Newcastle United 2 - 4 West Ham - 15/08/21 - Post-match reaction from page 18

BlueStar

I look forward to someone explaining to me how it is working. As a black guy I don't see it and never have.

Personally, I have long learnt to move on from all of it for my own sanity. Anyone who indulges in such hatred is not going to end up in a good place anyway. They're setting themselves up for their own suffering.

Complete waste of time waiting on people to change their ways. I'll worry about myself and surround myself with people that have some damned sense and know how to behave.

One thing kneeling does do is highlight the racists who boo it. For that reason alone I think we should keep doing it, to make everyone uncomfortable. Make people talk about it. Put their behaviour out in the open to be addressed or not addressed, as society and the people around them deem appropriate, but don't hide it. Because the problem is still there and everyone gets to pretend it isn't, and that's counterproductive.

Probably should have chosen my words better but fuck me, man. The sizeable portion inside that ground who enable Ashley’s administration by chucking money at him hand over fist like total cuckolds don’t deserve much credit.

Oh, and I was going on the regular for the best part of 30 years before I finally saw sense. If that’s adds any weight to my opinion in the eyes of some (it doesn’t make any difference at all to me).

Edited by Sima

Anyone feeling angry today? Not me. Nor am I dissapointed or sad or sore after a defeat at home on opening day Live on Sky. I don't have any energy or desire to even open let alone vent in any of the players or manager thread.

In fact, quitr happy we got beat and hopefully, Steve Bruce gets what he deserves this season, a rocky ride from eveeyone. Saved by the pandemic and no crowds the past two. Continue to lose and fail and blame others, that'd make it interesting for me to at least give a fuck to follow the drama.

But right now, I'm just meh with the club.

Edited by nufcjb

11 hours ago, et tu brute said:

I was hoping Bournemouth would be back in for him (failure to go up put paid to that) as he is a total liability. He is far too slow to react and loses his man every single time. The penalty reaction was just laughable.

The trouble there is that Ashley still expects PL money for a PL player. Truth is he hasn't been PL standard for at least a year and should have already been replaced

11 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Agreed, to be honest. I'll personally not put a penny into the club under Ashley (even when Rafa was here) but some of the abuse towards fans who go definitely crosses the line at times. 

There's parents who want to take their kids to the games, want that experience of them falling in love with the club and the games. People like my grandad who barely get out of the house other than to go to the games and see their mates who they've been going with for forever. He probably doesn't even know half the squad anymore but still enjoys the experience of a matchday. 

It maybe shortsighted or misguided but there's still fans who want to get some enjoyment out of it all. Even if it's just watching on TV and celebrating a win or a goal. It gets a bit tiring the same folk coming into every matchday thread celebrating every loss, wanting us to get relegated and then blaming it all on the fans. I'd support them if they were using that same time and energy trying to do something about it. 

Sat at home watching on your sky sports subscription glued to the forum slagging off fans going to the game for having no life doesn't really make you as superior as people seem to think. 

As somebody whose introduction came in the 80s I can relate to this. That said, I soon stopped going.

10 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Tedious though it is I don't think you can really blame anyone for venting about matchgoers. Turning your back on everything that goes with supporting NUFC is really painful and upsetting; and the vast majority in the ground today devalue that sacrifice. 

I do think we collectively need to try and reduce being wound up by it though, cos it's a pointless waste of emotion at this point. The battle to get fans to resist en masse is very much lost. 

Fucking hell. It's my decision and my sacrifice. Demanding everybody respects your sacrifice is as precious as it gets.

9 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Best moment for me was when the divs started booing the knee but far more people started to cheer for it instead. I felt proud seeing people around me react that way - it actually restored some faith in humanity for me, as I was expecting to see what I read online all the time. A powerful reminder there are still many well-intentioned people out there. 

that doesn't fit the narrative of some.

31 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Of all the people stating that going to the game puts money in Ashley's pocket, I wonder how many are paying to watch the game on sky an BT.

The club would get that money regardless, plus there’s other football, cricket, rugby, golf, etc you’re paying for.

I cannot fathom people going out of their way to pay for that ‘product’ at SJP with everything that is wrong with the club.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The club would get that money regardless, plus there’s other football, cricket, rugby, golf, etc you’re paying for.

I cannot fathom people going out of their way to pay for that ‘product’ at SJP with everything that is wrong with the club.

OK so if every fan in the country cancelled their subscriptions, the broadcasters would continue to pay billions?

I know that will never happen but it demonstrates the stupidity of your argument.

If NUFC stopped paying, they’re still going to get the money from the other 19 clubs’ fans and other members of the public’s money. The affect on Sky, BT and overseas broadcasters would be marginal.

Empty stadiums at SJP would be a huge blow to Ashley but he knows he’s safe. There’ll still be over 45k there every week.

We can put this behind us. The result doesn’t count as West Ham are in a “different” league to us. 

My concern now is that big 4 on the front of the home shirt is sending subliminal messages to the opposing teams.  

Guest HTT II

It was an honour to see us score two goals against one of the teams from the top league.

Edited by HTT II

To clarify, when I say taking the knee is working, I mean in do far as its provoking discussion that no other campaign ever really has. Obviously if no action is taken, it'll be as equally pointless.

You regularly here those that boo suggesting alternatives. It's because they'd prefer something they can easily ignore.

4 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

As somebody whose introduction came in the 80s I can relate to this. That said, I soon stopped going.

I was a season ticket holder for over 40 years until Rafa’s second season. The fact that Ashley continued to underfund the club even when he had a big name manager, was the final straw for me. Bothered me a bit the season after, but now it doesn’t even cross my mind. I won’t be back until new owners with the insight and ambition to invest and improve the club are in charge. Hopefully the legal cases may still see PIF/PCP/Reuben consortium take over. If not, I honestly believe that we will be owned by another Ashley/hedge fund group. 

9 hours ago, KaKa said:

Prove to me you can then. Are you serious? You think kneeling down and all these silly gestures is going to stop racism? For all you know half of the people kneeling are the same ones that will be online spouting racist nonsense as soon as they are angry enough about something.

What you can't stop is angry ignorant people that go about taking their problems out on everyone around them and this is just one of the many ways they do. Most of these people have serious issues in their personal lives and just look for people to lash out at and justify it.

There are laws in place to deal with people that commit these offences, so I really don't understand what all this other meaningless guff is all about.

I don't really think this argument makes sense. It's highlighting the situation, it's getting people talking about it, it has already worked. It's saying that we acknowledge that racism is a problem and we want to bring it into the open. It's not really meant to reduce racial tension, maybe racial tension needs to increase a bit so that every group can have their voices heard.

If your argument is that nothing can improve racism, then I don't quite get it. 

4 hours ago, Happinesstan said:
15 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Tedious though it is I don't think you can really blame anyone for venting about matchgoers. Turning your back on everything that goes with supporting NUFC is really painful and upsetting; and the vast majority in the ground today devalue that sacrifice. 

I do think we collectively need to try and reduce being wound up by it though, cos it's a pointless waste of emotion at this point. The battle to get fans to resist en masse is very much lost. 

Fucking hell. It's my decision and my sacrifice. Demanding everybody respects your sacrifice is as precious as it gets.

That's not what I said. I said devalue, not disrespect.

But tbh on reflection I don't think my post was accurate really. Painful and upsetting is right but I doubt many who gave up season tickets, for instance, did so with any expectation that the seat would stay empty in perpetuity, like some symbol of defiance. The word 'sacrifice' probably isn't even right; I don't go because I have no reason to. 

8 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't really think this argument makes sense. It's highlighting the situation, it's getting people talking about it, it has already worked. It's saying that we acknowledge that racism is a problem and we want to bring it into the open. It's not really meant to reduce racial tension, maybe racial tension needs to increase a bit so that every group can have their voices heard.

If your argument is that nothing can improve racism, then I don't quite get it. 

I've got to be honest I've always questioned the value of taking the knee in football, in England. Would never boo it, but I just thought it was an empty gesture. Then I watched a clip of Willock and his parents, they seemed isolated and uncomfortable [maybe just my imagination] and couldn't help worry that their concern was a result of the booing. Massively relieved to see his mum enjoying herself at 2-1. Also massively relieved to hear that the applause at the end of the TOTK outdid the boos.

I genuinely don't think [the majority of] people are booing the gesture because they support racism, I think they're just misguided in their protests.

Edit: But yeah. I'm fully behind it now. as you say it's got people talking and it's provoked a few arseholes to reveal themselves.

Edited by Happinesstan

I don't go because i feel like it's the right thing to do with an owner who takes the piss, whether someone takes my seat or not, is another thing.

You've just got to stand by your convictions.

Do what you think is right.

Anyway, big crowd though it was it wasn't a sell out.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That's not what I said. I said devalue, not disrespect.

But tbh on reflection I don't think my post was accurate really. Painful and upsetting is right but I doubt many who gave up season tickets, for instance, did so with any expectation that the seat would stay empty in perpetuity, like some symbol of defiance. The word 'sacrifice' probably isn't even right; I don't go because I have no reason to. 

Devalue or disrespect, same thing really.

In fairness though, I agree that you can't blame people. But only because I know I've done it myself. 

Yeah I mean what do people expect when they consider if something is working, that all the racists would look at them kneeling and change their ways? :lol:

It's doing a great job actually, better than I expected precisely because they racists that don't want to be thought of as racist are so against it.

Edited by mrmojorisin75