The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

In reality this will blow over to some extent. NUFC will be operated as a completely separate and independent investment entity with zero influence from KSA beliefs/laws - LGBTQ or women won't be banned from attending games, we'll get a women's football team, Amanda Staveley will continue to be the face of the consortium etc.

Anything else would damage their investment which would go completely against PIFs purpose. 

Questions have already been asked to Staveley and she's answered. I'm sure they'll continue to be asked and she'll return the same message.

As supporters, we should be doing our best to keep the ties to KSA to a minimum until the furore dies down.

Edited by Hhtoon

The sports washing bit only comes really into focus when we win something - at that point we are generating great publicity for them . Anytime they donate to a local charity or jobs are created , buildings go up with their money etc . So , who wants to say no to all of the above ? 

Its tough this, I go backwards and forwards between just focusing on the football side and enjoy it to.... how can we be associated with a brand like this.

I really don't want to be a Debbie downer, especially considering most of my friends and family are buzzing off their tits and embracing it, but I think its important to express it.

I'm hoping it gets easier over time and I can think of us and the saudi regime as a separate thing which has no bearing on our own morals and practices.

Its a weird situation that I've never really had to deal with before, even though I probably shouldn't I do feel like I'm carrying some guilt.

35 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Trump missed a trick, he should have bought a team. 

:lol: he was sniffing around the Bills a few years back. I’d have yeeted myself off a cliff Yao-meme style.

I think if we’re going to examine other countries’ rap sheet we might take time to examine our own country’s history. Think we will all find a fair few reprehensible things there - which is why making us as fans responsible for the dealings of the nation is completely mad. We would also have to question why fans support national teams too. It’s just mad. Enjoy the fucking ride lads, when we’re all old and pissing ourselves at least we may be able to say we saw NUFC win something.

Assigning morality within a capitalist endeavour is futile. You can't pick & choose where you comfort of 'bad' lays, because that would be myopic.

Either acknowledge the entire system for the destructive shit show that it is or naught

Edited by Roids

Daniel Levy apparently tried to sell spurs to the Saudis in 2019,

for £2.5b, plus an additional £1b in add-on fees.

what a hypocrite this man is.

https://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2021/10/9/22718015/tottenham-hotspur-news-negotiations-saudi-arabia-private-investment-fund-newcastle-sale-2019

Edited by prefabtoon

2 hours ago, UncleBingo said:

Where is yours?

What if the club start putting out Saudi flags for fans to wave? (as an example)

It's almost certain we'll be paraded in friendlies over there. You happy with that? Or what happens if they start pushing for overseas league games in Riyadh?

I just don't see this as a binary in or out choice personally.

It is a binary situation. If they parade us with friendlies over there I won't really give a shit. In fact I hope they do.

If the club puts out flags to wave then I would object....but they won't so it's a stupid scenario to float in the first place. 

Honestly, if you really don't like having Saudi owners, withdraw your support. It's your right, no one can stop you. 

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Are they? Good. About time.

Was trending on my timeline the after the takeover. Tottenham Hotspur Property Club seems to be their line. Finally worked out his penny pinching cited as prudent management isn't all quite as good as it seemed and now he’s flailing and wasting cash AOTS. 

Of course, he’s not their main shareholder so you can’t criticise too much but he’s more than happy to be the face of it and he came across a right needy little fucker on that documentary too. Why’s he hanging around the players and coaches so much? Very odd.

26 minutes ago, TRon said:

It is a binary situation. If they parade us with friendlies over there I won't really give a shit. In fact I hope they do.

If the club puts out flags to wave then I would object....but they won't so it's a stupid scenario to float in the first place. 

Honestly, if you really don't like having Saudi owners, withdraw your support. It's your right, no one can stop you. 

I don't think it is a binary situation as this thread has proved, there are others who are uncomfortable being owned by Saudis but excited about what our future holds.

The flag thing was a purely hypothetical question, so not sure why it was stupid.

I'm fully aware I can walk away just as I did under Ashley, but I'm aware that if I come back because we start spending a load of cash, it's going to make the moral argument for staying away under Ashley seem more than a bit hypocritical.

I'm really undecided what to do in all honesty, hence the thread.

Pretty wild how far this thread has gotten from “I’m a NUFC supporter who is uncomfortable with the fact that the club is now associated with the Saudi government.” Which is a fairly unobjectionable statement and the offense that some seem have taken from it is entirely misplaced.

4 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

I don't think it is a binary situation as this thread has proved, there are others who are uncomfortable being owned by Saudis but excited about what our future holds.

The flag thing was a purely hypothetical question, so not sure why it was stupid.

I'm fully aware I can walk away just as I did under Ashley, but I'm aware that if I come back because we start spending a load of cash, it's going to make the moral argument for staying away under Ashley seem more than a bit hypocritical.

I'm really undecided what to do in all honesty, hence the thread.

I would suggest don't worry about it too much until we see some evidence the Saudis are trying to use their pernicious influence. Personally I am happy to take Staveley's word on it that it is purely and investment fund and not linked to any sports washing. if and when we see that change, we can look at it again. 

1 minute ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Pretty wild how far this thread has gotten from “I’m a NUFC supporter who is uncomfortable with the fact that the club is now associated with the Saudi government.” Which is a fairly unobjectionable statement and the offense that some seem have taken from it is entirely misplaced.

I honestly can’t believe what I’m seeing. “Support Saudi sportswashing like me or fuck off and don’t watch football ever again”.

The faux indignation permeating throughout this entire thread is just cringe, whatever anyones thoughts are there is absolutely zero anyone can do to change anything, after 60 years plus of not winning anything, 14 years of drudgery, can we not just enjoy the ride, roll with the good times & finally connect with the club (not the owners if you deign they are whatever you want them to be so you can orchestrate whatever agenda you may have) the simple fact is were owned by a mega rich organisation whom by whichever way you look at it have rescued us from perpetual doom, gloom, detachment & desperation, all of this of course has to be measured against your own individual moral compass if that's your bag, mine as an uneducated, working class, simpleton is plain, I merely wants to see my club achieve or at least try to achieve something, if that's measured by trophies then so be it for me.

9 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

The faux indignation permeating throughout this entire thread is just cringe, whatever anyones thoughts are there is absolutely zero anyone can do to change anything, after 60 years plus of not winning anything, 14 years of drudgery, can we not just enjoy the ride, roll with the good times & finally connect with the club (not the owners if you deign they are whatever you want them to be so you can orchestrate whatever agenda you may have) the simple fact is were owned by a mega rich organisation whom by whichever way you look at it have rescued us from perpetual doom, gloom, detachment & desperation, all of this of course has to be measured against your own individual moral compass if that's your bag, mine as an uneducated, working class, simpleton is plain, I merely wants to see my club achieve or at least try to achieve something, if that's measured by trophies then so be it for me.

You don't know the first thing about people posting on this thread, so you can wind your neck in with the faux indignation bollocks.

If the thread is too much for you, leave it alone.

Edited by UncleBingo

1 minute ago, UncleBingo said:

You don't know the first thing about people posting on this thread, so you can wind your neck in with the faux indignation bollocks.

If the thread is too much for you, leave it alone.

Nor you me

Im completely comfortable in my own thoughts & my thoughts on my club, the rest of it is complete & utter bollocks 

I don't see any faux indignation in here. I also don't see anybody saying you're morally wrong if you continue to support the club and the takeover without worrying about sportswashing. All I see is people saying, for themselves, that they're working through some level of discomfort with the level of connection with KSA. I can't see why anyone who isn't interested in that aspect would care that others are.

Edited by B-more Mag

1 minute ago, B-more Mag said:

I don't see any faux indignation in here. I also don't see anybody saying you're morally wrong if you continue to support the club and the takeover without worrying about sportswashing. All I see is people saying, for themselves, that they're working through some level of discomfort with the level of connection with KSA. I can't see why anyone how isn't interested in that aspect caring that others do. 

My point is there is zero anyone can do about it, further to that (& please don't judge me ) I simply don't care who owns my club, if in anyones opinion im wrong in that then that's fine, I wont attack you or anyone else for your thoughts or beliefs so kindly allow me mine.

1 minute ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Nor you me

Im completely comfortable in my own thoughts & my thoughts on my club, the rest of it is complete & utter bollocks 

You started off accusing people of having predispositions, telling them to fuck off if they didn't like it, accused me of lecturing to people when I asked a question and now are accusing people of showing faux indignation. 

Tells me everything I need to know in all honesty.

16 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

for the most part it’s been a reasonable conversation with lots of thoughts and emotions on show. Only time it’s been let down is when you’ve posted. No one is even denying you yours, you’re just spouting off looking for a fight. Let this thread do it’s thing and keep all the politics here and out of the others. If it’s too much for you don’t come in and your life will be so much better with you being able to support the club unchallenged. I think that’s fair enough before you have a go. That’s what you want then so be it.