"Calcio!" Serie A (2022/23)

Collage

Napoli had the quietest summer of all the big sides, which was seen as a bit of a disappointment, but actually probably a show of strength and continuity in that they kept all of their key players. 

Spalletti is a big upgrade on Gattuso. Not really done a bad job anywhere. Second spell at Roma he got them their all-time record points total in a season - and even at Inter he dragged them back into the CL after six seasons out.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Napoli had the quietest summer of all the big sides, which was seen as a bit of a disappointment, but actually probably a show of strength and continuity in that they kept all of their key players. 

Spalletti is a big upgrade on Gattuso. Not really done a bad job anywhere. Second spell at Roma he got them their all-time record points total in a season - and even at Inter he dragged them back into the CL after six seasons out.

Massive humble pie for me if Spalletti takes them to the Scudetto - I wasn’t for his appointment - thought Napoli should have aimed higher, but so far so good in fairness.

Would love a new name on the title this season rather than Juventus (Inter)

Have absolutely loved the games being on BT Sport so far. So easy to load up their app on the TV and watch the games. Other than those during the 3pm blackout I'm not sure there's been a single game so far that wasn't televised. Only improvement I would ask for is if they brought in the timeline feature they have for PL and CL games. 

Personally don't mind too much the lack of studio coverage - once a week on a Sunday for the big game and to round everything up is fine. 

One thing about Spalletti at Napoli so far is while they haven't signed anybody (other than Anguissa and Juan Jesus as 4th choice CB) he's seemingly brought together the whole existing squad, and is involving players who have previously been on the periphery or not trusted. A player that they'd invested decent money in and flopped like Rrahmani is now looking a confident first teamer, and somebody like Ounas who was has been repeatedly farmed out on loan is getting pitch time off the bench. It's quite a change from having a new manager come in and demand shiny new toys they want and just jettison or alienate the ones they don't fancy. 

Very early days obviously but I do feel after what Napoli have contributed to Italian football over the last decade that they are in some ways owed a Scudetto.

Edited by ponsaelius

Agreed. Especially with the way they’ve started. You wouldn’t imagine they’re going to have a better chance given Juve’s poor start; although you’d surely reckon they’ll go into the market in Jan. As wrong as it is in my eyes you’ve got to reckon they’d fuck off the EL if they’re still up there post xmas.

Title races across Europe shaping up well, let’s hope it lasts the season.