The Apathyometer: Not to be confused with the Relegationometer.

Mike

Apathyometer  

352 members have voted

1. 1. How passionate are you about NUFC?

• 1 - Howay the lads!
    • 10 - I feel nothing
    • 11 - Fuck NUFC

I’s a five for me. I was at a full on ten at the tail end of the Ashely era. It looked like there’d be no takeover, no hope.

I’ve slowly started the healing process, but it’s going to take a long while before I can go above a five. Someday, I may have the same excitement, passion and enthusiasm I once had. It died a death sometime during the late Pardew days. That 2012 season is the last time I can remember loving being a fan.

I want to be as invested as I was in the early 2000's but I think football in general is shite compared to what it was. However, I'm intrigued by the bigger picture with regards to investment in the city off the back of the club's general shift. I'm also looking forward to seeing us in Euro campaigns we actively want to be involved in, as they are the comps that will ultimately raise the club and the city's profile.

For me, as soon as we got taken over and Mike Ashley fucked off, that was the first step of the healing process. Then, when Bruce got sacked, that was essentially the final step of the healing.

I am well and truly fully back in, so much so that I've been doing commutes from Manchester midweek and in the weekend so that I can be at St James' Park for home matches (it certainly helps that I trust Howe so much too).

My optimism in the team is back and it's just so good to feel something again.

Strong 0 for me but for the purposes of the poll, it's a 1.

I think if the takeover hadn’t happened I’d have just fallen out of love or whatever the cliche is and replaced that time in my week/weekend with something else, probably more outdoor stuff with the bairn, but right now I love that even at 3 years old he wants to sit beside his dad watching the games and he mimics me celebrating goals.

I love how there’s a chance he won’t be the only kid in school wearing a Newcastle strip in a few years from now. (I’m not local, I’m Irish and it’s mostly Man Utd or Liverpool wherever you go) but things could well change.

The waves of apathy that were building year on year under Mike Ashley have been replaced by an anxiety.. the thought of getting relegated terrifies me right now as we’re on the cusp of something huge once we stay up.

It was probably the run in in 08/09 when I was last on edge for as many games in succession but really this has been since Bruce was binned so I'd be looking at probably 02/03 with the title challenge and champions league latters stages combo.

Shocked myself at being back to near that so quickly and like the players in the first few months under Eddie I feel a lack of training for this under the last regime makes it feel more torturous.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I’m an 8, I’m happy not to go to a full 10 and get me and my boys season tickets and go to loads of away games, I just can’t be fucked with it all in that sense, emotionally, financially and committing our weekends to NUFC. I’ll happily be a nervous wreck leading up to games and going mad at the telly again with the odd attendance at home games here and there. 

Edited by HTT II

The difference for me is that previously when we scored it would barely register, I would be glad if we won but largely ambivalent.

These days it's a 'GET IN....!!!!!!!' and 🕺  around.  

Like it used to be, like it should be 

I'm probably the most invested i've been since Rafa's first season in the Premier League, but even back then you always had that bigger picture in the back of my head of Ashley etc. Earlier this season pre-takeover was probably the most apathetic i've been, I was missing games, not giving a shit if we conceded, and barely celebrated when we scored, I think Bruce played a huge part in that sense, as he truly was cretinous in every single way, typified by the fact he went on a 4 day holiday during an international break despite us having not won a game, think Howe would have a seizure at the mere thought of doing that, then there was Ashley being content to just watch the club die through utter neglect, putting in the bare minimumn just to get us to the same point we where at the end of last season, the takeover at that point was in the long room, the fans where at each others back as to how we would get Ashley out the club, and the players were not being anywhere near fit enough, or having the effort required for a Premier League game. Everything was soulless, was pointless and there was not a single ounce of hope anywhere in the club, it just seemed like we where doomed for relegation, things where bleak.

Now though, i'm all in, i'm on here more then I have been in years, I'm watching full manager pre-match press conferences (I didn't even do that under Rafa), all the post match interviews from players and fans, scouting Twitter for any news even if there isnt anything to be reported, re-watching highlights time and time again days after the game has finished, watching analysis of the games we've played, and generally loving live as a Newcastle fan, which is still a really surreal feeling :lol: 

1. Fucking right back in. Haven't been to a match this season, but I'm checking this forum every half hour for any sort of news. Watching all of the YouTube clips, match of the day to do my own personal scouting for our next opponents ( :lol: ) and just loving it.

I have never really lost the passion for the team even through the pretty shite years, but yesterday I was back to feeling really nervous, heart beating faster and standing up in front of the tub for the whole second half because the win felt so important to us