Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

42 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Of course, but it's hardly an unreasonable assumption. Why would they want to implement the wider vision of someone they only intend to have around for a few weeks/months? He'll probably have suggestions you'd imagine, mind you, given the nature of his work. 

But due to the temporary nature of his stint and the bare bones management structure, you'd expect his role to be fairly operational. Get a stopgap in to enable the Head Coach to focus as much of his energy as possible on coaching, and for the directors to press on with other strategic corporate priorities. 

Could be wrong of course, and they've recruited him for his scouting abilities in addition to just being someone to get shit done. 

Definitely not an unreasonable assumption like, I just hope they themselves aren't working on opposing assumptions and it's been made crystal clear what the roles are internally.

18 minutes ago, manorpark said:

ALL objectives are words, that is how they are set and explained.

Achieving objectives (not what is being talked about here for obvious reasons) takes time.

As with any new business, 'ballpark expenditure' is a somewhat flexible thing, rarely ever remotely adhered to, and in this case those figures were only given to satisfy some very particular ears!

Well yeah, I’m hoping that the figures quoted were just for the consumption of clubs we are trying to buy from so they don’t think we have endless pots of cash.

All I’m saying is that until January (or more realistically summer 2022) we won’t know for sure what the reality is of what we will be spending. 

2 minutes ago, dcmk said:

Wouldn't be adverse to Kevin Keegan as DoF.

He can still spot a good player, his attacking philosophy of football hasn't disappeared in the modern game.

As nice as a thought this is, I imagine his appetite for the game (in respect of the operations side at least) is long gone now.

1 hour ago, LV said:

Well yeah, I’m hoping that the figures quoted were just for the consumption of clubs we are trying to buy from so they don’t think we have endless pots of cash.

All I’m saying is that until January (or more realistically summer 2022) we won’t know for sure what the reality is of what we will be spending. 

We tried to get Unai Emery as manager, probably the most highly qualified manager who would consider us at this point in time. I think that should give some reassurance we will be hiring the best when they are available, whether that's in the boardroom or the playing squad.

29 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Carr would be hailed a genius under a diff owner. Kante/salah/Vertonghen/Alderweirled/Varane/Laca/Dele Alli/ that’s off the top of my head players they could have got cheap and didn’t. He’s actually a very very good scout 

And PEA and Lacazette to that collection also.

Carr has to be getting on now hasn't he? If he's still got the passion I think there should be a role for him. Clearly knew his stuff.

With the way Ashley always went to the bottom of whatever lists he compiled, I'd guess he'd have no issue simply being some sort of senior scout, swanning about and putting lists together for Howe/DoF to then decide on who to pursue and not get involved in the actual recruitment side.

46 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

In a 2020 interview with the Daily Mail, former chief scout Graham Carr explained how he watched Varane when he was 17-years-old.

“I saw Raphael Varane play for Lens when he was 17 and I called Derek Llambias (managing director) that night,” Carr “

We truly are cursed you know 

Imagine making that call already knowing the answer.