Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

Just now, Bimpy474 said:

Nephew or not, if he's doing/done a good job where he's been, it's not a problem is it ?  Managers like people they know and trust in place.

Depends really - has he got top clubs clamouring for him?  Or is it simple nepotism?

Just now, Doctor Zaius said:

Its the Mail so take it with a healthy dose of salt but if thats the case then they really dont have a clue what they're doing like. :lol:

Why, if we survive this season do you think we are going to be challenging for Europe next year.  I dont.

I think the 1st part of the 10 year plan is:

Years 1-3 - structures in place at all levels and 1st team becomes a comfortable top 10 team.  If achieved then decision made on whether Howe continues in role to take us from top 10 to top 6 or the next step in management personnel is taken.

3 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Depends really - has he got top clubs clamouring for him?  Or is it simple nepotism?

What has top clubs clamouring for him got to do with it, is that the yard stick on how we appoint someone ? 

Of course there's nepotism, it's his nephew, but the point still stands, if he's good at the job it's irrelevant who he is.

Edited by Bimpy474

Just now, Bimpy474 said:

What has top clubs clamouring for him got to do with it, is that the yard on how we appoint someone ? 

Of course there's nepotism, it's his nephew, but the point still stands, if he's good at the job it's irrelevant who he is.

No, though what I really meant was 'would a bigger club than Bournemouth head-hunt him?'

I don't know the answer to that - but if it is 'no', then it is surely simple nepotism

1 minute ago, Awaymag said:

Years 1-3 - structures in place at all levels and 1st team becomes a comfortable top 10 team.  If achieved then decision made on whether Howe continues in role to take us from top 10 to top 6 or the next step in management personnel is taken.

Why does that include a Bournemouth scout who just so happens to be Howe's nephew?

I can understand him wanting his own man within recruitment. That would be fine, if he was one amongst many but we've yet to appoint any other senior staff like.

6 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

No, though what I really meant was 'would a bigger club than Bournemouth head-hunt him?'

I don't know the answer to that - but if it is 'no', then it is surely simple nepotism

Fair point, but why does it have to be simple nepotism as if the bloke is only there because who Eddie is.

Eddie left Bournemouth how long ago ?  If he was only in the job because of Eddie wouldn't Bournemouth have got rid ? The lad was still there, and had been for 10 years (if you believe the info). At face value I'm taking the positive, not the negative on this one.

Just me maybe, but it's clearly not simple nepotism imo.

Edited by Bimpy474

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

Fair point, but why does it have to be simple nepotism as if the bloke is only there because who Eddie is.

Eddie left Bournemouth how long ago ?  If he was only in the job because of Eddie wouldn't Bournemouth have got rid ? The lad was still there, and had been for 10 years (if you believe the info). At face value I'm taking the positive, not the negative in this one.

Just me maybe, but it's clearly not simple nepotism imo.

I agree to an extent - but as I said, the 'optics' aren't good on a prima facie basis.  Tricky as maybe the lad is superb at his job - I've no idea.

It's his nephew but it's also his colleague of ten years at an incredibly successful operation. You can't deny there's a dash of nepotism but Howe (Eddie) isn't an idiot and nor is he unprofessional enough to recruit someone simply as a favour. He's not going to take unnecessary risks given his position; if he fails here he will almost certainly be occupying dugouts in the Football League in his next job(s). 

We're not talking Ashley/Kinnear here. The guy actually has one or two credentials by the sound of it. 

Don't really care for this 'richest club in the world' sarcy stuff, think it's pretty narrow-minded and frankly impatient. It's going to take years to build us up to anything resembling a truly elite operation. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Why does that include a Bournemouth scout who just so happens to be Howe's nephew?

I can understand him wanting his own man within recruitment. That would be fine, if he was one amongst many but we've yet to appoint any other senior staff like.

It doesn't necessarily but the original statement was - they dont know what they are doing in regards to the owners.   I just think people are expecting too much, too soon about the calibre of personnel they expect to be brought in.    We dont know how many positions need to be filled etc.   Also just check Conte comments about Spurs at the weekend - can you imagine if he had taken the NUFC job, he would have walked after a week on seeing the shit we have.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He sounds promising, but he'll be a very small cog in a very large machine. Nothing to shit the bed over.

This is pretty much my thought, we need multiple people in multiple positions, and this dude sounds like a scout type position which got fucking knows we need improvement in. 

Would personally prefer we didn’t hire the managers relative. 

of all the scouts out there we pick this guy, it just doesn’t make sense and is a clear case of nepotism. Sure it’s not a massive deal just makes us look small time. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

of all the scouts out there we pick this guy, it just doesn’t make sense and is a clear case of nepotism. Sure it’s not a massive deal just makes us look small time. 

If he's good at his job and Howe trusts him, who gives a fuck how it makes us look?

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

When we appoint a manager be it Rafa, Eddie and even Pardew. They all bring their own staff, that's nepotism too but we say not much, and why would we ? 

Because we don't recognise it as nepotism ? Maybe but it's no different.

I would totally agree with everything said about patience being needed etc if Staveley hadn't said that the target is to win the PL in 5-10 years. If that's the target, then I think it's very hard to argue that appointments like this align with such a lofty target. 

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

When we appoint a manager be it Rafa, Eddie and even Pardew. They all bring their own staff, that's nepotism too but we say not much, and why would we ? 

Because we don't recognise it as nepotism ? Maybe but it's no different.

They bring coaching staff that’s fine, usually not relatives also mind. 

This is a scout which shouldn’t even be appointed until we actually set up our football structure. 

Just now, ManDoon said:

My massive issue with it, is if he is doing a bad job, Howe is not going to want to sack his nephew. It shouldn't be allowed full stop imo, it's clear conflict of interest. If you were a scout working for Newcastle right now and you'd done a good job then the manager hires his nephew immediately, how does that make you react?

I get what you are saying but our scouts don’t seem to be doing a good job at all really.