Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

Very underwhelming, especially given the names we were supposedly talking to. A bit like the manager search, just more so. I'm half expecting similar in January now

Edited by Sean

I’m hoping Howe has given the owners a list of players he wants/likes and this guy is responsible for negotiating and bringing those players in.

I don't know anything about this guy, but it sounds like he had experience which is a plus.

If he's come in just to be the paper pusher temporarily for the January while they await the appointment of a proper CEO and DoF, and doesn't have any input into who we sign, then it's not a bad thing. At least the owners have the self awareness to know they can't do it on there own while theyre during the hiring stage.

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

I don't know anything about this guy, but it sounds like he had experience which is a plus.

If he's come in just to be the paper pusher temporarily for the January while they await the appointment of a proper CEO and DoF, and doesn't have any input into who we sign, then it's not a bad thing. At least the owners have the self awareness to know they can't do it on there own while theyre during the hiring stage.

This exactly. 

Given he’s going to be a consultant I would expect much. 

he will likely be a point of reference regarding fees and likely give us access to his connections within the game (think agents and intermediaries). 

His remit may also extend to advising the management team how to structure the club on the executive technical side too. 

1 hour ago, MarkyMark said:

This isn’t a Man City / PSG style takeover - it’s been whipped up by the press and Staveley, despite the fact that she seemingly can’t shite without ringing up a reporter, isn’t in a hurry to correct them

It is EXACTLY like those !!!

I understand that our new owners intend to operate less frantically at first, at least partially because of the much stronger FFP rules that are now in place.

But in every other way - principally in the 'aims and objectives' of our new owners - it is exactly the same as Chelsea, Man City and PSG.  

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

I’m hoping Howe has given the owners a list of players he wants/likes and this guy is responsible for negotiating and bringing those players in.

That's what is likely the truth of it, but got to expect some amount of wrist slitting on here, it's just par for the course. 

51 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Where's this idea that he's here just to do the deals and won't have a say in transfers btw? Just guesswork?

Of course, but it's hardly an unreasonable assumption. Why would they want to implement the wider vision of someone they only intend to have around for a few weeks/months? He'll probably have suggestions you'd imagine, mind you, given the nature of his work. 

But due to the temporary nature of his stint and the bare bones management structure, you'd expect his role to be fairly operational. Get a stopgap in to enable the Head Coach to focus as much of his energy as possible on coaching, and for the directors to press on with other strategic corporate priorities. 

Could be wrong of course, and they've recruited him for his scouting abilities in addition to just being someone to get shit done. 

52 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Where's this idea that he's here just to do the deals and won't have a say in transfers btw? Just guesswork?

The more reliable journos are reporting we're working on targets, which means targets have already been identified.

27 minutes ago, manorpark said:

It is EXACTLY like those !!!

I understand that our new owners intend to operate less frantically at first, at least partially because of the much stronger FFP rules that are now in place.

But in every other way - principally in the 'aims and objectives' of our new owners - it is exactly the same as Chelsea, Man City and PSG.  

We have no idea if there their aims and objectives tbh, only time will tell.

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We have no idea if there their aims and objectives tbh, only time will tell.

I think they have been quite clearly explained by the new owners.

Apart from the fact that it is also quite obvious, even if they hadn't already explained them.

Just now, manorpark said:

I think they have been quite clearly explained by the new owners.

Apart from the fact that it is also quite obvious, even if they hadn't already explained them.

They are just words until they start spending. We can’t know that until they do.

All we’ve really heard is a ballpark figure of £50million on transfers per transfer window. And that’s not really a huge outlay these days. 

5 minutes ago, LV said:

They are just words until they start spending. We can’t know that until they do.

All we’ve really heard is a ballpark figure of £50million on transfers per transfer window. And that’s not really a huge outlay these days. 

ALL objectives are words, that is how they are set and explained.

Achieving objectives (not what is being talked about here for obvious reasons) takes time.

As with any new business, 'ballpark expenditure' is a somewhat flexible thing, rarely ever remotely adhered to, and in this case those figures were only given to satisfy some very particular ears!

Edited by manorpark