The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

11 minutes ago, Mowen said:

Alright gang! Long time no see. By christ it was hard work getting logged back in after 3 years. Hope some of the old people I used to knock about with on here are still going strong - the likes of Wullie, Tooj, Interpol, McBeefaz, PM, Dave, Disco* and many more I won't try to recall now.

Appreciate this has probably been done to death but I couldn't see anything like this to gauge sentiment after a few months. Feel free to bin this if it exists already. Intrigued as to where everyone has settled on the subject of club ownership. Hopefully the poll is pretty self explanatory but I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing with that either.

My personal take is I no longer consider myself a Newcastle fan. An early caveat that I don't expect that to be common, nor do I think I'm any better than anyone for making that call. Well, unless you're singing their names, then I probably do think I'm better than you. I can't get past the mental gymnastics of any success for a club just being a success for an evil regime. I'm no expert on the politics of it, but I'll back Amnesty's take on it. As much as I hated Ashley at least any victory was in spite of him rather than a victory for him.

It's an absolute gutter as well. I'm 36 now, grew up with the Entertainers and the club has been a huge part of my life. My cat's named after an  ex-player FFS. As much as Ashley sucked the fun out of it, I still cared. It's probably easier for me to cut ties than most as I've never been a local, my last family link living in the city passed away a couple of years ago, I stopped bothering to go under Bruce and I've had a ST at my local non-league team for about 4 years now. But it's still a hell of a change.

Genuinely intrigued as to where people have settled and how they've got there. Or call me a c*nt I guess, whatever floats your boat.

*have deliberately left Pilko out of the list as I know it'll annoy him

Cheers lads. Feel free to merge or whatever, don't know the best bet. I think I logged out in a huff when Rafa left and never got back in!

I assume the prevailing opinion is people are somewhere between content and delighted. Mainly just interested to know how they balance that with what they know about the owners - obviously there will be a spectrum of views but do some people just not care about the ethics of the owners if the team is good?

Or how do people who do care about that but don't want to give up the club balance those two conflicting points?

13 minutes ago, Mowen said:

Cheers lads. Feel free to merge or whatever, don't know the best bet. I think I logged out in a huff when Rafa left and never got back in!

I assume the prevailing opinion is people are somewhere between content and delighted. Mainly just interested to know how they balance that with what they know about the owners - obviously there will be a spectrum of views but do some people just not care about the ethics of the owners if the team is good?

Or how do people who do care about that but don't want to give up the club balance those two conflicting points?

I just find Newcastle a very hard thing to give up supporting, I've done it since a small child and it is seemingly seared into my brain.

I obviously find the stories out of KSA abhorrent, sure most sane humans do. I seemingly can't cut my ties with the club but I'm not a cheerleader for the owners at all.

Don't take this as a parallel comparison as it's not, but the hypocrisy is the same....

I fucking hate animal cruelty and when I've visited the farm with the bairns I cant picture how we can slaughter animals like cows and sheep, they're lush.

But you better believe I forget a day later and I'm shovelling a burger in my face, just a hypocrite unfortunately.*

*I do have no meat days to try and move away from it and enjoy the better plant alternative these days, maybes I'll find something to take place of nufc in my life, dunno but you never know.

3 hours ago, NE27 said:

I just find Newcastle a very hard thing to give up supporting, I've done it since a small child and it is seemingly seared into my brain.

I obviously find the stories out of KSA abhorrent, sure most sane humans do. I seemingly can't cut my ties with the club but I'm not a cheerleader for the owners at all.

Don't take this as a parallel comparison as it's not, but the hypocrisy is the same....

I fucking hate animal cruelty and when I've visited the farm with the bairns I cant picture how we can slaughter animals like cows and sheep, they're lush.

But you better believe I forget a day later and I'm shovelling a burger in my face, just a hypocrite unfortunately.*

*I do have no meat days to try and move away from it and enjoy the better plant alternative these days, maybes I'll find something to take place of nufc in my life, dunno but you never know.

Because of my son’s absolute love of animals your *statement is exactly how we are at home w/r/t diet and such. 

12 hours ago, triggs said:

Just to counter the "they're just jealous about Newcastle" shite.

Well speaking of mental gymnstics - not sure how Abramovic doesn't come off worse still in that tweet. He backs the dictator Putin who props up the dictator Assad who meets with the Man City owners, which is implied to be bad and equal too the former.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Guest HTT II
6 hours ago, TRon said:

Fair enough tbh. Do they still run a Fat Slags page? 

Is that meant to be funny? The Viz is (was?) great, but that’s fucking unfunny as fuck!

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Is that meant to be funny? The Viz is (was?) great, but that’s fucking unfunny as fuck!

Are you joking here? Surely he's asking if they still do the fat slags comic strip?

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, NE27 said:

Are you joking here? Surely he's asking if they still do the fat slags comic strip?

I’m referring the the ‘comic’ strip!

Just now, HTT II said:

I’m referring the the ‘comic’ strip!

I'll admit it's no Sid the sexist or biffa bacon, but it's still probably one of the most recognisable ones.

Never was that funny that one other than baz getting sexually abused really.

34 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Yeah, it wasn't me who posted the Viz cartoon in this thread, but they definitely had a  comic story called Fat Slags, there were cheesy chips involved and usually a skinny bloke called Barry.

FWIW I used to buy VIz religiously for a while, then I think it went off the shelves. There were some amazing characters like Spoilt Bastard, Mr Logic, and a lonny left couple who i can't remember the name now. The only page which seemed weird was the one about some guy who had massive balls which he carried around in a wheelbarrow.

Guest neesy111

Have people actually read the twitter post?

It's an artist from the Viz in another magazine ffs.

Edited by neesy111

23 minutes ago, TRon said:

FWIW I used to buy VIz religiously for a while, then I think it went off the shelves. There were some amazing characters like Spoilt Bastard, Mr Logic, and a lonny left couple who i can't remember the name now. The only page which seemed weird was the one about some guy who had massive balls which he carried around in a wheelbarrow.

Buster gonad and his infeasibly large testicles - Terry fuckwit was always a fave of mine

1 minute ago, The Merse said:

Buster gonad and his infeasibly large testicles - Terry fuckwit was always a fave of mine

Cockney Spiv! I think I was subliminally affected by that cunt, I've used that term many times on here.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Cockney Spiv! I think I was subliminally affected by that cunt, I've used that term many times on here.

That was a bit later than when I used to read it - it was stuff like Paul whicker the tall vicar, the parky and the pathetic sharks - had some right classics

The best joke Viz ever did was a 3 picture strip.

1st pic: A clown asks a skinhead, in the circus audience, if he is the front end of a donkey, and the skinhead replies "No"

2nd pic: Clown asks "Are you the back end of a horse?" Again the skinhead replies "No"

3rd pic Clown says "then you must be no end of an ass" to which the skinhead says "Fuck off, you red nosed cunt!"

Edited by Happinesstan

For some reason the rock and roll dog turds always stay in the Viz memory. 

If they reverted to unfunny cartoons to make political statements as highlighted then no wonder it disappeared up its own arse. 

1 hour ago, The Merse said:

That was a bit later than when I used to read it - it was stuff like Paul whicker the tall vicar, the parky and the pathetic sharks - had some right classics

The pathetic sharks were an inspired creation tbh. Almost Blackadder levels of genius.