The Apathyometer: Not to be confused with the Relegationometer.

Mike

Apathyometer  

352 members have voted

1. 1. How passionate are you about NUFC?

• 1 - Howay the lads!
    • 10 - I feel nothing
    • 11 - Fuck NUFC

As bad as it is supporting nufc thesedays (and yes it could be a lot worse!) I wonder how much more excited teams outside the top 8 are of the upcoming season, it’s not like any of them have much to get excited about? Maybe the promoted clubs but we should have more than them. Wilson and St. Maximin are the two that keep my interest up, willock too if he comes back.

21 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

As bad as it is supporting nufc thesedays (and yes it could be a lot worse!) I wonder how much more excited teams outside the top 8 are of the upcoming season, it’s not like any of them have much to get excited about? Maybe the promoted clubs but we should have more than them. Wilson and St. Maximin are the two that keep my interest up, willock too if he comes back.

3 years ago, Leeds & Villa weren’t even on our radar. Now we’re nowhere near them. Sickening.

22 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I get that but there's thousands of football matches in the fixture list. I'm planning to take in some of the 92 this season for the same reasons you've stated (and also just because I fancy seeing some different grounds/places). If you miss live footy you don't have to go to a Newcastle game, so there must be another reason for doing so. And if you're accepting that there's no real point to actually doing so, that's where it just seems like a contradiction. Why willingly have the piss taken out of you? 

As much as I agree, there's nothing quite like going away with Newcastle. You won't get the same experience going to watch a lower league team. Obviously it's got next to nowt to do with the football itself.

Very little interest in going to SJP any time soon, unless a freebie is on the go.

12 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

3 years ago, Leeds & Villa weren’t even on our radar. Now we’re nowhere near them. Sickening.

Shows you how shit the bottom half of the PL is. The fact that we're able to finish 12th doing what we do is madness.

I’ll never not care and I resent myself a lot for it, which in turn makes me resent Ashley/Bruce/PL/aggressive free market capitalism in sports even more. It’s a really grim cycle and not one a 7 year old version of me could have ever anticipated, but at this stage I genuinely wish I had never taken an active interest in football. The bad outweighs the good so massively. Was at an (outdoors!) meet up for a friend’s birthday yesterday and Man U and Liverpool fans were there excitedly talking about the new season, asked who I support and I said “cricket”. It’s just easier at this point.

Where we are now is the norm for all of our younger supporters, the Pardew 5th place finish aside. No wonder they're largely apathetic to our plight. Even 30 year olds will barely remember the two most recent cup finals.

With the top 6 teams blowing everyone else out of the water in the transfer market it will continue to be a closed shop, even the league cup is pretty much unobtainable now. I was born in 73 and I've pretty much come to terms with the fact I'll never see us win anything meaningful in my lifetime.

Edited by Beth

2 hours ago, Foluwashola said:

As much as I agree, there's nothing quite like going away with Newcastle. You won't get the same experience going to watch a lower league team. Obviously it's got next to nowt to do with the football itself.

Very little interest in going to SJP any time soon, unless a freebie is on the go.

I’ve been to Hearts, Gateshead & Hebburn games the last few seasons before lockdown and it’s far more enjoyable. Less arseholes too, first two sets of fans who literally saved the club from going to the wall, the other ambitious at the level they’re at. Puts our club and fans to shame.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

On 24/07/2021 at 14:33, Optimistic Nut said:

I won't go to any matches, I'll probably still watch televised games and want us to win, but I'll take pleasure seeing the stick Bruce gets when we lose and won't care if we don't win.

This is my position as well. 

If we win...great. We'll still have a premier team to keep the Saudis interested.

If we lose, well it's to be expected when you have an underfunded squad led by the least respected manager in the game today. 

Bought a ticket for Man City v Arsenal, think it’s second game of the season. May as well go and see some good football. Loved Spurs when I went there. 

Guess I’ll become one of those people who ‘doesn’t really support a team’ :anguish:

17 minutes ago, Scoot said:

The "Deluded geordies all expect champions league football every year"  tag doesn't really add up does it.

Apart from a handful of seasons in the '90s and '00s it never has done. 

Must admit it's got to the stage when I'm visiting this forum less and less and not reading most threads either when I do. Just totally devoid of anything NUFC related at the moment and I've got no doubt this will get even worse when the season starts. For the first time in my life I literally have no interest in NUFC full stop - sad sad times.

Have barely logged in, never mind posted since the end of the season, so just noticed this thread now. I was actually just thinking earlier how I think I'm just going to try and follow the Premier League as a 'neutral' this season, so that kind of ties in with this thread. I was another 10 for what it's worth.

I may have given up on Newcastle, and the Premier League is dubious at best, but I don't want to give up on football altogether, so unlike in previous years where I might have wanted a club that I considered 'smaller' not to win the FA Cup if they reached the latter stages, or say West Ham to qualify for the Champions League last season, I probably will want lesser sides to do well this season, upset the stranglehold of the 'big 6' where possible, and not worry about Newcastle's stock falling further behind clubs where it really should be higher.

Absolutely shite situation, but I think that's better than just ignoring it completely. I will still want Newcastle to do as well as they can, but definitely going to try and move away from the one club perspective. I'll see how it goes anyway :lol:

Edited by Paullow

4 hours ago, Paullow said:

Have barely logged in, never mind posted since the end of the season, so just noticed this thread now. I was actually just thinking earlier how I think I'm just going to try and follow the Premier League as a 'neutral' this season, so that kind of ties in with this thread. I was another 10 for what it's worth.

I may have given up on Newcastle, and the Premier League is dubious at best, but I don't want to give up on football altogether, so unlike in previous years where I might have wanted a club that I considered 'smaller' not to win the FA Cup if they reached the latter stages, or say West Ham to qualify for the Champions League last season, I probably will want lesser sides to do well this season, upset the stranglehold of the 'big 6' where possible, and not worry about Newcastle's stock falling further behind clubs where it really should be higher.

Absolutely shite situation, but I think that's better than just ignoring it completely. I will still want Newcastle to do as well as they can, but definitely going to try and move away from the one club perspective. I'll see how it goes anyway :lol:

You won't like .You can't. 

• 6 months later...

Poll reset. 

2 for me. Absolutely loving being a Newcastle fan again but I think I can probably go higher. Maybe. I'm as good as back in, though. Last two games have been agony and ecstacy. 

Here's how we left it:

Picsart-22-02-13-22-44-47-740.jpg

(there were two votes for 1 ,just couldn't screenshot big enough)

Reading the opening posts to this thinking it was a brand new thread was mad.

I'm a 4. Nowhere near fully feeling it, whether that's Long Ashley, the owners, or my age or something I don't know. Definitely more interested, just not really feeling it yet.

Oh this is a hard one. I'm watching every match now from start to finish, gave my father and myself a round trip to Newcastle + match tickets of his choosing as christmas gift, am more active on here than I've probably been for last 10-11 years, just hungry for any Newcastle related content online in terms of reactions, pod casts, analysis, highlights, rumours etc. 

I went with a 3, but honestly it's probably higher, it's just I want to believe there's still some way to go further down the line when we're hopefully challenging for trophies instead of fighting to avoid relegation.

3. Easy to get carried away with how we done in the last 3 games but I don't go into a gam dreading to actually watch us now. I want to see this team play, I want to see what they players can produce and I'm fully expecting that to continue.

On 24/07/2021 at 00:52, HaydnNUFC said:

Went 8. Teetering on a 7. I posted in the Bruce thread that I can never bring myself to want us to lose. This coming season is the most apathetic I've felt or anyone I know's felt going into it. Mixture of takeover nonsense, Bruce, Bruceball, shite players and more Ashley.

I'm an 7-8 though as since March 2020 when COVID hit, football as a whole has been pretty much dead to me. No fans, no soul, no nowt. They're coming back so that brings another dimension to COVID-era football, if it was another behind closed doors season I'd probably be closer to a 9-10. But I know I'll watch the games on TV and get infuriated at watching Shelvey, Hendrick and Krafth attempt to play football and I know I'll get excited when ASM picks up the ball or Wilson puts a great finish away. That feeling is still there. Don't think it'll ever go away. My activity on here reflects my feelings tbh, 2016-2019 was probably one of the most active posters in the football board due to Rafa and wanting to talk about the club and team through the week up to going to the match on the Saturday, but that's just gone for me. 

Outside of the 90 minutes, its all just meh to me.

Reading this post of mine back has brought about bafflement and borderline nausea tbh. I was still quite invested tbh even from afar at uni in 2019-20 under Bruce but COVID era football behind closed doors was soulless, monotonous and plain boring to me. Over last season I only ever watched us, no top 6 games, no CL or EL games, nowt. Then the start of this season with Ashley and Bruce having us "ticking along" with the neglectful management of both cunts had me not looking forward to this season whatsoever. Personally remember how miserable the apathy made me, but I still followed every game, watched it, celebrated goals, all the stuff I suppose a normal football fan would do. But knowing that the bigger picture was largely pointless, it was just counting down the games, seasons, whatever until a takeover materialised. Now that we have that...

I'm as invested as I've ever been. I'm paying out of my pocket as a 3rd year student to come back from Derby for every home game. I'm posting on here whenever I get the chance too, reading .com, the Athletic, looking at Twitter for news even when there is none, thinking of designs for Wor Flags amongst many. A huge fucking 1.