Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

It’s absolute negligence that the DOF role wasn’t filled well before January. It should’ve been a higher priority than a manager but that can be forgiven due to the position we were left in. It’s just looks like another case of people successful in separate fields thinking that they know more that football people. 

Just now, CFlan said:

It’s absolute negligence that the DOF role wasn’t filled well before January. It should’ve been a higher priority than a manager but that can be forgiven due to the position we were left in. It’s just looks like another case of people successful in separate fields thinking that they know more that football people. 

It’s far from ideal, they cleared wanted to conduct a very in depth search and get the right guy in. Given the the time taken the appointment has to be absolutely spot on. 

it’s incorrect to state they think they know more than football people though, they’ve hired consultants on the basis they don’t know football and given the reports it’s clear they want to appoint a DOF to sort out the football structure. 

8 minutes ago, CFlan said:

I don't think its a case of thinking they know more than football people. More like their main man might not be available yet.

What’s with the consultants then? Hammond seemingly gone and McPartland and the other guy we’re supposedly left in the dark as soon as the takeover went through. Then you had Harry Redknapp saying he was consulted during the manager search and reports of managers getting cold called by Ghodoussi (who I’ve yet see what his actual role is at the club) It’s been messy as fuck. 

1 minute ago, CFlan said:

What’s with the consultants then? Hammond seemingly gone and McPartland and the other guy we’re supposedly left in the dark as soon as the takeover went through. Then you had Harry Redknapp saying he was consulted during the manager search and reports of managers getting cold called by Ghodoussi (who I’ve yet see what his actual role is at the club) It’s been messy as fuck. 

Of course it’s been messy, it’s not as if it was left in good shape. 

They will definitely make mistakes, past present and future, but if the Saudis are taking this as seriously as Qatar and Abu Dhabi it will come good. 

4 minutes ago, CFlan said:

what on earth… is this true? 

20 minutes ago, CFlan said:

Negligence 🤣 have a word man.

5 minutes ago, DJ_NUFC said:

Aye that’s news to me, fucking hell, that’s alarming! Mind he’s a go white I wouldn’t believe a word he says, he is an absolute whopper!

Edited by HTT II

Just now, CFlan said:

If we end up in the Championship it absolutely is. 

How? I doubt it's any easier appointing DoF's in the middle of a season than it is footballers at the best of times, never mind when a takeover suddenly goes through leaving everything up in the air. Well, you could appoint a crap one I suppose. 

13 minutes ago, DJ_NUFC said:

I’ve not heard the Ghodoussi cold calling one.

But so what? Asking for agents, managers and peoples numbers and then giving them a call isn’t unusual.

What do you want them to do? Send them a letter? 

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

How? I doubt it's any easier appointing DoF's in the middle of a season than it is footballers at the best of times, never mind when a takeover suddenly goes through leaving everything up in the air. Well, you could appoint a crap one I suppose. 

By all accounts that Dan Ashworth wanted it and Brighton let us speak to him. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

By all accounts that Dan Ashworth wanted it and Brighton let us speak to him. 

Yes but that doesn't mean he's going to jump ship in the middle of the season. Might be he's agreed to come in the summer. We don't really know, but I would think for such an important position we'd want to make sure we get the right one. 

You don't reverse 14 years of poor/non existent footballing management on and off the field over night, have mistakes been made? yes of course there has been mistakes and with a high level of media scrutiny there has a lot been written about the club and every choice or inaction they take. The issue is when everything is a priority and it all needs doing now its hard as you need positions filling both on and off the field in nearly every area. I am sure the owners want to be seen as leaving "no stone unturned" but that takes time and this season we don't really have it in spades.

If we were safe but not doing so well we could all probably say to ourselves write the season off its next summer that's important due to the timing of the take over but we are likely down without some strong, swift and immediate action. The fact we are 3 weeks into the window and have no where near what we need to kick on or likely survive is likely to cause people to be annoyed/panic etc.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but hold my final judgement for the end of the window as the season doesn't end Feb 1st if we do go down I would hold the ownership partly to blame as while they haven't been involved in the years that have gone on before they are the only ones that can have an effect on our season i.e. manager, spending etc.

Edited by nufcjmc

It's honestly baffling how many people were Ashley enablers for 14 years under the guise of 'Support the team not the regime'. 

14 years worth of damage done and they throw their toys out because the new owners can't turn it round in 6 months. 

Just now, TRon said:

Yes but that doesn't mean he's going to jump ship in the middle of the season. Might be he's agreed to come in the summer. We don't really know, but I would think for such an important position we'd want to make sure we get the right one. 

Obviously just going of the media reports but by all accounts he was available for now with 2 million compensation, obviously he may not be our first choice mind.