The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

15 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Great gesture by the Reubens everyone’s entitled to their political leanings in a democracy, in no way does it diminish their support of foodbank.

Agree with you on this. 

Edit : which I'm sure is the confirmation you were desperate for. :lol:

Edited by Joey Linton

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

In no way does it diminish their support of foodbank.

I mean, yes it absolutely 100% does because food bank usage has gone up exponentially under the very same tory party that Jamie donates hundreds of thousands to. If he actually gave a shit about the people who use food banks he couldn’t donate to that party.

Much like sportswashing it’s a PR exercise so that you don’t even stop to think about it.

3 minutes ago, Smal said:

I mean, yes it absolutely 100% does because food bank usage has gone up exponentially under the very same tory party that Jamie donates hundreds of thousands to. If he actually gave a shit about the people who use food banks he couldn’t donate to that party.

Much like sportswashing it’s a PR exercise so that you don’t even stop to think about it.

C’mon capitalists like the Reuben’s are never going to support the Labour Party. I would guess they share a lot of Tory values hence their support, however it doesn’t mean they like people going hungry.

We all vote a certain way but I would doubt we agree with every policy of the party we vote for. 

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

C’mon capitalists like the Reuben’s are never going to support the Labour Party. I would guess they share a lot of Tory values hence their support, however it doesn’t mean they like people going hungry.

We all vote a certain way but I would doubt we agree with every policy of the party we vote for. 

Sports washing the Tories now.

13 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I think their dedication to supporting the food bank is admirable. Unfortunately I think it’s devoid of any interest and/or analysis of why it exists and therefore it’ll mean the square root of fuck all to me.

19 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Nice to see a bit of sense brought into the discussion.

Tory values are predominantly about them and their pals profiteering directly from doing things that let people go hungry, you can't separate the two when that's the reality. Cut wages, workers rights, and benefits, disband unions, deregulation, deliberately underfund public services to bring in privatisation, get a job with the businesses you helped when you leave politics, blame everything on phantoms with the help of a media that also funds you. It's not a conspiracy or anything, it's their business model.

People like Jamie Reuben and big business giving money to food banks and the Tories at the same time is at best a contradiction and at worst just PR - in fact big business often spend more advertising how much they've donated than the amount they've actually donated.

People see it as a genuine, honest act and so it works amazingly well. Fund a problem that earns you a fortune, then have people laud and excuse you when you throw back scraps. It's a great deal for them and we saw how far that can be stretched when a nation was duped into applauding the NHS rather than demanding that its staff are paid fairly.

And FWIW Kier Starmer's Labour Party would just be the diet version if they had even the slightest chance of getting into power. People like Jamie Reuben are who they're trying to attract.

Edited by kisearch

Also

HM Revenue and Customs has struck a deal to relocate tax officials into a new office complex in Newcastle owned by major Conservative party donors through an offshore company based in a tax haven, the Guardian can reveal.

On 21/11/2021 at 00:18, kisearch said:

Tory values are predominantly about them and their pals profiteering directly from doing things that let people go hungry, you can't separate the two when that's the reality. Cut wages, workers rights, and benefits, disband unions, deregulation, deliberately underfund public services to bring in privatisation, get a job with the businesses you helped when you leave politics, blame everything on phantoms with the help of a media that also funds you. It's not a conspiracy or anything, it's their business model.

People like Jamie Reuben and big business giving money to food banks and the Tories at the same time is at best a contradiction and at worst just PR - in fact big business often spend more advertising how much they've donated than the amount they've actually donated.

People see it as a genuine, honest act and so it works amazingly well. Fund a problem that earns you a fortune, then have people laud and excuse you when you throw back scraps. It's a great deal for them and we saw how far that can be stretched when a nation was duped into applauding the NHS rather than demanding that its staff are paid fairly.

And FWIW Kier Starmer's Labour Party would just be the diet version if they had even the slightest chance of getting into power. People like Jamie Reuben are who they're trying to attract.

Exactly. The Tory part needs poor people to stay in power. Profiteering from pain, funding and sustaining inequality. 

On 21/11/2021 at 00:18, kisearch said:

I mainly agree with you but the Tories seem to be the most successful party in the history of UK politics, or certainly in the last 40-50 years. There's only so many £100k pa company directors out there to vote for them, so lots of 'average' and working class people must be voting for them to keep getting re-elected.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Adam Crafton saying the club hosted a journalist that has repeatedly sent (assuming to him) homophobic abuse.

Not sure that’s quite correct? What I saw was that Alwaleed fella has hosted a show in Saudi which he invited the homophobic journo onto. Nothing to do with the club I don’t think but still not a great look

28 minutes ago, Heron said:

Don't the Saudi's have financial involvement at ManUre? 

They had a sponsorship deal with Saudi Telecom since 2008 and it was still in place as of 2017, not sure if that is still going

In 2017 they agreed a strategic partnership with the General Sports Authority of Saudi Arabia 

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

They had a sponsorship deal with Saudi Telecom since 2008 and it was still in place as of 2017, not sure if that is still going

In 2017 they agreed a strategic partnership with the General Sports Authority of Saudi Arabia 

Cheers :thup:

Seems funny that Man United supporting journalists seem desperate to connect us with theit regime and anything out of Saudi then without considering the hypocrisy. 

• 1 month later...

Apologies if already posted, didn't want to put this in the Greenwood thread but saw the below tweet celebrating the sacking of that guy and our fans orchestration of that and made me really uncomfortable.

Edited by Thumbheed