being so excited as a kid because we'd signed ENGLAND'S MICHEAL OWEN - and what a cunt he turned out to be.

I don’t think Muto has any place on that list - adjusted for time, it’s the equivalent of Guivarch or Andersson. All three added nothing to our club, but I’d say Guivarch is leagues ahead of Muto on any shit transfer matrix

Boumsong.  The teeth Souness bought off the back handers of that deal can be seen from other planets. 

Edited by RS

Michael Owen will always stick out for me. The fact he was injured so much, and he deliberately gave fuck all effort in our most desperate hours. All because he was afraid of an injury costing him his next move. The fucker was on 100k a week and didn’t even try for us in the relegation fight our of pure selfishness.

Joelinton is shite, but at least he puts some effort in. There’s no malice to his shiteness.

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Toss up between Owen and Joelinton, the latter being fucking shite and former being an absolute fucking cunt.

Owen, no contest, Joelinton just isn't as good as hit protracted price tag, at least he's committed and trying to play. Owen came to fill his pockets while tugging off his horses.

Whilst Owen was a total twat, he averaged a goal every other game in the first half of his stay. Most of his later apps were as a sub when he was clearly unfit and didn't give a toss.