Howe? Jones? Wilder?

Gallowgate1892

7 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

It's no good folk saying 'anyone but Bruce' like. It's nonesense to say that.

Bruce is shit. But there are plenty worse/just as bad. Getting rid of Bruce, to just be pig sick of Tony Pulis 6 months down the line is such a pointless endeavour and something that might end up with us worse off, however that may be.

It's such a shit situation and such an unappealing job that there's very few options, that's why we're stuck with Bruce in the first place. I'd probably take Howe if he was stupid enough to come here.

If Ashley wanted a decent manager he could get one, he’s not arsed, though. I’m sure there’s a Hassnhuttl or Frank out there on the continent who’d jump at the chance to work with that squad. We’d never get a Benitez again but we’d still be an attraction.

29 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Pointless having another thread where we're debating whether or not Bruce is gonna go but if we're talking potential replacements; at the moment I'd probably 'like' to see Jones get it. I'd be able to stop hating and would probably feel inclined to watch a game for the first time this season; but also it wouldn't confuse the situation, as would be the case were we to make a genuinely progressive appointment. I can't be fucked with us barely pretending all over again, as per the Rafa years. 

As for post-takeover pie in the sky stuff; literally just about anyone would do me. I can hardly imagine us making an appointment, good or bad, with the reason being "because we want to be successful". Seems like a complete pipe dream atm. 

Dreamland is a Conte type. Would love Southgate as well cos I think the bloke's a diamond. 

Half of this is true for me personally. I want Howe as I'd look forward to watching the team again, knowing that there's an at least semi competent, likeable guy in the dugout. He'd get more out of us and have us playing nice stuff. But, and this where you and me differ, I want to pretend (sic). :lol: I'm sick of hating everything about matches because of that fat, snidey fucking prick in the dugout. I despise that he represents my club, my area and has that crest on his chest when he's interviewed. I just want to enjoy watching my team again, in spite of the larger Ashley picture.

You need 3 things to make Newcastle United successful: you need a likeable, intelligent manager in the dugout with a positive footballing philosophy and the ability to communicate that to a squad with talent, excitable flair and a bit of footballing nous.

Someone like Howe, or Bruce's predecessor ticks one of those boxes for me and some of the players we have tick the other. Getting shot of Bruce would improve us so much it’s untrue. A takeover would lead to Ashley beiing replaced and a bit of sustained investment will lead to an improvement in the squad, one of those 3 things is inextricably linked to the next.

Everything shit about NUFC however all leads back to one person. It’s Ashley who most importantly needs to leave, it’s Ashley who is responsible for years of neglect and it’s Ashley who has driven the club into the ground to meet his own ends. He's the cancer. Ashley out. As soon as fucking possible.

But Bruce out in the meantime. :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

I've been an admirer of Howe ever since I saw Bournemouth totally dominate us under Pardew, I love the pressing style of football, and he's the best I've seen from a British manager. Yes we'd lose some games badly, but I think we'd win a fair few, and enjoy the ride. 

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Disagree, we were as much of a mess 2013-16 as we are now, or any of the other Ashley years. Van Bronckhorst wanted it after Benitez left. 'No decent manager would want the job' is bollocks.

Do we even know if Gio is any good?

45 minutes ago, TRon said:

I've been an admirer of Howe ever since I saw Bournemouth totally dominate us under Pardew, I love the pressing style of football, and he's the best I've seen from a British manager. Yes we'd lose some games badly, but I think we'd win a fair few, and enjoy the ride. 

Pardew never managed us v Bournemouth, agree with what you're saying though.

14 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Do we even know if Gio is any good?

Won Feyenoord's first title in 16(?) years, won a couple cups too iirc. Played good stuff too, but Dutch football is a different animal to the PL. See McClaren, De Boer.

But still, I'd take him. And negates the strength of the argument that no one decent would want the job here. Its bollocks imo. 

I agree with the Eddie Howe bandwagon.

Keep Jones on as a coach under him, perhaps.

He's the best you could hope for under Ashley, and someone who could hopefully keep us afloat until Ashley is gone at least.

Whoever thought Bruce was the answer to anything in the first place, except dealing with the European butter mountain, needs to be formally wedgied throughout the length and breadth of the city.

3 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Don’t think that’s proof he’s a decent manager. You said yourself Mcclaren and DeBoer both win the league there.

He's still a good option. The idea that 'no one good, only Championship plodders' would want it is wrong.

4 hours ago, GWN said:

Quick reply.

Do you think E. Howe would work under Ashley? 

Also if you reply , how do you know :lol:

Nobody knows of course.

But I think he might be looking at a team that finished 13th under Rafa who had just signed Almiron, then added:

A 40m striker [emoji38]

ASM >20m

Wilson >20m

Fraser (assuming Howe was a fan)

Willock 25m

Got some youngsters who have displayed some talent under a decent manager - Longstaffs/Lewis

Then finished 13th and 12th under a fucking useless mess. 

Surely he'd be thinking he could work and improve on that?? Plus as much as it doesn't feel like it to us at the mo, NUFC are a "big" club. 

Howe would be a remarkable step up. If he's not careful Adhley won't have a premier league club to sell. Even at this early stage were in trouble with the easier games we've played. 1 asm injury away of not winning a game again.

2 hours ago, Hhtoon said:

Nobody knows of course.

But I think he might be looking at a team that finished 13th under Rafa who had just signed Almiron, then added:

A 40m striker [emoji38]

ASM >20m

Wilson >20m

Fraser (assuming Howe was a fan)

Willock 25m

Got some youngsters who have displayed some talent under a decent manager - Longstaffs/Lewis

Then finished 13th and 12th under a fucking useless mess. 

Surely he'd be thinking he could work and improve on that?? Plus as much as it doesn't feel like it to us at the mo, NUFC are a "big" club. 

fair enough, there will come a point when he will need a job mind . No guarantee he will be anything other than average mind but I’d take a cheese and pickle sandwich over this mess in charge :lol:

Thing is, doesnt matter who we bring in - any progress made is gonna hit a ceiling where Ashley won't invest to get the next level or even to keep us at that level.

Howe would be a great fit for me as a fan but what fit would he be with Barnes and Charnley?

If hes ringing Penfold wanting the training ground upgraded or wanting to strengthen the squad then it'll fall on deaf ears.

Even if he somehow got cast iron guarantees written into his contract - that means fuck all and it'll fall on deaf ears.

Even if he got his squad playing out of its skin every week and we finished top half or even squeezed into Europe, it'll fall on deaf ears like Pardew getting 5th.

So is he gonna come here knowing hes basically set up to fail?