The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

Admire the sentiment and agree with them, but I think you need to pick your battles when it comes to political activism. Protesting at the ground really is a waste of time and energy that could be put elsewhere. They might get decent media coverage, I guess.

Ashley was obviously universally hated by Newcastle fans yet the majority were against walking away for even one game, let alone indefinitely. I'm sure the Saudis knew exactly who they were buying.

Edited by kisearch

Just now, kisearch said:

Admire the sentiment and agree with them, but I think you need to pick your battles when it comes to political activism. Protesting at the ground really is a waste of time and energy that could be put elsewhere. 

Ashley was obviously universally hated by Newcastle fans yet the majority were against walking away for even one game, let alone indefinitely. I'm sure the Saudis knew exactly who they were buying.

I just think it's dangerous tbh.

Political activism and drunk football supporters = embarrassing scenes.

Happy for there to be a protest.  Glad there is going to be one.

Any fans responding violently or in any way really, aren't who I want associated with the club.

Much how I don't feel comfortable with Saudi Arabia being attached.

Edited by David Edgar

23 hours ago, dinotheprehistoricgeordie said:

Good video, I also didn't realise how truly horrific the Hull owners are. I guess Ashley's treatment of us wasn't the only instance of the media ignoring a club being mistreated.

Good points without doubt, but often he’s picking the stupidest arguments people make online so it’s not hard really.

As I’ve said before I’m pretty sceptical ‘sportswashing’ is all it’s made out to be also, but he’s just spoke about it like it’s an objective undeniable fact. Yes the takeover might get a few idiots waving Saudi flags, but the media coverage seems to have raised far more attention here to human rights abuses there, so I’m really not sure how that is effective overall.

The ‘whataboutery’ about our government carries some weight also because football (not just us) can’t be accountable to dealing with immoral people if the government we elect in can’t surely. 

And is MBS even the ‘owner’ or really involved in the club? Does he even have that much influence in PIF? Obviously he’s the chairman but he may not have significant involvement. Seems to have other jobs to do first I’d have thought. 

Also the stakes in other companies are minimal but often far more money has gone into some of them as a slight counter point, plus they actually own about ten times the amount in Uber that he’s making out. 

Edited by St. Maximin

1 hour ago, David Edgar said:

Happy for there to be a protest.  Glad there is going to be one.

Any fans responding violently or in any way really, aren't who I want associated with the club.

Much how I don't feel comfortable with Saudi Arabia being attached.

Wouldn't disagree.

But stupid people do stupid things and unfortunately for us we have a disproportionate amount of fans who can't control themselves.

Point I'm making is more, I wouldn't be shocked if it turned ugly, but would obviously love nufc fans to listen and even possibly learn something if it is construed as such.

If they turn up bashing fans I'm sorry but, it'll be a mess.

There was verbal abuse for Ashley out and sack Pardew fgs[emoji38]

4 hours ago, Ben said:

Blair Mcdougall, spin Doctor with ties to that ginger lass that runs Murdochs rags.

I support anyone’s right to protest, but why does it have to be coordinated by the biggest, most hypocritical centrist melts?

EDIT: It’s a Khashoggi thing obviously, because the people that find that particular thing reprehensible are actually pretty ok with the bombing of Yemeni people with British bought arms. 

Edited by christ

It seems the point of the protest is to 'embarrass' the owners by putting pictures of that murdered journalist around the ground. It's all a bit pointless but as long as they're not trying to attack the fans then let them crack on.

If they're serious about this then their efforts would probably be better served prolonged protesting of Downing Street as I'm not sure how a bunch of blokes taking their bairns to see us get spanked off Tottenham are going to in any way improve the rights of people in Saudi Arabia.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

39 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

They're fucking idiots. Both of those last tweets. 

And now watch other idiots say it's a reflection of the whole fanbase. 

It's going to take some getting used to, this shite. 

word of advice , stay off social media etc , your world will be none the wiser , go to the match enjoy the ride and fuck the haters . Simple 

Edited by GWN