PL Matches in USA, China, India etc

veriaqa

As oversea fans myself, I'm torn. Part of me want to see NUFC play on my home country. Maybe it will be my only chance for me to watch NUFC play in skin. But, the other part know that this is another nail in the coffin of football as a sport

Edited by veriaqa

:lol: the little babyrage moments about american owners are so cute, like the game wasn't corrupted by money long before they showed up. at best you can argue they might have sped up the process but literally everyone would eventually want to push into lucrative american/chinese markets with EU already saturated.

Guest HTT II
14 minutes ago, thomas said:

:lol: the little babyrage moments about american owners are so cute, like the game wasn't corrupted by money long before they showed up. at best you can argue they might have sped up the process but literally everyone would eventually want to push into lucrative american/chinese markets with EU already saturated.

Stick to soccer 

It's hilarious that the game is in serious need of a shakeup and the only ideas leagues and governing bodies have just make it worse. I always think about how CL winners have about three days to celebrate with their team before they jet off to international duty. There's no other sport I know of where the highest annual prize gets tossed aside so quickly. Players are seriously overworked and somehow the only idea people in charge have is more games/travel.

As I said last time they tried to do this, people in the US, India, and China become fans become of the tradition and culture around English football. Take that out of England and you've lost all of it. Why the hell would I want to see a PL game without the atmosphere? How is this bringing the game to more people when those who could even afford to go to these games are also the few who can afford going abroad to watch one? This doesn't help anyone except for the usual suspects.

On the idea purely, it can fuck off. Newcastle United should play in Newcastle. Manchester City and Manchester United should play in Manchester. Liverpool and Everton likewise, and so on. Overseas pre season tours, fine. But if overseas fans choose an overseas club to follow they should either accept they have to travel overseas to watch them or support their local side.

The thing as a whole, it's nothing but pure greed from this rancid, money grubbing, capitalist band of cunts that run modern football at the top now. They can get to fuck more than anyone else in world football.

Just now, Inferior Acuña said:

It has an air of inevitability about it. Don't know about every team having one game there, but some bigger games and/or cup finals. Hopefully pressure can keep pushing it back til after I'm dead.

I can see something like the Community Shield being played abroad, like the Italian Super Cup is. Anything more than that and media and fan pressure will push it back imo. (or hope)

The PL and the 6 clubs who run it have maxed out their earning potential in the current format so games happening overseas for a shit load of cash is inevitable.

This is the payoff after the ESL debacle and the rich six trying to pull up the ladder while pissing on everyone else. They always going to push for other revenue streams as a compromise for ‘backing down’ on the ESL.

It’ll happen eventually but it shouldn’t. If someone based abroad wants to watch the team they follow then they’ll have to come England and town/city they play in- all of which helps the wider economy of which clubs are very much part of, same applies if I wanted to go and watch someone who was not UK based.

19 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

On the idea purely, it can fuck off. Newcastle United should play in Newcastle. Manchester City and Manchester United should play in Manchester. Liverpool and Everton likewise, and so on. Overseas pre season tours, fine. But if overseas fans choose an overseas club to follow they should either accept they have to travel overseas to watch them or support their local side.

The thing as a whole, it's nothing but pure greed from this rancid, money grubbing, capitalist band of cunts that run modern football at the top now. They can get to fuck more than anyone else in world football.

Newcastle are playing in Wolverhampton today. 

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, but it's not a very strong argument against this particular suggestion. That's the trouble. The state of football it would be churlish to cry about such a thing. Shite as it may be.

On 01/10/2021 at 11:14, Ameritoon said:

It's hilarious that the game is in serious need of a shakeup and the only ideas leagues and governing bodies have just make it worse. I always think about how CL winners have about three days to celebrate with their team before they jet off to international duty. There's no other sport I know of where the highest annual prize gets tossed aside so quickly. Players are seriously overworked and somehow the only idea people in charge have is more games/travel.

As I said last time they tried to do this, people in the US, India, and China become fans become of the tradition and culture around English football. Take that out of England and you've lost all of it. Why the hell would I want to see a PL game without the atmosphere? How is this bringing the game to more people when those who could even afford to go to these games are also the few who can afford going abroad to watch one? This doesn't help anyone except for the usual suspects.

Agreed. I wouldn’t go out of my way to attend a PL match in the U.S. It seems far more crass than even the NFL playing games in London.

Just now, jdckelly said:

to americans, how was the response to nfl games being played in london when that first happened? 

Not sure if it’s true, but surely there are distance between teams in the NFL that are larger than some teams going to London.

In Canada the distance between Toronto and Vancouver is the same as Toronto and London.

2 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

to americans, how was the response to nfl games being played in london when that first happened? 

As I remember there was more negative response among fans than positive, and there was grumbling among players, due to the distance. But I don't remember there being a massive uproar. 

1 minute ago, B-more Mag said:

As I remember there was more negative response among fans than positive, and there was grumbling among players, due to the distance. But I don't remember there being a massive uproar. 

:thup: not really comparable I suppose but its the only example I can think of where a sport plays a regular league game in another country. I know Italy and Spain (I think) have played cup finals in Qatar etc but not regular league games 

5 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Not sure if it’s true, but surely there are distance between teams in the NFL that are larger than some teams going to London.

In Canada the distance between Toronto and Vancouver is the same as Toronto and London.

flight distance wise NYC to San Francisco is ~ 900 miles shorter than to London, 3400 vs 2500, give or take. Still a very long haul. Don't know if there are larger gulfs, e.g. Miami to Seattle.

6 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Miami to Seattle would be pretty close to something like Boston to London, but just a bit shorter, I think.