Newcastle United vs Leeds United - 17/09/21 - Sky Sports 8pm

Scoot

19 minutes ago, Foluwashola said:

For many, myself included, it's a step too far actively wanting us to lose. There's been plenty of managers we've wanted rid of in the past, Sounness, Fat Sam etc, but can't remember anyone genuinely hoping for defeats until the rise of the twitter/forums. Weird phenomenon. 

You obviously weren’t at the last paper aeroplane game then

1 hour ago, Foluwashola said:

but can't remember anyone genuinely hoping for defeats until the rise of the twitter/forums. Weird phenomenon. 

Is it really that weird?

We were fairly decent before the internet fully took hold so probably explains why it wasn't as prevalent.

I'm not old enough to have experienced mckeag etc. so if people think it was worse then fair enough. But in my nufc experience this is as bad as it gets. Our owner hates us and we literally exist to make him some chump change.

I don't know about you guys but I hope Steve Bruce stays till Rafa visit St James Park and the crowd sings Rafa's name the whole game. What a scene that will be. 

Edited by Misa

5 minutes ago, Misa said:

I don't know about you guys but I hope Steve Bruce stays till Rafa visit St James Park and the crowd sings Rafa's name the whole game. What a scene that will be. 

February right? Unless we get them 3rd round FA Cup.

For many, myself included, it's a step too far actively wanting us to lose. There's been plenty of managers we've wanted rid of in the past, Sounness, Fat Sam etc, but can't remember anyone genuinely hoping for defeats until the rise of the twitter/forums. Weird phenomenon. 

:lol: very on brand. People have perfectly valid reasons even if you don't understand them. It's fair enough if you don't share that view of course. 

Fwiw I can recall wanting us to lose that Middlesbrough game when Clark scored the late equaliser. Think I'd signed up to here a few weeks beforehand so I guess forumitis and its various symptoms must've taken hold. 

This isn't just about the manager though, it's about the ownership as well as the manager.  I want us to lose because Bruce is fucking godawful and I want Ashley to lose everything by getting repeatedly relegated until he has to sell the club because it's the only way it'll happen.

Comparing to the past (pre-internet) isn't useful imo; back then people had very few avenues down which to vent and certainly very little thought that their opinion might be able to influence things because their opinion was just that.  Rightly or wrongly the internet has changed that.

aye social media deffo has a part to play in it, it deffo influences me anyways, but back then under Souness/fat Sam it didn't seen no where is bad as it does now, there was always some inkling of hope that things were gonna turn around... felt as a fanbase we were always singing from the same hymn sheet ... maybe not maybe I'm just looking back from rose-tinted glasses because I was only a kid.... it all started for me in 2014 I remember when we came back to draw away from Swansea  I was fuming cus I  thought if we where to loose pardew would get sacked and we could  start progressing.... (obviously we will never progress until Ashley is gone) 

under McClaren I initially got behind the team, until it was clear that he was incompetent and hadn't a clue what he was doing....then rafa came and I felt like a kid again was 100% emotionally invested in the club again, knew deep down with Ashley there that it would go tits up eventually, but just having a man of his class, professionalism and quality, who had a genuine interest and care in the football club and the city, even went back to buying a Jersey each season rafa was there🙈.... but when he left it all changed for me, like a lot of people in here, when Bruce came in it just became emotionless for me now, I dont feel the anger I did with pardew, carver and McClaren  its much worse I just don't feel anything bar sadness at times, especially when I flick on sky sports or motd and see rafa doing his thing at Everton, on occasion over the last 2 years I do find my self cheering when we score or win, or gaining interest but... it slowly fades.... I just can't wait when we have a new manager and new owner and we  can get excited for the match at the weekend, for a new season  etc, until then....

Guest neesy111

Look, it's a Friday night and most in the crowd has had a bevvy or 2 before the match to start the weekend with and were not thinking straight with those chants.

We'll dust ourselves down and go again.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Pretty sure souness there was sentiment around wanting us to lose 

There was, especially when Gareth Barry missed a pen against us.