Your 14 years under Ashley

Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Distinctly remember you having horrendous issues with your arse. Wonder was that Ashley related as well?

Also, welcome back, you were one of my favourites.

Progress is always going to be slow because I can’t just transform the way I want to go overnight. I got caught the other night and I got punished.

10 hours ago, Wullie said:

Went from an obsessed 21 year old who wouldn't miss a home game under any circumstances to a 36 year old who doesn't watch most of the games and wouldn't have set foot in the ground if you paid me.

Snap. NUFC went from being my biggest passion, to a source of raw anger and then total apathy. 

It is a shame we were utterly gash for the majority of me 20s like, peak time for following football home & away I suspect. The Rafa Championship season was good in fairness. 

Probably only the last couple of years I've felt the passion waning a bit and stopped going bar freebies. Fully ready to get back onboard now. HTL.

Guest HTT II

The time under Hughton and Rafa probably saved me from totally disowning/abandoning the club/and indeed football full stop. Small victories under Ashley I guess, those times were or felt real and good. Not exactly like the KK and Sir Bobby days, but on and off the pitch the team and fans at least felt United and I will always cherish those times, heightened more because they come under Ashley. Other highlights are Wor Flags, the Sack Pardew and Ashley Out campaigns and this forum has been a godsend, as painful as the footy/NUFC section has been. It’s kept me sane, laughing, involved if somewhat indirectly with NUFC and the game and it’s been my release if I’m honest in what has been a tough 14 years on and off the pitch in the life of us fans and my own life, lots of ups and downs but guess who wins…

FUCKING US! 

Just realized I was driving the same car then that I am now. I need to get a new car.

It was all the good people here and fucking around in general chat that probably kept me from totally fucking the club off through all this shit. You're all fantastic folks. Thank you. 

Guest HTT II
8 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

Just realized I was driving the same car then that I am now. I need to get a new car.

It was all the good people here and fucking around in general chat that probably kept me from totally fucking the club off through all this shit. You're all fantastic folks. Thank you. 

I couldn’t even drive back then, I was a learner driver. 

14 years ago - had a season ticket, plenty of away games, never missed a match on the telly, lived and breathed NUFC

2 days ago - on a self imposed boycott of the Ashley regime, 9 years without going to any games, never watched a match on the telly in years, totally disengaged with NUFC. Stayed on here for the Chat forum.

1 day ago - overwhelming emotion

Today - BACK IN THE FUCKING MIX

Edited by bobbydazzla

2 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

14 years ago - had a season ticket, plenty of away games, never missed a match on the telly, lived and breathed NUFC

2 days ago - on a self imposed boycott of the Ashley regime, 9 years without going to any games, never watched a match on the telly in years, totally disengaged with NUFC. Stayed on here for the Chat forum.

1 day ago - overwhelming emotion

Today - BACK IN THE FUCKING MIX

Basically me, except 7 years without going to any games. 

Can't wait for the Spurs game :)

Bounced my ST way back in 2009 when Ashley almost turned the club inside out.  Went regularly during the championship season with Hughton and only visited once or twice after that. 

My old man never got to see the back of Ashley which hurts immensely.... I wont ever forgive what Ashley did to this club affecting the city, the community, family, friends and fellow fans. 

The bastard. 

Was 16 when he became owner. I remember being absolutely buzzing my tits off in Newcastle College the day it became clear. A British billionaire was everything I wanted, I was even buzzing with Fat Sam at the time too. Went to Bolton away and genuinely thought we were onto a winner - sitting with his Alan Smith top on etc. 

Kept going throughout all of the shit, 2 relegations. Portsmouth away, midweek away cup defeats. Was on wearside for the defeats, but stayed through it all.

When Bruce got the job I packed it in. Honestly the hardest thing I've ever done, my Dad, brother and I had over 450 loyalty points between us - but we done what we thought was right. We'd regressed overnight by appointing Bruce and was just such a kick in the balls after the hope that Benitez had given us for them 3 years. Steve fucking Bruce? Done absolutely nothing to deserve that job and it was the final straw. My Dad had been going since 1966/67 season and even he was sick. Was awful telling my son, and with my brother passing, horrific to think his last EVER game was that Liverpool Saturday night game in May 19.

Since then, I can honestly say I've watched 3 NUFC matches. I actually fell so much out of love with football it had a huge impact on my personal life. Found myself purposely avoiding football in general. Started going to my local team a lot more, which I did enjoy, but it's never the same. Losing my brother in August this year was the sucker punch, I thought how can I possibly love NUFC again even if we ever get taken over.

Since Wednesday, it all came flooding back. I cannot wait for next Sunday (got myself, my Dad and son a ticket on Wednesday) and I will be trying my best to get a Season Ticket back. Don't deserve one at all - I technically turned my back on MY club - however, just to have Newcastle United back in my life is worth more than any loyalty points or season ticket ever would be.

Hope my brother is smiling down on the family and all of Newcastle. We all deserve this moment, we've all had our reasons for giving up or still going, there is certainly no right or wrong way to protest with stuff like this. This is our moment and we fucking deserve every single moment. The pub was bouncing last night, Big River on the Jukebox, people with flares. Magical moments that will stay with us all forever.

Times are changing lads and lasses. Can't fucking wait to be part of Newcastle United again.

I was 23 when he took over and really at the height of my obsession with this club. I've been a supporter since Shearer/Keegan, but much of that was through news and highlights. Unfortunately, Ashley's ownership has coincided with a dramatic increase in the availability of Premier League games in America.  For the first six or so years I would schedule my weekends around when we played. I would think all week about the next match. My wife made it into the Chronicle holding a 'Pardew Out' sign while pregnant with our first son. It was around that time I was rooting against us. I wanted Pardew gone. Honestly, it's never been the same since. Rafa provided some hope, but I didn't care as much. 

I've seen NUFC twice in person -- once at SJP and once at WHL. Both under the reign of Ashley / Pardew. Not coincidentally I've never seen us win either. 

I now have three kids and I really look forward to walking into SJP with them one day to see a club that is at least attempting to compete.

I had become apathetic to it all. I thought. I've lost my Dad and my Sister, both too early, in Ashley's tenure so I have learned that there are more important things than a football cub. 

But the emotion of it all these last two days, kinda hurts because of what could have been, but it's like being brought back to life.

There's been some absolutely heartbreaking and powerful posts made by members here since this news started breaking; thank you to those who've felt like they can share. It really can't be understated what the club means to people and families and communities.

I know there are issues with this deal which we, individually and collectively, need to come to terms with and establish a position on that feels comfortable, but God. It just feels like the best thing in the world at the moment. The sense of optimism is absolutely profound. 

Guest HTT II
29 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I had become apathetic to it all. I thought. I've lost my Dad and my Sister, both too early, in Ashley's tenure so I have learned that there are more important things than a football cub. 

But the emotion of it all these last two days, kinda hurts because of what could have been, but it's like being brought back to life.

Sorry for your losses mate, happier times hopefully for everyone! 

Man... it all felt good at the start didn't it. Keegan in. Free scarf. Big hype for his first home game. Then it all went to shit shortly after when he threw a hissy fit, fired Keegan and fucked the fans off. I think some people forget the club has actively been on sale for 13 years. There was a period of time I really didn't think he was that bad, admittedly when I worked at the club for a bit and felt some sort of need to 'defend' the twat. That was dumb. So glad he's gone. 

George Caulkin

@GeorgeCaulkin

·

8h

One small detail. I understand the SD signage at St James’ won’t be coming down for now. It’s a short-term, temporary thing linked to the deal. Won’t be for long though.

...just to stick it to the fans one final time

Edited by duo

Guest HTT II
13 minutes ago, duo said:

George Caulkin

@GeorgeCaulkin

·

8h

One small detail. I understand the SD signage at St James’ won’t be coming down for now. It’s a short-term, temporary thing linked to the deal. Won’t be for long though.

...just to stick it to the fans one final time

They will be replaced by Giggs signs 

7 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

Really sorry to hear that, man. 

I was 20 when he took over. Very active on here and in love with my club, pretty much not been seen since [emoji38]. Disillusioned and disengaged describes it well. 

Living in the midlands outside of a major city means I’ve been mocked by every fan down here who unanimously seems to support Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs or Arsenal. Found a bit of passion under Houghton in the championship, the season we finished 5th and Rafa but completely disengaged after Rafa went. Had 3 kids since then too so they’ve kept me pretty occupied. My eldest is 9, despite not living in the area his entire life he supports Newcastle because of me. Nice to tell him good times are finally coming after yesterday.