Newcastle United 2 - 4 West Ham - 15/08/21 - Post-match reaction from page 18

BlueStar

The only people I know who don’t like it are older people who think it’s a ‘black power’ gesture and we’re heading for race war or something. 

There are also excuses like it’s left wing or something, I dunno.

Basically they’re racist. 

Sorry to hear that, Huss. 

Danny Murphy just said he expects most Newcastle fans would've left SJP today feeling relatively pleased. :lol: (cos it wasn't a negative performance)

He's a good'un is Danny. Barely a brain cell in sight. 

Just watched the highlights. Has anything changed with the offside rule the last couple of years? I don't understand why the 1-1 goal stood. Even if Soucek didn't touch the ball, isn't he an active player in that scenario by blocking the path for Lascelles?

23 minutes ago, huss9 said:

yup. booing the taking of the knee whilst telling anyone who will listen that they arent racist.

i'm of asian origin and the missus is of hardy northumbrian stock.

i take my mixed-race kids, who've luckily never experienced any racism at school, to watch the team they love. my son was almost in tears today sat in the gallowgate surrounded by adults booing the knee. it really shook him up.

"What did you expect? "Welcome, sonny"? "Make yourself at home"? "Marry my daughter"? You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."

Sorry to hear that though, huss. It's an awful experience, especially for a child.

So after a year of kneeling I would argue that any racial tensions are far more heightened than they were before. These players had been kneeling for damn near a year and as soon as England went out there was a torrent of racial abuse online, so it's clearly been very impactful.

Can anyone please explain to me what this kneeling is actually achieving? I find it quite patronising and meaningless. An empty gesture that ticks a box and makes people feel they have done something meaningful.

If people really think these kinds of things are going to impact the kind of people that are prejudice then you really must be living in an alternative reality. 

4 hours ago, ManDoon said:

Most people have tried to do something about it though, and no one is calling people taking their kids there anything.

Or your grandad. But there’s a large section of fans who go there, either whinge/boo/leave early. They shouldn’t have the temerity to complain if they’ve happily paid for what they see. And honestly if they meet any protest with anger then, fuck them. I think people who vote conservative are selfish pricks. Also don’t have sky. Most people on here want to go back to the match but it’s fine to call people out for feeding the destruction of a community asset. They have a choice like 

Wasn't aimed at you or anyone personally :thup:

I know how hard it is to organise any sort of substantial protest having been part of them in the past and the frustration that comes with it.

Just pointing out there's those that are happy to pay for sports subscriptions that help fund Ashley, those who were happy to line his pockets and go when Rafa was there. Those that won't go but won't be part of any other type of protest. 

Everyone has a different level of what they are willing to accept, overlook or compromise on so they can try and get some enjoyment out of the game again.

Most would be happy to go back if the Saudis took over, happy to have the club used as sportwahsing exercise by people who've committed abhorrent acts if it meant more chance of success. It's easy to argue that that could be seen as a far more selfish attitude. 

Being honest I'd be back in that scenario too. Probably makes me a hypocrite. So as much as I can disgaree with people going under Ashley now it's daft to resort to abuse because their justifications don't align with my own. 

25 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Just watched the highlights. Has anything changed with the offside rule the last couple of years? I don't understand why the 1-1 goal stood. Even if Soucek didn't touch the ball, isn't he an active player in that scenario by blocking the path for Lascelles?

He wasn't offside.

Really? :lol: Commentator on the highlights I was watching said that they were checking VAR to see if Soucek touched the ball or not to determine whether it was offside or not, so just assumed that he was.

25 minutes ago, KaKa said:

So after a year of kneeling I would argue that any racial tensions are far more heightened than they were before. These players had been kneeling for damn near a year and as soon as England went out there was a torrent of racial abuse online, so it's clearly been very impactful.

Can anyone please explain to me what this kneeling is actually achieving? I find it quite patronising and meaningless. An empty gesture that ticks a box and makes people feel they have done something meaningful.

If people really think these kinds of things are going to impact the kind of people that are prejudice then you really must be living in an alternative reality. 

I think quite a few people think that way but just keep quiet for fear of being branded a racist, i wouldn't boo it if i went, i wouldn't applaude it either.

5 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

I think quite a few people think that way but just keep quiet for fear of being branded a racist, i wouldn't boo it if i went, i wouldn't applaude it either.

The whole thing is beyond ridiculous.

Why on Earth do people think they can even reach those morons? If anything they'll be revelling in the fact all this fuss is being made as a result of their idiotic behaviour.

Just punish those that can be identified when they do anything stupid and allow all this other meaningless nonsense. It is so insulting man.

Some thick arseholes in fanbases up and down the country boo a 5 second gesture that their team does because they believe the absolute guff that the right has churned out about it being Marxist whilst most people who boo it don't know what Marxism is. They've been told that it's pandering to a 'Marxist organisation' which is just a mask to hide behind so they can boo/jeer a stance against racism because they're probably racists themselves. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The only people I know who don’t like it are older people who think it’s a ‘black power’ gesture and we’re heading for race war or something. 

There are also excuses like it’s left wing or something, I dunno.

Basically they’re racist. 

The gammon and libertarians argue the defund the police stance of BLM in America, despite it not being at all relevant over here, as a reason for not supporting footballers taking the knee. Also the political beliefs of former BLMGN founder Patrisse Cullors. Both of which are obviously not at all relevant in why footballers take the knee in England. But facts dont inform their opinions unfortunately. It's an entirely disingenuous argument to justify their racism, essentially. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The whole thing is beyond ridiculous.

Why on Earth do people think they can even reach those morons? If anything they'll be revelling in the fact all this fuss is being made as a result of their idiotic behaviour.

Just punish those that can be identified when they do anything stupid and allow all this other meaningless nonsense. It is so insulting man.

I have to say, that reads a bit like “you can’t stop racism, so don’t try”?

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Some thick arseholes in fanbases up and down the country boo a 5 second gesture that their team does because they believe the absolute guff that the right has churned out about it being Marxist whilst most people who boo it don't know what Marxism is. They've been told that it's pandering to a 'Marxist organisation' which is just a mask to hide behind so they can boo/jeer a stance against racism because they're probably racists themselves. 

See this is my problem with all of this nonsense. It's now turned into a point of argument for two political sides to have a go at each other on.

It has absolutely nothing to do with any "stance against racism", whatever on Earth that even means. The whole thing is a joke.

1 minute ago, Raconteur said:

I have to say, that reads a bit like “you can’t stop racism, so don’t try”?

Prove to me you can then. Are you serious? You think kneeling down and all these silly gestures is going to stop racism? For all you know half of the people kneeling are the same ones that will be online spouting racist nonsense as soon as they are angry enough about something.

What you can't stop is angry ignorant people that go about taking their problems out on everyone around them and this is just one of the many ways they do. Most of these people have serious issues in their personal lives and just look for people to lash out at and justify it.

There are laws in place to deal with people that commit these offences, so I really don't understand what all this other meaningless guff is all about.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Prove to me you can then. Are you serious? You think kneeling down and all these silly gestures is going to stop racism? For all you know half of the people kneeling are the same ones that will be online spouting racist nonsense as soon as they are angry enough about something.

What you can't stop is angry ignorant people that go about taking their problems out on everyone around them and this is just one of the many ways they do. Most of these people have serious issues in their personal lives and just look for people to lash out at and justify it.

There are laws in place to deal with people that commit these offences, so I really don't understand what all this other meaningless guff is all about.

Yeah, not engaging with any of that. I was seeking clarity, and you provided it. Really disappointing attitude.

Just now, Raconteur said:

Yeah, not engaging with any of that. I was seeking clarity, and you provided it. Really disappointing attitude.

Fair enough. Don't worry man. The gestures will continue and all the other things they come up with.

And we'll all get to watch the behaviour continue just as it always has. How long has this all been going on for now? I have absolutely zero faith in these people changing their ways.

Lets see how long they will continue kneeling for. I'm genuinely fascinated to see.

I think it genuinely bothers folk because it works. You regularly get go back to 'Kick it out', most likely because it was easy to ignore and it didn't provoke uncomfortable conversations.

Edited by The Prophet