Newcastle United 2 - 4 West Ham - 15/08/21 - Post-match reaction from page 18

BlueStar

12 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Yeah just extremely harsh and completely wrong. He saved a penalty kick ffs. 

Yea but you can get crap penalties like that, once he guessed right, he could have done a bit better.

We won't know but i bet he's a bit disappointed with it.

1 hour ago, St. Maximin said:

In Bruce's defence (yeah I know), playing Murphy and Ritchie at wing-back worked out pretty well at the end of last season. Murphy isn't the best defensively but I think did a job as a RWB (as opposed to RB), whereas Ritchie payed a key role in our revival last season and isn't normally this crap at LWB.

Playing those players alongside that back three was asking for trouble though. I didn't get it - were Lascelles and Schar injured? Clark and Krafth are Championship at best. We have Dummett who plays LCB well, but is injury-prone. Aside from that we had Lejeune, but let him go without replacing him, which is crazy in my view.

It worked out well at the end of last season because Willock's goals papered over a lot of cracks. When you ask the question why do we not dominate more games, it comes directly back to the composition of the midfield, or poor composition of wing backs if we are playing in a 3-5-2 formation. 

Kneeling is an act of submission not sure it's sending the right message about racism, Zaha certainly doesn't think so. I'd be all in favour of the black players doing a black power salute before the game that would rile up the racist wankers among our and Burnley's supporters.

Still fucking seething that Krapth played.

He's only there because the fat cunt in the dugout wants to make a point - which is seemingly much more important to him than putting out the best team.

21 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

In Bruce's defence (yeah I know), playing Murphy and Ritchie at wing-back worked out pretty well at the end of last season. Murphy isn't the best defensively but I think did a job as a RWB (as opposed to RB), whereas Ritchie payed a key role in our revival last season and isn't normally this crap at LWB.

Playing those players alongside that back three was asking for trouble though. I didn't get it - were Lascelles and Schar injured? Clark and Krafth are Championship at best. We have Dummett who plays LCB well, but is injury-prone. Aside from that we had Lejeune, but let him go without replacing him, which is crazy in my view.

Agree 100%, Krafth and Clark are slow, easily turned and crap in the air (as well as not being able to pass)... The exact requisites for a prem league defender???:rant:

Shelvey could be fucking Pirlo on the ball but he is that lazy off it it still wouldn't matter, you simply can't carry people in centre midfield, wing or upfront you possibly can but not in the engine room.

In anycase, the best passers like Pirlo and Xavi still worked hard off the ball and covered loads of ground.

Fuck this bloke, he sums up the club.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

7 hours ago, joeyt said:

Mad that no one thought it was a penalty yet VAR didn't ask the ref to look at it

On my coverage I remember VAR being used but it came as a “call from the booth” not him having to run over and look or anything. 

On 16/08/2021 at 15:28, Away Toon said:

Kneeling is an act of submission not sure it's sending the right message about racism, Zaha certainly doesn't think so. I'd be all in favour of the black players doing a black power salute before the game that would rile up the racist wankers among our and Burnley's supporters.

think people forget that it was initially done as a protest to standing during the US national anthem

11 minutes ago, huss9 said:

think people forget that it was initially done as a protest to standing during the US national anthem

Isn't it specifically linked to (American) football because taking a knee in a game has meaning in that game? A QB will kneel before he gets sacked as a tactical move, and drawing a political symbol from that?

3 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

Isn't it specifically linked to (American) football because taking a knee in a game has meaning in that game? A QB will kneel before he gets sacked as a tactical move, and drawing a political symbol from that?

Wasn't it more a case of doing the exact opposite of standing for the national anthem? As in, fuck standing, I'm going to kneel instead? 

Just now, midds said:

Wasn't it more a case of doing the exact opposite of standing for the national anthem? As in, fuck standing, I'm going to kneel instead? 

I'm not sure, but I remember someone trying to explain it to me that it's because Colin Kaepernick was a QB and taking a knee had particular meaning via that. Just as likely I was receiving unfiltered bullshit that I accepted uncritically.

On 16/08/2021 at 14:00, ManDoon said:

Feel bad for Woodman tbh, that's rough debut, not that he could do anything about the goals. Krafth not blocking that cross when Antonio took the worst first touch ever is wild.

Yeah, was hoping for a Krul-like debut to give him confidence and show he could keep the shirt even when Dubravka is back. No idea if he’ll be back in against Villa but he needs one huge game soon I reckon.

8 hours ago, Raconteur said:

I'm not sure, but I remember someone trying to explain it to me that it's because Colin Kaepernick was a QB and taking a knee had particular meaning via that. Just as likely I was receiving unfiltered bullshit that I accepted uncritically.

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12118/12170048/colin-kaepernick-how-taking-a-knee-started-after-nfl-quarterback-met-nate-boyer

9 hours ago, Raconteur said:

Yes. Taking a knee is an American football term. I've only heard of it as  a way to run down the clock, but I guess a QB could chicken out of a sacking..

But yes, taking a knee during the national anthem [sung at every game I believe] is an effective protest against institutionalised racism in the US. Taking the knee, as part of the schedule after singing your heart out to the national anthem, seems to ignore that.

Still, like I say, it has been provocative enough to be somewhat effective at outing arseholes. Meanwhile Prince Andrew is still a free man.