The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

I almost feel like this shouldn’t be in the football section. It’s got nothing to do with the football side of things.

I still don’t know where I stand on it all but Newcastle United is a football club and for the sporting integrity of the club it was imperative that Ashley was replaced by people with a vision. The consortium have that vision and I’ll judge them primarily as their actions as owners.

What I’m 100% uncomfortable with is the flags, Saudi traditional dress, jokes about embassies etc.  

Square it with yourself by remembering we have 4 equal partners

Amanda (woman) Mehrdad (Iranian) PIF (Muslim) Reuben (Jew)

Muslims and Women as equal partners on the board

Muslims and Jews working together!

We're pretty much supporting world peace

50 minutes ago, GWN said:

No, I really don’t .

The Saudis have been a business partner with the UK for years , why be any different around them now? 

I get the feeling of some but sorry I just dont feel guilty one little bit.

I'm not saying you should feel guilty, it's completely out of our hands and the football morality ship having since sailed.

It is possible to feel incredibly excited about what's about to come but also concerned about who and why they own us. You can feel both.

55 minutes ago, GWN said:

No, I really don’t .

The Saudis have been a business partner with the UK for years , why be any different around them now? 

I get the feeling of some but sorry I just dont feel guilty one little bit.

Good point this, if you view Newcastle United as strictly a business.

I'm comfortable with our new owners. It's not for a football fan to bring Saudi Arabia's human rights record to the worlds attention when governments around the world turn a blind eye to it.

Edited by Scoot

25 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Of course I have misgivings about the way that Saudi Arabia operates as a country but I find it fairly easy to subscribe to the If My Country Sells Them Weapons Then I Don't See Why They Can't Bankroll My Club school of thought.  There are plenty of other incidental things which improve my life but are not essentials that I should have ethical misgivings about which I choose to ignore; this will be another one.  That might be reprehensible, but I've squared it with my conscience and by the same token personally speaking I don't give a fuck about anybody who chooses to celebrate with a Saudi flag or whatever.  I'm long past being embarrassed on behalf of other people, or feeling that their actions reflect on me.

The thing I really don't understand is why it's Newcastle United fans being held to account over it throughout the media.  Easy targets, I guess.

Are you not opposed to your country selling them weapons though?

I'd be very uncomfortable if KSA had directly bought us. Luckily its just a company based in KSA and that's what the PL decided. That decision wasn't ours and its been made, nothing we can do, just like the last owner.

Get out of jail technicalities aside, all I hope is them purchasing a very western institution helps influence where they go to in the next decade. That it brings a new way of thinking and Saudi citizens enjoy the ride. 

In terms of Yemen i'm not going to pretend to know what to do there. Another war where parties have been dragged in and a stalemate drags it out on the people of the Country. It wasn't so long ago the UK was bombing and killing civilians in another Country they had no right to be in. The US did just that this year. So stones and glass houses. One thing I do take away from what i've learned from wars across the globe is that the west need to shed their arrogance that they can steam in and sort shit out. In the end they tend to just make things worse.

FML man

Be happy were rid of the worst owner & manager we've had in possibly anyones living memory to be transformed into possibly the wealthiest & most successful club in the world over the next 20 years  (which will see me out) & people start shite like this.

Enjoy the fkin ride man & stick ya predispositions up yer arse 

honestly FO man 

I feel no guilt but I like to think I’m a pretty sympathetic guy, so I find it hard not to feel sorry for the likes of Hatice Cengiz or other victims of the human rights abuses when I see Saudi investment celebrated like this. 

However, this is ultimately about business and not the Saudi state becoming heroes. They gain something here and so do we. I’m not sure how much involvement PIF will have in the day to day running of the club, but they could well be decent people involved in it as I imagine most Saudis are. They may not all have the moral compass of the Bin Salmans and the PIF is ‘separate’ after all. Seeing MBS as the PIF chair makes me feel a bit more uneasy but he may have nothing to do with us. 

I also don’t really agree with the sports washing narrative. To an extent it’s true but I feel the investment raises our awareness more of human rights abuses once these countries become more involved in western society. 

Edited by St. Maximin

25 minutes ago, InspectorCoarse said:

Its not our fault their mindset is stuck in the 7th century - get over it 

Don't underestimate how difficult it is to adapt your country to western moral values at the same time as being the host of Islam.

Simply by the Saudi PIF being massively involved with us, there will be increased integration of Saudi Culture with UK culture. There will be huge numbers of opportunities for us to influence them (in this regard) rather more than the other way round.

OK, they are already hugely active in the UK (as discussed many times) but the PIF and NUFC link will take it to another level, publicity-wise.

This deal over the coming years will be very transformative (quietly perhaps at first) for the people of Saudi Arabia.

It is a VERY good thing indeed, all round.

Edited by manorpark

Please find me 1 billionaire who isn't a capitalist pig. Almost all have a different stain on them. Take more than they give

We don't get a say on owners. We have absolutely no say.

This is getting tiresome 

I'm glad you made this thread @UncleBingo rightly or wrongly I've been anxious about this all of yesterday, even dreamed about it last night and haven't had much sleep truth be told, but hearing some of the takes in here and hearing some different views on it has made me feel much better about the situation.

I just want to enjoy the ride and see just how far we can go, while keeping a dialogue online and with mates/family about the saudis and what they're about.

Really as fans, what more can anyone expect of us?

23 minutes ago, Rompe said:

Are you not opposed to your country selling them weapons though?

You seem to have mistaken me for a diplomat dude; I'm just a miner's son from Northumberland

Has anyone asked your average Saudi what they make of this.

There’s every chance they are fucking loving it, for all we know they might have had Dire Straits booming out downtown Riyadh last night.

They have their culture and the western world is arrogant to presume they should live like we do.

Personally speaking there is a lot to like about Middle Eastern culture, the Dubai metro is immaculate you can’t even eat or drink on it.

Compare that to the yobs who graffiti and vandalise our metro. They wouldn’t fucking dare do that over there.

I find the folk over there respectful, sophisticated and friendly.

Lets not presume things we have no idea about. Everything might not be perfect over there, but it’s certainly not a perfect world over here either.

Enjoy the ride, if you have concerns fine but don’t beat yourself up would be my advice.

Edited by Whitley mag

25 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

FML man

Be happy were rid of the worst owner & manager we've had in possibly anyones living memory to be transformed into possibly the wealthiest & most successful club in the world over the next 20 years  (which will see me out) & people start shite like this.

Enjoy the fkin ride man & stick ya predispositions up yer arse 

honestly FO man 

Fuck you pal, you don't get to tell people how they should think.

I’m not conflicted about the takeover. I’d flat out rather it wasn’t happening in all honesty. Of course I’m delighted we’re rid of Ashley and all the misery that comes with it, but yeah… I don’t feel an ounce of excitement about this at all. It’s completely wrong on every level in my opinion. I was already boycotting the club and fairly numb to it so not a lot has changed for me personally really. I don’t have that “I’ve got my club back” feeling that others have.

Having said all that though, I have kind of managed to come to terms with it because ultimately; a) the amount of people it has brought happiness to in the NE is awesome and b) what can I do about it? There isn’t a wider desire to do anything about it. All I can do is hope it brings happiness to the fans.

I feel like I should also point out that I’m not judgemental at all of anyone who disagrees with me. It is a silver lining for me that others are able to enjoy their club again after 14 years of absolute shit.

26 minutes ago, morpeth mag said:

Don't underestimate how difficult it is to adapt your country to western moral values at the same time as being the host of Islam.

There is more than one Islam ( Indonesia for instance ) but Saudi is epicentre of Salafist and nothing short of a revolution is going to shift that mindset and thats  up to the Saudi people not us 

I'm uncomfortable purely because it's clear as day that sportwashing is a reality and my observations are that as a fanbase we've succumbed to it (me included) in a huge way and I really really hoped we wouldn't. 

I was always willing to accept my own hypocrisies with this, because let's be honest, this opportunity is literally a once in a lifetime thing, but I've done so with the caveat that I would try not to defend the indefensible and would be happy to acknowledge and accept condemnation of it. 

But what's struck me the most, is the sheer number of people (albeit tweets and occasional media peices) from people trying to deflect away from  blatant atrocities that are being committed by the Kingdom, but even more significant; the almost universal condemnation and mockery of public figures with absolutely legitimate and genuinly horrifying grievances, such as the finance of Jamal Khasoggi. It makes me cringe everytine I hear or read someone mocking them. 

Final point of note, is that once you actually take a step back and think this whole thing through, PIF/KSA are legitimately the bad guys in this whole saga, I don't know how anyone can question  otherwise. 

However, having said all that, football is my escape from the realities of the world, I just don't have the energy, capacity or mental strength to be able to take a moral stance in every single issue that's out there and so ultimately, I feel comfortable continuing to support Newcastle and be genuinly exicted for both the club's future as well as the city and region as a whole.

Edited by Thumbheed