Manchester United vs Newcastle United - 11/09/21 @ 15:00

13 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

How so? Then why was Clattenburg never allowed to referee us?

I don't know or care who is allowed to do what. It's an incredibly childish viewpoint to think that seasoned professional referees would show bias in a top flight football game.

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I don't know or care who is allowed to do what. It's an incredibly childish viewpoint to think that seasoned professional referees would show bias in a top flight football game.

It would be easier to agree with you if the same rules around this applied to all officials. Clattenberg being the case in point. Are those who decided he couldn't referee our games concerned he wouldn't be impartial and therefore incredibly childish? 

1 minute ago, Joey Linton said:

It would be easier to agree with you if the same rules around this applied to all officials. Clattenberg being the case in point. Are those who decided he couldn't referee our games concerned he wouldn't be impartial and therefore incredibly childish? 

No. They're smart, as they know they'd have to deal with incredibly childish people if Clattenburg was to make a genuine mistake in favour of Newcastle.

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

No. They're smart, as they know they'd have to deal with incredibly childish people if Clattenburg was to make a genuine mistake in favour of Newcastle.

So if Anthony Taylor makes a genuine mistake in favour of Man United? What then? The incredibly childish people will just shrug their shoulders? 

4 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

So if Anthony Taylor makes a genuine mistake in favour of Man United? What then? The incredibly childish people will just shrug their shoulders? 

Each ref has to declare the team they support. Clattenberg declared Newcastle. Taylor didn't declare Man Yoo.

9 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Manchester is a big place. He doesn't support Man United. 

South Korea in the 2002 world cup springs to mind as games where the refs were obviously biased. Italy one you could possibly dispute but the Spain game that followed was one of the most blatant attempts to rig a game you will see. 

Firstly I dont think Taylor being the referee will make any outcome to the result. I dont think he would be biased at all (although he was the ref who missed a blatant handball at Old Trafford when we were winning 2-0). You could hand pick any referee (even Oliver) and we'll still get our arses handed to us by at least 3 goals. 

What I would say is that there is the basis that his integrity can come under unfair scrutiny if he ever gives a dodgy decision. I recall former head of refs Keith Hackett saying the PGMOL shouldnt be letting him referee Manchester teams.

A few teams have refused to have certain referees officiate in their matches in the past. Tottenham maybe? Didnt Southampton refuse a ref when they kept getting shafted by him :lol:

Edited by Pokerprince2004

People are incredibly naive if they don’t think referees show bias. Everyone has unconscious biases, regardless of their profession.

It’s the exact reason people like Suarez were less likely to get a penalty than someone like John Terry. Because of the perception of Suarez being a diving, cheating git.

It’s also fairly straightforward to recognise with the number of referees around, it’s quite likely at least one or two of them are a wrong’en.

Giving someone like Taylor a Manchester game just unnecessarily increases the possibility of something bent happening. No need for it when there are so many officials to choose from.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

4 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

People are incredibly naive if they don’t think referees show bias. Everyone has unconscious biases, regardless of their profession.

It’s the exact reason people like Suarez were less likely to get a penalty than someone like John Terry. Because of the perception of Suarez being a diving, cheating git.

It’s also fairly straightforward to recognise with the number of referees around, it’s quite likely at least one or two of them are a wrong’en.

Giving someone like Taylor a Manchester game just unnecessarily increases the possibility of something bent happening. No need for it when there are so many officials to choose from.

That conclusion doesn’t really follow from that premise. Of course refs are human and have the flaws that everyone has (although then again they are explicitly trained/focused on avoiding bias I assume). But that’s different to having any evidence that any individual ref is biased in any particular way. 

If we said “aye, this guy supports chelsea and has dinner with Thomas Tuchel, but we trust him to be fair”, that would be a different matter :lol:

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That conclusion doesn’t really follow from that premise. Of course refs are human and have the flaws that everyone has (although then again they are explicitly trained/focused on avoiding bias I assume). But that’s different to having any evidence that any individual ref is biased in any particular way. 

If we said “aye, this guy supports chelsea and has dinner with Thomas Tuchel, but we trust him to be fair”, that would be a different matter :lol:

You don’t need to go to that extreme of your example to be biased though, that’s my point.

All referees will have their biases, some will just be better than others at seeing past them and not allowing them to affect their judgements.

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

You don’t need to go to that extreme of your example to be biased though, that’s my point.

All referees will have their biases, some will just be better than others at seeing past them and not allowing them to affect their judgements.

I get that, and I accept that any human will be biased. But I suppose the question is what basis we use to suspect that any individual might be biased in any situation. 

I would say the rule about not officiating the team you support is enough (although I would imagine most refs could do that without a problem). And in general it’s just a distraction that fans shouldn’t give a second thought to. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

9 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I get that, and I accept that any human will be biased. But I suppose the question is what basis we use to suspect that any individual might be biased in any situation. 

I would say the rule about not officiating the team you support is enough (although I would imagine most refs could do that without a problem). And in general it’s just a distraction that fans shouldn’t give a second thought to. 

I don’t disagree. My response was more towards Froggy’s daft suggestion that no professional referee would ever be biased.

My only issue with Taylor’s appointment is they are unnecessarily increasing the risk of bias being present, when they have numerous other referees who could take up that role.

Not to suggest he cares in the slightest either way with Man Utd. He might even hate them, being from Manchester, but it’s just an unnecessary risk.

I would extend the ban from not officiating games involving teams you support or teams from the region you were born/reside in. With the number of officials we have, it really shouldn’t be an issue.

Edited by Fantail Breeze