Best pound for pound signings

Nobody

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Bellamy transformed us from a mid-table team into title contenders in one season. Sir Alex said later that we might well have won the league if he hadn't got injured with a couple of months to go. 

Beardsley had a similar effect when we signed him second time round. And of course he was a great signing first time too.

Lastly, Rob Lee. I'd seen him play for Charlton and I couldn't understand why no-one had snapped him up. A great all-round midfield player.

I can't see how Shearer can figure on this list. It was a world record fee, and the team went into decline after his signing. The Bellamy signing picked things up, but after he left we went downhill again. Shearer also played two seasons longer than he should, though that's not his fault. He became bigger than the club, to our ultimate detriment.

Blasphemy regarding Shearer but you’re not wrong. I think maybe if the entertainers team hadn’t been broken up things might have been a little different, with all those influential players gone he ruled the roost and anyone coming in had to play it his way.

Gullit saw this problem but wasn’t smart enough to fix it, he tried to meet it head on and predictably lost. Even bringing in Ferguson, it was all a bit too obvious.

N’Zogbia as well. Cost about £250k in compensation? Was nowhere near the Le Havre first team set up, we plucked him from the French Second Division and became a key player for 2-3 years. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 hours ago, Dokko said:

Anyone mentioned Gary Speed? More money than Rob Lee but several times over a better player, especially in front of goal.

Speedo better than Lee is a bold call.  In his prime Lee had everything.

Surely King Kev wins this or is that too obvious? Buying him ultimately changed the course of history for the club. For those who were around at that time it was an impossible signing and KK was simply fantastic on the pitch. If you can only remember him as a manager I feel for you.

2 hours ago, James said:

No, Bramble on his day was very good I would place behind Woodgate and Coloccini only when talking about 21st Century NUFC defenders ability.

He did make errors which were catastrophic but they were usually grouped together over a few games where he had just come back from injury and wasn’t really ready to play but the highlights would have only focused on the bad.

Closest comparison would be to how Stones had that blip last year.

Really his problems were similar to Woodgate - injuries.

whereas O’Brien was just mediocre cover who wasn’t expected to play as much as he did.

Was so sick of Bramble, despite his talent. More than prepared to die on the 'Andy O'Brien was decent value' hill.

5 hours ago, Cronky said:

Bellamy transformed us from a mid-table team into title contenders in one season. Sir Alex said later that we might well have won the league if he hadn't got injured with a couple of months to go. 

I honestly think if we'd played Lua Lua when Bellamy got crocked we'd have racked up more points. Not saying we'd have won the league but he'd have definitely been a better replacement than either Cort or Ameobi.

We just seemed to go to shit without pace up front.

14 minutes ago, MidfieldGeneral said:

I honestly think if we'd played Lua Lua when Bellamy got crocked we'd have racked up more points. Not saying we'd have won the league but he'd have definitely been a better replacement than either Cort or Ameobi.

We just seemed to go to shit without pace up front.

Could have even played Robert off Shearer with Bernard LW, or Dyer in Bellamy’s role.

There's been a lot of good signings. Don't really disagree with any mentioned here so far (well, Bruce excluded) in their own rights, whether it's for return on the pitch like Shearer, decent return in that they were sold on for a lot more than what we paid like Sissoko, picked up for low fee & played a vital part in the squad for many years like Krul.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HTT II

Andy Cole at the time for 1.75m was a lot of money for a then unknown 21 year-old playing for a Bristol City, but KK knew his stuff and what a signing he was for us, my childhood hero who I still look on as a legend for us. Those were the very best days.

Guest HTT II
13 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

Without Killer Kincline we would have dropped to the 3rd division.

He literally changed our history.

Aye he was massive for us, at a KK talk in once he said he did most of the team talks and was inspirational during training, helped half the players were shit scared of him mind, wonder why he didn’t go into management KK reckoned he was more of a manager when he joined to the players than he himself was.