Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

Perhaps, though I wouldn’t put my house on it.  Memories are short in football.  I was there and heard the mumbling of discontent which starting popping up at the end of the Keegan era.  Like wise the latter days of Robson - and under both men, we’d been in the doldrums when they took over.  And unlike that period, the criticism surrounding the new owners isn’t going to disappear - ever.  Is that bearable if we’re winning all the time?  Maybe.  If we’re another Everton?  I watched their game last night - they’re a similar club to us.  The discontent was palpable. 

Emenalo is a self-publicist and no doubt there’ll be a load of shite coming from his end - but I do wonder if it he’s went into those discussions believing that there’s a massive pot of money coming, and that clashes with what’s actually on offer. 

When we were linked with Tarkowski, Trippier etc I thought ‘wow’.  That would instantly prove my concern wrong - that’s going for targets who’d cost a relative fortune, and would be hard to get.  Hope’s list is more in line with my expectations.  I’d be very happy with those players coming in - the shouty twats on Twitter with their KSA flags in their handle?  Probably not.

And they represent a bigger portion of our support than most would be comfortable with. 

22 hours ago, midds said:

Christ almighty, I know they were caught on the hop a bit when they got the green light but they need to get their shit in a pile asap as that's a horrific tweet (if true obviously). They need someone who knows how the sport operates and can get things done, fucking about in the middle of December will absolutely come back and kick us square in the knackers if they don't get this right. The window is crucial to survival, they MUST see this, we're already staring down the barrel, this appointment (and the subsequent signings made by the chap this window) will go a long way towards deciding which division we're in next season. 

It's importance is critical and it's pretty fucking urgent too. Needs sorting pdq.  

Some of us have seen these warning signs a month ago and were absolutely ridiculed for saying anything.

These appointments absolutely need to be right, because they clearly need the guidance.

I think we’ll get there eventually, but I suspect we’ll see some bumps along the way. Have to hope one of those bumps isn’t the Championship.

4 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

I dunno. It seems to me they look to appoint 'football people' and then get pilloried for not having football people in already, in order to appoint more football people.

Get Dennis Wise in yeah?

Nobody is saying anything of the sort of getting Dennis Wise in.

It’s just a concern that they’re moving at snails pace ahead of the most important transfer window we’ve had in years.

Following poor decisions re: not sacking Bruce quick enough and the fiasco with Emery.

Mad that anyone is happy going into this transfer window with no ‘footballing people’ even at the club. They’ve been here two months. We’ve not got time to piss around.

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

It’s just a concern that they’re moving at snails pace ahead of the most important transfer window we’ve had in years.

Following poor decisions re: not sacking Bruce quick enough and the fiasco with Emery.

Mad that anyone is happy going into this transfer window with no ‘footballing people’ even at the club. They’ve been here two months. We’ve not got time to piss around.

I was hoping we would have signings pretty much announced as soon as it opened, I think that’s pretty much what we need. Still time obviously but it’s unlikely at this stage.

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

I mean, we've had 14 years of utter shite, to say "Mad that anyone is happy" is hyperbole at its finest, I know that getting the hierarchy in is important, but people are generally happy that theyre looking to appoint someone with the right credentials and and more concerned with it being the correct appointment, rather then being rushed for the sake of a single window.

Long term, fine take time, its going to take a long time and there is a lot of work to turn us into a functional club top to bottom everything needs huge revolution. 

Short term we need to wring everything we can out of january transfer window and any marginal gains elsewhere as soon as possible to avoid relegation. this is what i am worried about in terms of how long things are taking. 

I hope the ownership are prepared for possible relegation. It shouldnt be really a disaster, just a frustrating delay on everything  really. 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

I mean, we've had 14 years of utter shite, to say "Mad that anyone is happy" is hyperbole at its finest, I know that getting the hierarchy in is important, but people are generally happy that theyre looking to appoint someone with the right credentials and and more concerned with it being the correct appointment, rather then being rushed for the sake of a single window.

Absolutely. We’ve had 14 years of no due diligence and now we’re getting the most due of due diligence. But there needs to be a limit, especially when the team are currently in a precarious position.

I wouldn’t consider three months to make an appointment before January as “rushed”. That’s the point. They have had ample time to find someone, even with a thorough recruitment process.

Why are they only considering a short term appointment now? They could have done that weeks ago. Have they had to change tact after being unsuccessful in getting someone in? 

What they are doing is a risk. Ultimately I don’t think it’ll matter because I’m confident we’ll survive, but they are still taking too many unnecessary risks imo.

I’m more than pleased with most of their efforts so far. But it’s very RAWK for people to not be able to apply any criticism where it’s warranted, especially when the consortium admit themselves they’ve made mistakes.

31 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Why are they only considering a short term appointment now? They could have done that weeks ago. Have they had to change tact after being unsuccessful in getting someone in?

Possible tbh, but we don't need running commentary as that seems to get skewed by fans and media as amateurish etc.

I just hope they understand the importance of the window, this one especially considering the very realistic proposition of relegation.

I hope they stick by their "we will make mistakes, but we will learn" statement. 

8 weeks they have been here and the impatience is something to behold by some.

Already going at them, why dont you see how things go for a change.   For all you know they may have lined up transfer already and just waiting for the window to open.   Or as you say they haven't thought about it as yet.   Who knows but give them some space man and just hang on for the ride!

10 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Absolutely. We’ve had 14 years of no due diligence and now we’re getting the most due of due diligence. But there needs to be a limit, especially when the team are currently in a precarious position.

I wouldn’t consider three months to make an appointment before January as “rushed”. That’s the point. They have had ample time to find someone, even with a thorough recruitment process.

What they are doing is a risk. Ultimately I don’t think it’ll matter because I’m confident we’ll survive, but they are still taking too many unnecessary risks imo.

I’m more than pleased with most of their efforts so far. But it’s very RAWK for people to not be able to apply any criticism where it’s warranted, especially when the consortium admit themselves they’ve made mistakes.

You know that you reading something in the mail doesn’t mean it just happened today, don’t you? They were more than likely considering a short term appointment as an option from the beginning.

It would make you a very silly person to not be slightly worried that they might fuck January up when they simply can’t afford to. It’s been very chaotic so far so the outside looking in. I appreciate the communication via the owners but they all need to be reading from the same hymn sheet on this one. Again, you get the feeling that there are too many chiefs and not enough indians at board level.

15 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

It would make you a very silly person to not be slightly worried that they might fuck January up when they simply can’t afford to. It’s been very chaotic so far so the outside looking in. I appreciate the communication via the owners but they all need to be reading from the same hymn sheet on this one. Again, you get the feeling that there are too many chiefs and not enough indians at board level.

I dont get that feeling at all.

I don't get the "The new owners have never run a football club" and "We need football people" arguments.

Competence is far more important than experience. Steve Bruce had loads of "experience" of being a football manager, but he was fucking shit at it. Charnley had loads of experience running a football club by the time he left. Conversely, John Hall, Freddy Shepherd etc had no prior experience of running football clubs, but even from the off I think we did alright under their tenure?

People can learn new skills. People can bring existing skills from previous jobs and use them well in new roles. Yeah, hiring really top-drawer recruits in ANY position is always a bonus, but there's no reason to assume we're going to fail just because the new owners are taking on something they've never done before.

Running a football club or signing players isn't some unlearnable task. Again, I'll be delighted if we sign someone fantastic to look after player recruitment, but I'll not shit the bed if we don't.

53 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

I don't agree with any of that, none of it at all.

Edited by manorpark

1 hour ago, BennyBlanco said:

???

17 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I don't get the "The new owners have never run a football club" and "We need football people" arguments.

Competence is far more important than experience. Steve Bruce had loads of "experience" of being a football manager, but he was fucking shit at it. Charnley had loads of experience running a football club by the time he left. Conversely, John Hall, Freddy Shepherd etc had no prior experience of running football clubs, but even from the off I think we did alright under their tenure?

People can learn new skills. People can bring existing skills from previous jobs and use them well in new roles. Yeah, hiring really top-drawer recruits in ANY position is always a bonus, but there's no reason to assume we're going to fail just because the new owners are taking on something they've never done before.

Running a football club or signing players isn't some unlearnable task. Again, I'll be delighted if we sign someone fantastic to look after player recruitment, but I'll not shit the bed if we don't.

The size of this project and future ambitions will dictate that they will not want to run any risks earlier on in process which could have sever consequences at some stage in the future. It’s important they do get the right people in and I’m certain they will do that, it may take time, however. The club has been ran by one man for years with an absent owner who has allowed the club at every level to be left to basically rot. I’d hope, mind, that in Howe and his team, there is enough experience with them to go out and get the players we need, whether we have a CEO or a DOF or not. I’m sure the new owners will be capable of negotiating contracts, finances and such.

14 minutes ago, HTT II said:

The size of this project and future ambitions will dictate that they will not want to run any risks earlier on in process which could have sever consequences at some stage in the future. It’s important they do get the right people in and I’m certain they will do that, it may take time, however. The club has been ran by one man for years with an absent owner who has allowed the club at every level to be left to basically rot. I’d hope, mind, that in Howe and his team, there is enough experience with them to go out and get the players we need, whether we have a CEO or a DOF or not. I’m sure the new owners will be capable of negotiating contracts, finances and such.

Spot on. Take the CEO role, for example - they need someone who knows the league, knows the movers and shakers, can schmooze with them to get what the club wants, and yet is firm enough and respected enough to tell them to get stuffed in the face of any anticompetitive shenanigans. And this is just for the "football side" of the corporation that he (or she) will have to run. There aren't a lot out there who meet these qualifications and most of them are contracted to our rivals in the league.

If Newcastle United has any ambitions whatsoever to be in the big leagues in the medium-to-long term, the corporate hires have to be as thoroughly selected, top-quality candidates, as much as the playing staff. If it takes some time, I'm willing to wait. On the playing side, we have a good manager. Let him pick who he wants to get us out of the bottom three come January. Not hard to do. The CEO and DoF can come in later and work with Howe on post-safety reconstruction and review the squad at that juncture.