Worst return for transfer fee paid

Beth

Surprised no-one has mentioned Marcelino yet. His reasons for his unavailability to play at times were absolutely ludicrous. Not the biggest fee per transfer appearances ratio as some, but wow, he really was a complete waster.

Edit: Paullow beat me to it :lol: (Posted 9 minutes ago)

Edited by HawK

5 minutes ago, HawK said:

Surprised no-one has mentioned Marcelino yet. His reasons for his unavailability to play at times were absolutely ludicrous. Not the biggest fee per transfer appearances ratio as some, but wow, he really was a complete waster.

Pretty sure he was the only one Bobby lost patience with due to injuries.....Carl Cort was always injured too, but was defended rather vigorously as his were seen as genuine, while Marcelino was once out for 3 months with a broken finger

4 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Pretty sure he was the only one Bobby lost patience with due to injuries.....Carl Cort was always injured too, but was defended rather vigorously as his were seen as genuine, while Marcelino was once out for 3 months with a broken finger

I just checked his Wiki, on the face of it looks like he came to us for his final pay-day, even though he somehow had played for the full Spain team 5 times. After leaving us he played a bit for a lower leagues Spanish team and called it a day shortly after. I wonder how many other high-profile footballers have gone down this path? Like, not off-the-rails or mental-health related (Adriano for example), but just thought, thanks I've had enough now and actively stopped playing the game.

Edited by HawK

Guest HTT II

Can’t remember where I heard/read about it but Marcelino apparently done a talk-in years ago back in his native home town and he said, to him football was like a job and once he hit his teens he stopped enjoying it and that NUFC made him a wealthy man instantly when we signed him and that had an effect on his football. He also said in the same talk-in, he enjoyed visiting/exploring the NE more than he enjoyed playing for us. Weird bloke, but no excuse for him as he was extremely talented and a very good footballing defender. I had high hopes initially when we signed him.

Edited by HTT II

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Can’t remember where I heard/read about it but Marcelino apparently done a talk-in years ago back in his native home town and he said, to him football was like a job and once he hit his teens he stopped enjoying it and that NUFC made him a wealthy man instantly when we signed him and that had an effect on his football. He also said in the same talk-in, he enjoyed visiting/exploring the NE more than he enjoyed playing for us. Weird bloke, but no excuse for him as he was extremely talented and a very good footballing defender. I had high hopes initially when we signed him.

Our very own Bogarde

Guest HTT II
55 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Our very own Bogarde

At least he had a decent career before landing at Chelsea. I think nufc.com might of transcribed Marcelino’s talk-in talk and where I read about his comments actually, it was around 2007 I think and I’m sure it was discussed on here too.

Edited by HTT II

Hands down has to be the fee paid for Bruce...

It is posited that the ‘Confidential Compensation Package’ totalling an ‘eye-watering’ £6,475,000 was paid by Newcastle to the South Yorkshire club to take Bruce to St James’ Park, reports The Shield Gazette.

On 19/07/2021 at 11:38, HawK said:

And also mentioned 2 days before that. The finger saga was unbelievable. We should have withheld his wages. Signed as a current Spanish international and played around 20 times for us in4 seasons. Think he’s an agent now; he’ll know all

the tricks.

Someone mentioned Ricky Alvarez earlier, and I just find the story so funny :lol: even having to pay the development fee.

From wiki

Sunderland avoided relegation and triggered the conditional obligation to buy Álvarez outright for €10.5 million. However, the club did not wish to buy Álvarez due to a dispute with Inter Milan over the player's fitness. Following Alvarez's injury in September, Sunderland had approached Inter to get their approval to carry out surgery, but Inter refused.[17] The automatic purchase clause in Álvarez's contract would have been void if the player suffered a flare-up of a known case of tendinopathy in his left knee which had then prevented him from playing. Sunderland's medical team claimed that the injury to his right knee had been accelerated by both the left knee tendinopathy and a previous micro surgical repair in his right knee which had not been initially disclosed by Inter.[18] They argued the combination of factors voided the contract, and Sunderland were therefore not obliged to buy the player.

In 2017, the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled that Sunderland were liable to pay Inter the transfer fee,[19] rejecting Sunderland's argument on the basis that Sunderland's medical team had already found evidence of the micro-surgery to the right knee during the player's medical, but chose not to follow this up with Inter at the time.[18] An appeal of the same ruling of FIFA was rejected. Nevertheless, as the transfer to Sunderland was considered complete and Álvarez did not sign a new contract with Sunderland, he was de facto a free agent after the expiry of loan meaning Sunderland were not able to recoup a transfer fee for the player when he later signed for Sampdoria.

In August 2019, after a lengthy legal battle, a FIFA tribunal ruled that Sunderland were liable to pay Velez Sarsfield €362,500 as part of the FIFA solidarity mechanism.[20] On the back of the announcement, Sunderland's chairman also revealed that Álvarez had appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport over the amount awarded for lost earnings during the first half of the 2015–16 season while his contract ownership was under dispute. If Alvarez wins the appeal, it will take Sunderland's total costs in relation to the Alvarez deal to more than £20m.

Edited by TaylorJ_01

On 17/07/2021 at 15:31, Doctor Zaius said:

Xisco is worth a shout too. 5.5m for 9 games and one goal in 5 years or so. Not particularly cheap in 2008.

Just completely ignored by multiple managers like. I remember we had a injury crisis at one point and Kinnear was bemoaning a lack of striking options. He went through all of the strikers at the club that were available and injured but just didn't mention Xisco at all, despite him being in the reserves. Must have been woeful.

It was really weird, have to think there was more to it. When he did eventually get a game for the reserves I'm sure he scored a hat-trick.

He's achieved 1 in 3 or 4 with all clubs since, not necessarily top clubs but you would have thought he was a decent option given how bad the injuries were at points. To be frozen out like that was really odd.

30 minutes ago, TaylorJ_01 said:

Someone mentioned Ricky Alvarez earlier, and I just find the story so funny :lol: even having to pay the development fee.

From wiki

[emoji38]

I didn't know this. Funny as fuck [emoji38]

7 hours ago, TaylorJ_01 said:

It was really weird, have to think there was more to it. When he did eventually get a game for the reserves I'm sure he scored a hat-trick.

He's achieved 1 in 3 or 4 with all clubs since, not necessarily top clubs but you would have thought he was a decent option given how bad the injuries were at points. To be frozen out like that was really odd.

I have seen him play a couple of times in Thailand, and he really was woeful. Wouldn’t even have had him in the reserves. I think only one club ever paid a fee for him in his entire career. There is a reason for this. He must be amongst the worst signings we have made.