Newcastle United 2 - 4 West Ham - 15/08/21 - Post-match reaction from page 18

BlueStar

Guest reefatoon
Just now, jackyboy said:

Once ASM is knackered, which is normally after an hour, then we are knackered

It’s all we have that is capable of creating something out of nothing. Everyone else just go sideways and run around a bit.

The second half was abysmal, second to every ball and positioning across the team was poor leading to huge gaps West Ham just played around. I'm not sure if Lewis is going to be up to scratch, but against Villa you need to drop Ritchie who was poor today. It looks like ASM was given a free role, but it was at a detriment to the entire team as we lacked any balance from left to right. 

Positive play in the first half, but it is going to be a long season.

Just now, robbo_11 said:

Fail to see how that penalty is awarded and not sure if it is the new VAR implementation, but surely the assistant referee can review the angles they've just shown?!

The ref is allowed to run and look at it on the monitor so when it goes to VAR he should be over there every single time and watching it while talking to the VAR officials. Taking their word for it when he has the option to see it again himself as well is a fucking joke tbh. 

Just now, samptime29 said:

Pen was very harsh like. Defence was wank.

Not quite sure it was our defence that was poor.  It appeared that West Ham had the run of the midfield in the second half.  Our overall fitness towards the end was shocking.

2 minutes ago, Decky said:

The ref is allowed to run and look at it on the monitor so when it goes to VAR he should be over there every single time and watching it while talking to the VAR officials. Taking their word for it when he has the option to see it again himself as well is a fucking joke tbh. 

That is mind boggling. The referee has had a stinker in that case and the person reviewing the footage. Frustrating performance anyway nevermind with these little things on top!

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Wish I didn't. I was in a shocking mood during that spell when we were in the lead and apparently playing well. I'll sleep now mind. Bruce tears and 50,000 days ruined. Wey aye, glasses in me pocket. 

I had just about enough left in my tank to coast through The Takeover That Never Was, and now that the season is actually here there was nothing today.

In prior years this would have fucked off my whole Sunday if not week until Wednesday. Now I'm just looking forward to chores, which might actually be a worse fate. :lol:

Big Al and Sir Les reckon the penalty was a joke. I have to say I agree. As fine margins deciding games go, a free penalty is quite a big one. Maybe VAR is not allowed to over-rule Martin Atkinson. His performance also included not booking a player because he was pretending he had cramp.

None of the above means we weren't shit second half, because we were. This was the perfect kind of opponent for us, positive enough to come to win but shit at the back and easy to get at, so it's a relatively easy three points missed. Weaker teams will come to St. James and force us to take the initiative, and we know how we struggle with that.

2 minutes ago, jonbobson said:

Glad a handful of "fans" are moaning on a forum, that'll show 'em.

This place is getting worse, so called "supporter's" only wanting to comment on what others should or shouldn't do.

Not attending (and either moaning or not) will certainly show them more than willingly handing money over to Ashley and giving Bruce ‘support’.

Thick as fuck every single person in attendance and very much part of the problem. At this point, if you’re still going then you’re actively destroying your own club.

Ritchie switching off every 5 minutes in the 2nd half. Nobody at HT seemed to pick up on the fact that ASM shouldnt be picking the ball up so deep or atleast without Hayden behind him to cover. On Hayden hes never a box to box midfielder, as much as I like him hes woeful in the final 3rd. Almiron is the same old headless chicken but didnt seem to do as much pressing when we're defending. 

Going forward we dont seem to have much of a plan other than let ASM dribble, create some space and make a run off him and go from there, hit a ball early and got Wilson gets it or the 2nd ball, get a corner or give it the full backs and cross.

Apart from keepers, Fernandez, Murphy, Hayden, Willock, ASM and Wilson none of these are prem quality. Murphy and Hayden probably arent they just work well in the system.

7 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Once ASM is knackered, which is normally after an hour, then we are knackered

The frustrating thing is I think Fraser is a decent deputy for him in that role and Fraser also already has a good rapport with Wilson.

Once that hour mark hits just get Fraser on for ASM high up the pitch with Wilson. Such an obvious sub.

Longstaff could have then come on for Hayden, and Hayden dropping deeper to replace Shelvey who also tires badly around that hour mark.

Would have given us a much better chance of getting back up to speed and having a chance to get at them.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Not attending (and either moaning or not) will certainly show them more than willingly handing money over to Ashley and giving Bruce ‘support’.

Thick as fuck every single person in attendance and very much part of the problem. At this point, if you’re still going then you’re actively destroying your own club.

Exactly this!

3 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Big Al and Sir Les reckon the penalty was a joke. I have to say I agree. As fine margins deciding games go, a free penalty is quite a big one. Maybe VAR is not allowed to over-rule Martin Atkinson. His performance also included not booking a player because he was pretending he had cramp.

None of the above means we weren't shit second half, because we were. This was the perfect kind of opponent for us, positive enough to come to win but shit at the back and easy to get at, so it's a relatively easy three points missed. Weaker teams will come to St. James and force us to take the initiative, and we know how we struggle with that.

Pen was a joke. We were turd 2nd half but it is clearly a massive moment.

1 minute ago, samptime29 said:

Pen was a joke. We were turd 2nd half but it is clearly a massive moment.

I agree.  Never a pen but you just knew the officials would bottle it.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, jonbobson said:

And where's the evidence of not attending will do anything?

Whether people go or don't, it's not affecting you or others on here, so why slate them?

You could also argue that any genuine fan that sits at home/watches in a pub, and just slates others is also ruining the club.

Ashley isn't going anywhere soon, Bruce neither, a few snidey digs on a forum is not going to change that.

Are you an ostrich? 

On the plus side, compared to last season, we played with a lot more aggression and passed the ball better. We did carve out quite a few chances.

Shelvey did well in that anchor position, which allowed him time and space to use the ball. Unfortunately, he has no pace and can't tackle, so defensively our back three were very exposed. It was alarming how much time and space the West Ham attack had within our penalty area, even in the first half. That was the by-product of not being able to close down their midfield, who were able to feed the ball in at will. 

I don't know what the answer is. A player in that anchor position gets a lot of the ball, and it's great if you have a player who can use it. On the other hand, they need to help the defence as well. Willock will improve our attack, so when he's fit, maybe the best bet is to keep trying to play positively and hope it comes off more times than it doesn't.

Just now, jonbobson said:

Whether people go or don't, it's not affecting you or others on here, so why slate them?

You could also argue that any genuine fan that sits at home/watches in a pub, and just slates others is also ruining the club.

Ashley isn't going anywhere soon, Bruce neither, a few snidey digs on a forum is not going to change that.

Where’s the evidence…. :lol:  It’s like talking to a Covidiot or climate denier :lol: 

It’s pretty obvious that if the ground was empty that it would piss the PL off, you don’t need a clinical paper to prove that 

3 minutes ago, jonbobson said:

Guff

5 minutes ago, jonbobson said:

Well, that’s never happened, has it? Whereas we have over a decade of people attending that has proven to fix nothing. Maybe it’s time to try something new.

It is affecting me if people go. It’s affecting all of us. Because of their own selfishness, they’re ruining our football club for the reasons previously mentioned.

As for the final paragraph, that mindset is the problem. He would be going somewhere if he was forced. Look at Man Utd fans vs the ESL for recent example of fans forcing change. Blackpool fans vs Oystons for another.

Did you have a nice day though?

Edited by Fantail Breeze