Proper Football Manager Tourney - Nominate inside

Mike

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

And he tried his luck abroad even if he bombed, that rules him out surely?

Is that him exempt then ? 

Its just the stay at home easy job merry go round wankers we want?

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Northerngimp said:

Is that him exempt then ? 

Its just the stay at home easy job merry go round wankers we want?

It should be aye, I mean I had him down as a typical PFM a few years back, but he’s proving otherwise with West Ham and he deserves some kind of credit for trying his luck abroad, failure or not.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

It should be aye, I mean I had him down as a typical PFM a few years back, but he’s proving otherwise with West Ham and he deserves some kind of credit for trying his luck abroad, failure or not.

Aye he has done a cracking job for West ham so far and did dabble abroad. 

He is exempt. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, Northerngimp said:

Having said that, wor pards dabbled abroad [emoji38]

I stopped taking any interest in his ‘career’ after he left us, he died the day he left us for me thankfully! I genuinely didn’t know he went abroad though, fucking hell!

34 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I stopped taking any interest in his ‘career’ after he left us, he died the day he left us for me thankfully! I genuinely didn’t know he went abroad though, fucking hell!

He had a stint, im no scholar of his career tho. :lol:

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but could the scoring system be something along the lines of top trumps? 

I've put together some categories to help condense the key elements of a PFM, it's certainly not perfect but maybe could be used as a starting point. Points can range from 1-5 or 1-10.

Popularity & Perception

How well this manager is regarded by pundits, the press and perhaps certain elements of supporters. 

Tactics

Whether it's always sticking with a 4-4-2,always picking white British, hoofing it long, doing the same thing over and over or even a total disregard and that reliance on a bit of magic or let's play. 

Success

This can be actual success measured in trophies or some other relative achievement. I wasn't initially thinking of how well they've managed to hoodwink the football world for so long but that could be a factor. 

Luck

Napoleon once said he'd rather have lucky generals than good ones. 

Finch Factor

I didn't know how best to describe this so I've named it after Chris Finch from The Office, this attribute focuses on that certain something you can't explain. At first, they have a nice, jovial, jokey persona, always friendly, up for a laugh but once you scratch beneath the surface you start to reveal a varying array of unpleasantness. Whether they're thin skinned, a bit of a bully, the joke is always on you, you're never far from a slice of racism, sexism, casual xenophobia or views from a bygone era. Maybe it's a bit of sleaze or corruption that never goes away, there's just something though. 

So, with that in mind, as a quick example without thinking too much, of Alan Pardew v Phil Brown, scoring each category out of 5, you could have:

Alan Pardew

Popularity & Perception - 4
Tactics - 4
Success - 3
Luck - 5
Finch Factor - 5

Phil Brown

Popularity & Perception - 3
Tactics - 3
Success - 3
Luck - 3
Finch Factor - 4

Seem plausible? 

:lol: Great use of those two as an example. If anyone remembers QPR striker and FM legend Rowan Vine, he recently said on a podcast that "if there's two blokes in football who'd look in the mirror and have a wank, it's Phil Brown and Alan Pardew"

2 hours ago, number37 said:

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but could the scoring system be something along the lines of top trumps? 

I've put together some categories to help condense the key elements of a PFM, it's certainly not perfect but maybe could be used as a starting point. Points can range from 1-5 or 1-10.

Popularity & Perception

How well this manager is regarded by pundits, the press and perhaps certain elements of supporters. 

Tactics

Whether it's always sticking with a 4-4-2,always picking white British, hoofing it long, doing the same thing over and over or even a total disregard and that reliance on a bit of magic or let's play. 

Success

This can be actual success measured in trophies or some other relative achievement. I wasn't initially thinking of how well they've managed to hoodwink the football world for so long but that could be a factor. 

Luck

Napoleon once said he'd rather have lucky generals than good ones. 

Finch Factor

I didn't know how best to describe this so I've named it after Chris Finch from The Office, this attribute focuses on that certain something you can't explain. At first, they have a nice, jovial, jokey persona, always friendly, up for a laugh but once you scratch beneath the surface you start to reveal a varying array of unpleasantness. Whether they're thin skinned, a bit of a bully, the joke is always on you, you're never far from a slice of racism, sexism, casual xenophobia or views from a bygone era. Maybe it's a bit of sleaze or corruption that never goes away, there's just something though. 

So, with that in mind, as a quick example without thinking too much, of Alan Pardew v Phil Brown, scoring each category out of 5, you could have:

Alan Pardew

Popularity & Perception - 4
Tactics - 4
Success - 3
Luck - 5
Finch Factor - 5

Phil Brown

Popularity & Perception - 3
Tactics - 3
Success - 3
Luck - 3
Finch Factor - 4