Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

8 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Aye him. I saw it on Twitter. Some guy said that the one who mentioned Brands was the one who broke Gerrard to Villa. Don't remember the name of the person. Could be shite. 

This guy 

He's a known WUM. Used to be called thechicoazul. Everton fan. Does it well tbf. :lol:

14 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

He couldn’t get on board with their vision not to offer him a job 

That's what I say whenever I don't get a job offer. 'We didn't share a vision whereby I'm paid for my services, going forward'.

On 29/11/2021 at 11:14, Doctor Zaius said:

The fact that we can't even get a DOF in place, doesn't bode well for getting the players we need for January like. You can be thorough as you like, but the chances are it'll be the same candidates after January as it is now. 

Football moves quick. Howe and Nickson planning the most important January window surely isn't what anyone had in mind?

I'd be relatively confident that Howe could convince those he wanted, to come. It's whether the owners are prepared to pay what it takes. i see no reason why they wouldn't.

There was an interesting youtube post, which for some reason has now been deleted.

Note - this may be due to the Matt Law Tweet, and the NUFC FANS youtube post.

Anyway Tyneside Life points out that it for these prospective DOF's to point out or say 'present' their vision of how the club should move forward.

From what I gathered in the post, what this Emalano fella said/did, didn't fit with what the club were looking for.

For what I also gathered, this post is like, well it is, a job offer, so like with any interview, you have to 'sell yourself' to the offer and likewise you ask questions on what the job entails - if neither of the parties like what they are hearing then there is no offer.

There's no point in picking someone who doesn't agree or understand your policies.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Michael Edwards? Yeah he's leaving at the end of the season.

Thats him, I'm sure there was a report in The Athletic that Howe spent time in Liverpool with him a few days before he was announced 

Just now, Ben said:

Thats him, I'm sure there was a report in The Athletic that Howe spent time in Liverpool with him a few days before he was announced 

Yep, they're still quite close from the sounds of reports. Lot's of adding 2 and 2 to make 5 going on, given the announcement that Edwards is leaving Liverpool. He'd be an amazing choice here though.

Christ almighty, I know they were caught on the hop a bit when they got the green light but they need to get their shit in a pile asap as that's a horrific tweet (if true obviously). They need someone who knows how the sport operates and can get things done, fucking about in the middle of December will absolutely come back and kick us square in the knackers if they don't get this right. The window is crucial to survival, they MUST see this, we're already staring down the barrel, this appointment (and the subsequent signings made by the chap this window) will go a long way towards deciding which division we're in next season. 

It's importance is critical and it's pretty fucking urgent too. Needs sorting pdq.  

Sounds good to me.

We really don't know the extent of the damage left by the negligence, mismanagement and penny-pinching of the previous regime, but I can imagine they walked into a total shitshow. For instance, Eddie Howe has come in at pitch level with the expectation of keeping afloat an absolutely broken football team that couldn't buy a win. It stands to reason that the context is similar at a corporate level, and Staveley et al are starting their game 3-0 down. For that reason they get a bit of a free pass on stuff like this, much in the same way Howe will do if the tanker takes a while to turn (unless he's doing objectively mad shit like putting full-backs up front, etc).

Staveley and Ghodoussi have never run a football club. They need advisors and, you can imagine, they simply need more people and bodies at the club to get their plan underway. It was clear for years that there hasn't been any corporate structure or noteworthy business minds in the building, so it's really no wonder they're outsourcing. It's probably not that peculiar anyway. 

Obviously agree the three situation is pressing what with January around the corner but you'd suspect there's enough competence at the football level to get a few bodies in. We don't have to have a DoF in order to work the admin associated with securing two or three players. It's not like this transfer window is any time to implement the long-term vision. Let Howe pick some names and get him involved in the negotiating if needs be. 

Look at the shit with Rafa and the Everton DoF. Last thing we need in Jan is an additional decision maker in the mix - it has to be recruiting based on who Howe identifies is needed immediately to keep us in the PL, not based on a long term strategy.

Edited by Hhtoon

I'm not really fussed how they attack January, as long as there is a clear decision making process.

Loans is an obvious one - if they're looking at them, then Howe should have a lot of, if not total, authority to make six month deals. Loans to buy are great in theory, but it adds an extra layer of complexity in making a decision and it might be an ace when trying to get players: "Nah, you can have him back if you just want him to get some game time and reassess" or something.

Permanent signings don't require a DoF/SD, but we're assuming we want the consortium to have a broad and long-term vision established, and acquire players on that basis. Rumours of Staveley and Mehrdad approaching players agents are a bit concerning if true. It's important we get footballing acumen in decision-making positions - but I'm pretty comfortable giving Howe licence to manage January and get someone above him in February. Tell him he's free to arrange a couple of blue ribbon loan signings and a few permanent signings in the top Championship/lower PL/fringe CL market - then someone else comes in to prepare for a big summer.

1 minute ago, OCK said:

JUST BRING IN JOE KINNEAR ALREADY FFS

Unrealistic to entice a world up winner and three times PL manager of the year, who scouted Kebabs and Insomnia in our current situation.

Given the journalist, that list is probably correct - he clearly has a line to Staveley (and the notion that Charnley leaked the Emery story?  Behave.  Staveley hasn’t been able to stop gobshiting to the media for years.  It’s her job). 

It doesn’t look like a daft list of players, given our position.  The problem they’re going to have is that a huge swathe of the support think that a PSG/ Man City style spending splurge is coming.  I doubt that very, very much.  Not just because of who would come at present - I don’t think PIF are just going to hoy money at this.  Staveley talked last year about £50m per window on top of what the club can bring in - it’s more than we’re used to, but it doesn’t stretch as far as some are thinking.

Edit: if this turns out to be the case - modest investment, sure and steady etc - I wonder how many will think that the constant linking to KSA will be worth it at that point.  The joy of Ashley going won’t last forever - and if we’re scratching around in mid table for a significant period, the frustration will follow. 

Edited by MarkyMark