Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

The fact Brighton are not a big club is part of the problem.  If we are looking to break into the top 8 in the next couple of seasons, why are we signing a TD with zero experience of the top 8? 

it looks to me like we are setting up to become a solid mid table side. Which is an improvement and perhaps a necessary step.  But I would like someone at the club with some experience of the level above If that’s our end goal. 

There's no reason at all to conclude that, IMO. We're setting up with someone who can rebuild a shite organisation and run everything to the highest standard. With more money, presumably he can go higher than Brighton have.

The fact Brighton are not a big club is part of the problem.  If we are looking to break into the top 8 in the next couple of seasons, why are we signing a TD with zero experience of the top 8? 

it looks to me like we are setting up to become a solid mid table side. Which is an improvement and perhaps a necessary step.  But I would like someone at the club with some experience of the level above If that’s our end goal. 

Is it not possible that he's proved himself at that level and is now ready to make the step up? 

Brighton aren’t aspirational to me. They’ve done well and are midtable. Nice team. Nice manager. Low expectations. 

as I said, the signings have been good not great.  They invested more but it’s not like Brighton have done A1 business like signed Mahrez and Kante for 10m. 

What do you mean by aspirational though? 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

There's no reason at all to conclude that, IMO. We're setting up with someone who can rebuild a shite organisation and run everything to the highest standard. With more money, presumably he can go higher than Brighton have.

Why not bring someone in with experience of challenging for Europe then?

a Technical Director I want for 3-5 years.  In 5 years we should be challenging for CL. Id like a TD with experience of that level.  

Worth revisiting this excellent post from rgk_lfc imo. 

On 21/12/2021 at 17:32, rgk_lfc said:

Have to disagree a bit on that statement. Once FSG fired Kenny Dalglish, their first real appointment was the manager of Swansea. That was also the time they setup the current version of LFC transfer committee. Members of that include Edwards (who was number crunching at Portsmouth and Spurs before that), Julian Ward (Played for Morecambe, scout for City and had a informatics background), Graham (Phd in Physics background and working in a sports analytics company and was at Swansea for sometime I believe).  Did not exactly scream elite. Those appointments along with Klopp set the foundation for our league and CL win. 

British unis are doing high tech research in data analytics, machine learning etc. Not just Oxbridge, but universities at all levels have high level data mining researchers which are producing graduates with top level data skills. This has led a number of talented young folks who are applying these skills to things they are passionate about like football. Michael Edwards for example had a Bachelors in Information Science. One of the reasons for our success is the analytics team setup at LFC which are primarily these young graduates combined with football folks who understand data.  In terms of scouting and performance analysis,  there is no need to search for them in places like Bayern or Sevilla or Madrid or Dortmund. If you are looking to employ smart scouting, folks like Edwards and Ashworth are as good if not better than anywhere else in the world. 

Also appointment of these folks doesn't mean the owners are not going to spend money. It doesnt mean you are trying to get things done on the cheap.  Klopp first choice for left attacker was Gotze. Gotze was showing reluctance to come to England. Edwards and team convinced him to spend more money on Mane. Similarly Brandt was Klopp's first choice. The scouting team strongly advised him to consider Salah over Brandt. Again, we spent more on Salah than what we would have on Brandt. Klopp was reluctant to spend a world record fee on VVD and Allison. The transfer committee pushed for both these transfers. Appointment of folks like Ashworth and Edwards, ensures that you have value and consistency in the transfers, whether you spend 10 or 100 or 1000 million. Their role is not just to get a a 40 million player for 25 million. These are the kind of folks who will state rather than spend 25 million on this player, spending 40 million on the other will have more impact. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

a Technical Director I want for 3-5 years.  In 5 years we should be challenging for CL. Id like a TD with experience of that level.  

He transformed the England set up and helped make them contenders, that’s arguably the biggest and hardest job in world football.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He's going to be working with a much bigger budget here than he had at Brighton man :lol:

The hire is more about the contacts he has and his ability to build a framework and structure that runs to a very high level.

This is so strange ...

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Brighton aren’t aspirational to me. They’ve done well and are midtable. Nice team. Nice manager. Low expectations. 

as I said, the signings have been good not great.  They invested more but it’s not like Brighton have done A1 business like signed Mahrez and Kante for 10m. 

we can't go from 0 to 100 in one step.   We need to build the foundations and bring the whole club up to a level to then take the big step.   Thats why Conte etc were no starters - they would struggle at NUFC at the moment as there is no structure/support structure that they are used to, in place at the moment

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

But the technical director sets up the club, decides on how to use resources, organises the other departments like scouting and all that. Makes sure the club has a vision and knows where it wants to go.

I don't see how where his previous club finished in the table is important. Give Brighton 50k fans, unlimited wealth and then see where they go.

I think the appeal is that he has done well in improving the whole of the club. I would have ideally liked someone like Luis Campos but as far as I’ve seen he doesn’t do much in terms of improving youth structure’s, or anything in regards to the women’s side of the game which is seemingly very important to the new ownership.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

A good technical director performs at the level relative to how much money they have at their disposal.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Someone needs to pull up our resident Liverpool fan's post about their recruitment team and how "underwhelming" it appears on paper.

It's just been pulled up a couple of posts above yours. Really really good post.

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Well unfortunately we are below Brighton as a set up, so that's the starting point. He's helped build Brighton into what it is now, we need that and whereas Brighton have a ceiling imo, We do not, he can push us on to that next level.

Our foundations have to put in place before we even think of anything else.

Edited by Bimpy474

3 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Is it not possible that he's proved himself at that level and is now ready to make the step up? 

Yeh it’s possible. But I would like evidence to know it’s possible 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

What do you mean by aspirational though? 

Something to emulate.  I want Ashwoeth to do things better than they’ve he’s done before over the next 24 Month. I don’t know who signed those Leicester players or Monaco, Benfica etc. I would say yeh do what you’ve been doing just do it more.  Here’s the extra funds. 

Leicester winning the league was an anomaly. But they have signed multiple players for cheap that have gone on to play at the highest level. Southampton back in the day too. Whoever brought in those players m, would get me excited. 

this isn’t to say Ashworth will flop.  He’s just not done anything In his career to excite me. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Something to emulate.  I want Ashwoeth to do things better than they’ve he’s done before over the next 24 Month. I don’t know who signed those Leicester players or Monaco, Benfica etc. I would say yeh do what you’ve been doing just do it more.  Here’s the extra funds. 

Leicester winning the league was an anomaly. But they have signed multiple players for cheap that have gone on to play at the highest level. Southampton back in the day too. Whoever brought in those players m, would get me excited. 

this isn’t to say Ashworth will flop.  He’s just not done anything In his career to excite me. 

I think Lamptey will go on to play at the highest level, he was signed because of Ashworth's extensive knowledge of club's academies. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Signings are just one aspect of his role, the rest of the role is what is key here.

The reality is for about a decade or so Lee Charnley ran this club, that's it. You had him and then a manager, with some recruitment people too.

For me the structure and having joined up thinking is what I'm more interested in and excited about. That's what will transform us as a club. 

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You seem to be confusing the DoF role with the chief scout role. We don't just need some better players, we need the entire footballing side of the club gutted and brought to a much higher level.

I totally get that he's not a star name out of the handful that there are, but what he has done is really impressive.

Overhauling the England setup to the extent that's it's unrecognisable from the ones it followed on from is nothing to shake a stick at. England have gone from perpetual underachievers, where the 'best' players were being picked with no eye on cohesion or identity, bumbling from one manager to the next with seemingly no community spirit in the camp to something much better. In under a decade it's gone from that to one that's now more like a club. It has an identity that runs through from grass roots to the first team, with players brought into the fold to fit around that rather than the other way around, and it's clear as day that the players all get on so well and that there's a spirit with the players that wasn't there in the past. 

All of that would be impressive enough on its own, but the fact that it's resulted in England getting to a World Cup semi and a Euros final with Gareth Southgate as manager (who's bought into it all too) within 2 or 3 years is something that would have been completely ridiculed by everyone only a few years ago, it's incredibly impressive. 

The idea of giving someone who's largely credited with being the architect of all that the tools to give Newcastle the same sort of overhaul, with an elite level budget of players to go for, is really exciting to me. 

Edited by Kid Icarus
grammar

4 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

You seem to be confusing the DoF role with the chief scout role. We don't just need some better players, we need the entire footballing side of the club gutted and brought to a much higher level.

Exactly, recruitment is just one aspect and tbf we already seem to be doing a decent job of identifying good players, obviously league position/January made it challenging to sign them

In that video shared earlier he talks about 6 things he's responsible for, that's the stuff that we need and it needs to be joined up, all throughout the club