Worst return for transfer fee paid

Beth

13 hours ago, Beth said:

Yes we've signed a load of shite over the years, but who do you rate as the top 5 worst signings for transfer fee paid compared to return given (fees adjusted for inflation to be considered as well). Here is mine:

1) Joelinton - 40M!?, lets be honest, he'll never come good, although the quoted fee we paid is rather dubious tbh.

2) Albert Luque - 11M of nothingness, goal against the mackems aside.

3) JA Boumsong - 9M, obvious backhanders for Shepherd and Souness in that deal.

4)= Cabella/Thauvin - Both cost around 10M and both equally unsuited to the PL.

5) Muto - 9M, totally pointless signing really.

That's a good list. It's a shame about Joelinton because he didn't decide the fee, and I can't fault his attitude and application since he's come. And last season, he justified his place in the side, even though he's been a disappointment. 

In a way, Michael Owen was our most foolish error, because he made it absolutely clear beforehand that he didn't want to join us. He was desperate to play for England, and Clever Freddie put pressure on him by making a bid that made it very difficult for Madrid to accept any other offers. He had lost that searing pace on which his early career was based, and wasn't worth that kind of money any more. Liverpool were only prepared to pay £8m.

1 hour ago, jonbobson said:

Carl Corts return is far less than Joelintons, and that was only a quick glance.

Unfortunately big Joe is not even close to our worst signing using the rules of the OP. 😔

Running around a bit and being available for every game is hardly a decent atribute really is it? Especially if you're shite.

12 hours ago, Disco said:

Absolutely fucking loads 

Sels

Marcelino-Boumsong-Lewis

Luque-Smith-Cabella-Duff

Cort-Owen-Joelinton

Manager of this team, S Bruce (£4m).

At least Pardew and Kinnear were on a free.

£40m. 70 games. 6 goals. Fail to see how there's any other contenders really, and I say that as someone who thinks somewhat poorly of Michael Owen.

Joelinton isn't just the worst value for money but one of the absolute worst strikers I've ever seen too. Another season of him to come, too. :)

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

£40m. 70 games. 6 goals. Fail to see how there's any other contenders really, and I say that as someone who thinks somewhat poorly of Michael Owen.

Joelinton isn't just the worst value for money but one of the absolute worst strikers I've ever seen too. Another season of him to come, too. :)

Aye he is absolutely a donkey of player and we’ve had lots, worst CF I’ve ever seen at this level for NUFC.

Guest HTT II

Carl Cort was a decent player, just too injury prone, I was excited when we signed him and he had enough in his game to be a more than decent CF for us. 

44 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Absolutely this!

The only thing is, I don't hate Joelinton like I did Michael Owen.

I have it in my head that Owen's stinking attitude was part of the reason we got relegated, due to the pure poison of his personality.

So I think that should be factored in to his true cost, rather than the headline transfer fee alone.

Owen wasnt worth the money at the time and it wasnt a wise move but he was still a very good player when we signed him, even if he had lost a bit of pace. His injury record before use wasn't even too bad, he was still playing plenty of games and scoring goals.

Only 11 games (with 7 goals tbf) in his first season was poor enough and then came that ACL injury that completely ruined him as a footballer, he was totally finished after that. Having said that though, Keegan still managed to get something out of him in his second spell by dropping him a little deeper, as a second striker.

Fact remains he's a total and utter cunt, never gave a fuck and we were always his second priority.

As for Joelinton, he tries, seems like a decent lad and isn't particularly uninterested. He's just absolutely shit.

Xisco is worth a shout too. 5.5m for 9 games and one goal in 5 years or so. Not particularly cheap in 2008.

Just completely ignored by multiple managers like. I remember we had a injury crisis at one point and Kinnear was bemoaning a lack of striking options. He went through all of the strikers at the club that were available and injured but just didn't mention Xisco at all, despite him being in the reserves. Must have been woeful.

Edited by Doctor Zaius

12 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Owen wasnt worth the money at the time and it wasnt a wise move but he was still a very good player when we signed him, even if he had lost a bit of pace. His injury record before use wasn't even too bad, he was still playing plenty of games and scoring goals.

Only 11 games (with 7 goals tbf) in his first season was poor enough and then came that ACL injury that completely ruined him as a footballer, he was totally finished after that. Having said that though, Keegan still managed to get something out of him in his second spell by dropping him a little deeper, as a second striker.

Fact remains he's a total and utter cunt, never gave a fuck and we were always his second priority.

As for Joelinton, he tries, seems like a decent lad and isn't particularly uninterested. He's just absolutely shit.

I can't argue with any of that, nor would I want to.

Owen cost £17m back in 2005, so given the inflation in player prices, I've no idea what that would be today. I'm betting more than £40m - still, I remember being shocked when we paid Bristol City £1.75 for Andy Cole.

What I do think is that whilst neither player is responsible for their transfer fee, Owen brought a bad attitude back that Joelinton hasn't. He's no good at this role, but he's also working under Steve Bruce rather than Keegan for one thing.

Stats aside, Owen should have been a senior player who took responsibility. Instead, he was the worst possible example.

Ability wise, I'd agree it's no comparison, but I'd quite happily flush Owen's head down the school bogs more than Joelinton's.

Guest HTT II

Nah, he offers nothing, he doesn’t have the desire to challenge, chase down or fight for his corner so to speak, he’s actual very lazy if you watch him.

15 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He’s a £17-19m player that’s worth a punt like Jahanbakhsh at Brighton, Carrillo at Southampton, etc that could be canny but will likely not. Never ever a £40m centre-forward.

He's never ever a "number 9" type of centre forward full stop. 

Alan Smith deserves a mention. More to do with how he he'd the team back years and cost us points almost every game he played. However Owen wins hands down. Utter cunt of a human as well which is at least a 1.5x multiplier