Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

A lot of these big name directors of football sound great on paper, but I would also imagine they come with big egos aswell. 

They’ll want someone to fit with their ideas on how club should be run, the last thing we need is someone trigger happy fella who wants a new manager every 6 months because they disagree on signings etc.

This bloke would seem an ideal fit with Howe, I’d be delighted with him.

Edited by Whitley mag

On Brighton’s forum, in response to someone saying that they haven’t seen the benefits of Ashworth’s work yet…

“Apart from Sanchez, Lamptey becoming key first team players at 21 & 24. Richards having a few PL appearances, a U23 team that has really kicked on in the U23 PL, a WSL team that has gone from relegation fodder to Top 4/6 team ..... 

He was also part of the team that oversaw a transition from one of the oldest squads in the PL to one of the youngest in fairly quick time without any detriment

Oh and having many players out on loan in the EFL, top flight European leagues (more so than we have ever had)”

Personally, for a club with the budget and expectations Brighton have, I’m not sure what more he could have done there in the time he’s been there. I’d be delighted if we get him. 

2 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Boils my piss when people are scoffing at properly run clubs like Brighton being the best they can be.

We are literally the only club in the top flight who have been run the exact opposite way, intentionally crippled. Ashley literally took the copper wiring out of the building when this club was sold.

A shell of a stadium, shell of a club structure, shells of players.

This isn't speed chess, rebuilding this i mean, this is start from scratch while somehow attempt to get a tune out of the first team. It's going to take time.

The news of this guy being interviewed just shows they are playing a long game and not making panic decisions and also seem to have faith in an English run structure, which has surprised me.

100% this. 

A guy who set up a winning structure within the England setup and built this very modern structure within the restrictions that Brighton has - give him a bigger budget and the remit to emulate the very best clubs in the world. But hey since he wasn't already plucked by Monaco or City or Liverpool he must just be underwhelming.  You can only judge him on his CV (if you read the details of what he did for England and Brighton) you'd judge that he has performed quite well for his job. 

Edited by Kanji

Just now, Kanji said:

100% this. 

A guy who set up a winning structure within the England setup and built this very modern structure within the restrictions that Brighton has - give him a bigger budget and the remit to emulate the very best clubs in the world. But hey since he wasn't already plucked by Monaco or City or Liverpool he must just be underwhelming. 

Needs a safety eyeroll-smiley at the end :lol:

There's a few interviews on YouTube with him. Certainly talks a good game. Nice to have a footballing man involved at a high level.

He also talked about his responsibilities not just being transfers but being a medium to long term thinker.

Transfers, loans, youth development, women's team, medical department etc all fall under his umbrella at Brighton.

Perhaps not having a big headed gobshite like Emenalo might not be a bad thing.

BBC article made it sound like he was just one of a few candidates being interviewed. Also that Brighton were confident he would stay with Brighton once the interview was done.

Find it ironic I was expecting a continental manager, DoF etc. While fearing a British PFM. Now it looks like we might end up with completely British coaches, DOF and predominantly English signings... and I am totally on board. 

Emery was in no small part due to Staveley being unable to see a journalist without talking.  But Emenalo always came across as an arrogant self-publicist - I did get a good laugh out of Ghodoussi shooting that one down in flames.

Edited by MarkyMark

While I welcome football people in football positions, I think we all should keep an open mind as to how much money will be spent long-term on the club.

On the face of it we’ve employed a manager recently relegated from Bournemouth and are about to take a DOF from Brighton, which doesn’t scream unlimited riches as is being suggested in some quarters.  Even Amanda Staveley has suggested £50m per window.

I’d love to be wrong and this is no way a criticism of Howe’s appointment or performance so far, by the way. I’m encouraged by our structure and the way we get forward now.

Edited by Sima

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

While I welcome football people in football positions, I think we all should keep an open mind as to how much money will be spent long-term on the club.

On the face of it we’ve employed a manager recently relegated from Bournemouth and are about to take a DOF from Brighton? which doesn’t scream unlimited riches as is being suggested in some quarters.  Even Amanda Staveley has suggested £50m per window.

I’d love to be wrong and this is no way a criticism of Howe’s appointment or performance so far, by the way.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle, the sound bites we got at the beginning was slow build, within FFP, long term project. Of course she has said money is available so guessing at this point if we were to spend every single window and while we maybe do set an initial budget we possibly wont be afraid to go over that for the right player/deal this is still light years ahead of where we ever were with Ashley. No one knows at this point if the current position we are are in makes them think well dropping out of the league hurts us 100m so we will spend that in the hope of staying up or we wheel and deal as best we can and plan for staying up or going down for next season. 

I think they should acknowledge with our current position and infrastructure you cant buy your way to being an elite club as easy as it was in previous take overs due to 1 how far behind we are in every department and 2 sticking to the current FFP rules. While we may be willing to chuck money at the problem academy, facilities, padding out of staff, improvements in every department may take a few years and in that time may not make an immediate impact with on the field stuff. 

8 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle, the sound bites we got at the beginning was slow build, within FFP, long term project. Of course she has said money is available so guessing at this point if we were to spend every single window and while we maybe do set an initial budget we possibly wont be afraid to go over that for the right player/deal this is still light years ahead of where we ever were with Ashley. No one knows at this point if the current position we are are in makes them think well dropping out of the league hurts us 100m so we will spend that in the hope of staying up or we wheel and deal as best we can and plan for staying up or going down for next season. 

I think they should acknowledge with our current position and infrastructure you cant buy your way to being an elite club as easy as it was in previous take overs due to 1 how far behind we are in every department and 2 sticking to the current FFP rules. While we may be willing to chuck money at the problem academy, facilities, padding out of staff, improvements in every department may take a few years and in that time may not make an immediate impact with on the field stuff. 

I also think that although we looked like a well run club financially to prospective buyers and a profit making organisation I think the new owners would have gotten a shock at what it has cost the club to do that and they have a bigger project  in their hands than what they first thought