Newcastle United 2 - 4 West Ham - 15/08/21 - Post-match reaction from page 18

BlueStar

2 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Agreed, to be honest. I'll personally not put a penny into the club under Ashley (even when Rafa was here) but some of the abuse towards fans who go definitely crosses the line at times. 

There's parents who want to take their kids to the games, want that experience of them falling in love with the club and the games. People like my grandad who barely get out of the house other than to go to the games and see their mates who they've been going with for forever. He probably doesn't even know half the squad anymore but still enjoys the experience of a matchday. 

It maybe shortsighted or misguided but there's still fans who want to get some enjoyment out of it all. Even if it's just watching on TV and celebrating a win or a goal. It gets a bit tiring the same folk coming into every matchday thread celebrating every loss, wanting us to get relegated and then blaming it all on the fans. I'd support them if they were using that same time and energy trying to do something about it. 

Sat at home watching on your sky sports subscription glued to the forum slagging off fans going to the game for having no life doesn't really make you as superior as people seem to think. 

Tend to agree. I wish we could organise protests and make Ashley’s life unbearable, but sadly we can’t. 

Football fans are addicted and dependent by their nature, it’s what makes us so easy to exploit. 

That said, I am jealous of fan groups who are more militant. 

Like I’ve said before, I think there are two valid positions. “I hate Ashley and I can’t bare the lack of ambition”, or “I need to go to the match and I still enjoy the experience even though I know we aren’t aiming for anything”. Either of those are understandable. 

1 hour ago, Big Geordie said:

Can I also say that the gammon who booed the taking of the knee - shameful.

Shower of bastards.

Must have made a great impression on Willock's mam and dad who were sat there watching the game with him in the stands. 

43 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

That didn’t look like a penalty but Murphy’s reaction didn’t look like one of a man who knows he’s innocent surely?

Either way I’ve been hearing from fans who went about what a great game it was. Wish I had that level of positivity. It was no doubt a great game for the neutral, but we completely fell apart after a positive first-half, went two goals down and virtually gave up for the last fifteen minutes. Even with that penalty decision the defending was pathetic. With that line-up who’d have thought?

Also shout out to Matt Ritchie for his game changing contributions 

Ritchie has been defending like this in that position for over 3 years now. All any opposition needs to do is put a ball in to the back post from their left hand side and have a man running at the back post. All they need to do is wait until Ritchie lets it run past him to have a simple goalscoring opportunity. He's always done it. 

Ritchie is a nothing player these days. He's not a defender by nature, and he's too slow to do much damage as an attacker. He can strike the ball well, and will give it a good go as much as he's physically capable, but the PL is far too demanding for a player with those limitations. Being a top lad just isn't enough. 

Tedious though it is I don't think you can really blame anyone for venting about matchgoers. Turning your back on everything that goes with supporting NUFC is really painful and upsetting; and the vast majority in the ground today devalue that sacrifice. 

I do think we collectively need to try and reduce being wound up by it though, cos it's a pointless waste of emotion at this point. The battle to get fans to resist en masse is very much lost. 

15 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Agreed, to be honest. I'll personally not put a penny into the club under Ashley (even when Rafa was here) but some of the abuse towards fans who go definitely crosses the line at times. 

There's parents who want to take their kids to the games, want that experience of them falling in love with the club and the games. People like my grandad who barely get out of the house other than to go to the games and see their mates who they've been going with for forever. He probably doesn't even know half the squad anymore but still enjoys the experience of a matchday. 

It maybe shortsighted or misguided but there's still fans who want to get some enjoyment out of it all. Even if it's just watching on TV and celebrating a win or a goal. It gets a bit tiring the same folk coming into every matchday thread celebrating every loss, wanting us to get relegated and then blaming it all on the fans. I'd support them if they were using that same time and energy trying to do something about it. 

Sat at home watching on your sky sports subscription glued to the forum slagging off fans going to the game for having no life doesn't really make you as superior as people seem to think. 

I won't go to a game whilst Ashley is here. I don't put a penny in his pocket. That's what I can control. 

9 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Ritchie has been defending like this in that position for over 3 years now. All any opposition needs to do is put a ball in to the back post from their left hand side and have a man running at the back post. All they need to do is wait until Ritchie lets it run past him to have a simple goalscoring opportunity. He's always done it. 

Yeah, he’s always looked very suspect defensively, but gets away with it because he’s a ‘grafter’. I’m pretty terrible at football but I’m sure there’s more to defending than grafting. Today though he was a new level of rubbish. 

He is a leader though and I think helped the team out in the relegation fight. However, he shouldn’t be playing there regularly in any Prem team. Crazy we haven’t upgraded. 

1 minute ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Isn’t even that tbh.

Tbf he had 3 great crosses in the first half. Defensively not good enough but he can certainly whip a ball in like.

Edited by samptime29

7 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Pilko used the word "mong". Disappointing that Thomson Mouse and Neesy liked the mong comment. Didn't expect that.

I requoted the fella who said mongs originally :lol: if you're going to grass on people, do it well

6 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Tbf he had 3 great crosses in the first half. Defensively not good enough but he can certainly whip a ball in like.

Yep. He can strike a good ball, just like Shelvey can ping a nice pass. Just the rest of their games and their general lack of mobility which goes a long way to destroying our ability to impose our game. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Yep. He can strike a good ball, just like Shelvey can ping a nice pass. Just the rest of their games and their general lack of mobility which goes a long way to destroying our ability to impose our game. 

Fair comment.

32 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I liked it but this is the best post I’ve seen in ages on here so have to requote 

2 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Aye I thought that aswell not really sure what his ‘thing’ is

Gareth Southgate is his godfather and will not select your da for England if you act like a bellend towards Freddie. 

Was at the game, I know I know. Total Ashley shill in doing so.

Great start with the charver spackers in front of me booing the knee. You have to wonder what was said (or wasn't) at half time from donner buttfuck because the second half was woeful.

That organisation at the back non-existent, this is the exact sort of thing we had when Rafa was around and is why we finished today with nothing. I also think we really missed Darlow/Dubs today - I am sure its too soon to say anything about Woodman and he is potentially promising for the future based on his loan performances but I can't help but feel one of Dubs or Darlow would have saved that second or fourth goal.

2nd half was embarrassing defensively. 3 times now Bruce has conceded 4+ goals at SJP, not even Pardew has done that many times. Defensively we look a fucking mess and while we looked useful in attack particularly in the first half, West Ham's midfield was/is lightyears ahead of ours. Willock will improve that but fuck me.

Also, playing two wingers at wing back and a right back at centre half when two centre halves are on the bench is laughable. Subs were shite as well.

Bruce needs to beat either Villa next week or Southampton after that or this is gonna turn.

Just now, Amir_9 said:

booing the knee

Heard that watching it on my TV, feed provided by bskyb's Sky Sports package, while I was acting like a superior fan on the internet.