The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

I’m being a a bit of a miserable bastard here but the amount of fans walking around with tea towels on their heads is embarrassing and really short sighted in relation to some of the criticisms aimed at our fan base. 

OK the world away from forums here's the real feel, NO human rights protests, a fair few tea towels,  saw the van with Kishoggi, no trouble,  I sat next to the Spurs fans no real taking the piss or hatred, in truth nothing so in REAL LIFE  no need to piss ya pants about the Saudis , good day spoiled by the cunt in the dugout.  HWTL 

3 hours ago, St1pe said:

I’m being a a bit of a miserable bastard here but the amount of fans walking around with tea towels on their heads is embarrassing and really short sighted in relation to some of the criticisms aimed at our fan base. 

Seriously it's just a bit of fun mate , there will be hardly any from now on , chill the fuck out man.

I didn't go to the game but I spent the day in town and my conclusion was exactly what I expected; there were hundreds and hundreds of dodgy middle east outfits but they were being worn by people who obviously aren't giving a lot of thought to political or human rights issues, and I personally didn't feel embarrassed for or by them one bit

With respect mate I think you need to. Piss ya pants? Folk are just trying to have grown up conversations about a serious issue. I think you’re right it will die down but if you buy into the remotest belief in sportswashing it plays into that entirely.

From what I saw the were significantly fewer than 'hundreds and hundreds' but it appeared those that were dressed as such got a lot of coverage in front of cameras. Particularly outside that bit where it says 'Newcastle United' and at Nine Bar. Never mind. Hopefully they'll get bored soon and stop embarrassing the rest of us. 

Seriously why are folk getting wound up? No one outside or inside gave a shiny shite .

It's a bit of fun from folk who don't give a shite what someone on a football forum think . There will hardly be any next game , give over trying to play high n mighty man, it's folk getting caught up in the day that's all,  ffs. 

It’s about calling out bullshit. I’m not higher or mightIer than anyone. It’s wrong to make light of what Saudi represent. I joke about many dark things in private but it’s about picking audiences. I probably have more problem with the flags (thankfully few) than tea towels but even then it’s daft to even have to say that because even if it’s trying to be welcoming - they aren’t tea towels. It’s clearly a bit more widely held than the confines of this forum and if you think it’s a bit of a laugh then that’s your opinion - it’s just a widely held opinion that it is more than that regardless of how you wish to downplay it. If you’re going to do it then be prepared to be called up on by some who disagree with you. It’s as simple as that. No excuse beyond wilful ignorance at this point. If it’s prompted people to think about thinks beyond what they deem a laugh then no harm done tbh.

Edited by Darth Crooks

1 hour ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Their crimes against humanity have already started by forcing us to watch Joelinton for 90 minutes..

Not the thread for it but he was our best player today

Edited by geordie_b

Guest neesy111
10 minutes ago, GWN said:

Seriously why are folk getting wound up? No one outside or inside gave a shiny shite .

It's a bit of fun from folk who don't give a shite what someone on a football forum think . There will hardly be any next game , give over trying to play high n mighty man, it's folk getting caught up in the day that's all,  ffs. 

It's just embarrassing seeing grown adults dressing up in a culture they know absolutely nothing about apart from their oil money buying a football club.

It's very disrespectful as well.

3 minutes ago, Darth Crooks said:

It’s about calling out bullshit. I’m not higher or mightIer than anyone. It’s wrong to make light of what Saudi represent. I joke about many dark things in private but it’s about picking audiences. I probably have more problem with the flags (thankfully few) than tea towels but even then it’s daft to even have to say that because even if it’s trying to be welcoming - they aren’t tea towels. It’s clearly a bit more widely held than the confines of this forum and if you think it’s a bit of a laugh then that’s your opinion - it’s just a widely held opinion that it is more than that regardless of how you wish to downplay it. If you’re going to do it then be prepared to be called up on by some who disagree with you. It’s as simple as no. No excuse beyond wilful ignorance at this point. If it’s prompted people to think about thinks beyond what they deem a laugh then no harm done tbh.

Not one fan I saw got called out and discussions with my pals were folk just laughing at them. It's absolutely nothing man . End of 

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

It's just embarrassing seeing grown adults dressing up in a culture they know absolutely nothing about apart from their oil money buying a football club.

It's very disrespectful as well.

Embarrassing to who ? Seriously who are we disrespectful to? It's a bit of fun , yes they know nothing about it but ffs it's nowt .

5 minutes ago, Darth Crooks said:

It’s about calling out bullshit. I’m not higher or mightIer than anyone. It’s wrong to make light of what Saudi represent. I joke about many dark things in private but it’s about picking audiences. I probably have more problem with the flags (thankfully few) than tea towels but even then it’s daft to even have to say that because even if it’s trying to be welcoming - they aren’t tea towels. It’s clearly a bit more widely held than the confines of this forum and if you think it’s a bit of a laugh then that’s your opinion - it’s just a widely held opinion that it is more than that regardless of how you wish to downplay it. If you’re going to do it then be prepared to be called up on by some who disagree with you. It’s as simple as that. No excuse beyond wilful ignorance at this point. If it’s prompted people to think about thinks beyond what they deem a laugh then no harm done tbh.

At least we can't be accused of cultural appropriation.

I think you've made it clear GWN that you don't give a shit. Fair enough. That doesn't make it nowt or the 'end of'.

It's shit in two almost opposing ways.

1) They're celebrating the Saudi source of the money. That shouldn't be celebrated nor the serious discussion over it made light of.

2) Wearing cultural dress as a fancy dress costume is plainly offensive and I can't be arsed to explain why.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Your pals and you say end of. That’s that over, phew. Look, I know it’s the done thing to paint anyone who finds some things objectionable as humourless or a kill joy but I just happen to think the gag isn’t worth the buildup and that sometimes choosing to ignore what people think regardless of their viewpoint is seen as a virtue and I’ve listened to the other side of it. We’re talking about bad people who for whatever reason own our club. No need to ape them, accidentally mock them or fly their flags.

3 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I think you've made it clear GWN that you don't give a shit. Fair enough. That doesn't make it nowt or the 'end of'.

Well what does it make it? Please tell me. 

3 minutes ago, Darth Crooks said:

Your pals and you say end of. That’s that over, phew. Look, I know it’s the done thing to paint anyone who finds some things objectionable as humourless or a kill joy but I just happen to think the gag isn’t worth the buildup and that sometimes choosing to ignore what people think regardless of their viewpoint is seen as a virtue and I’ve listened to the other side of it. We’re talking about bad people who for whatever reason own our club. No need to ape them, accidentally mock them or fly their flags.

Do you not agree it's just folk having a wee laugh? Nothing more than that?

Guest neesy111
10 minutes ago, GWN said:

Embarrassing to who ? Seriously who are we disrespectful to? It's a bit of fun , yes they know nothing about it but ffs it's nowt .

No it's not.

You have no clue.