The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

4 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

This is bollocks about insulate Britain if you read up on them.

Had a quick read, I plead ignorance. :thup:

But the point though, are they not focusing or directing protest at the wrong thing or people?

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Had a quick read, I plead ignorance. :thup:

But the point though, are they not focusing or directing protest at the wrong thing or people?

Palace fans are absolutely.

The main point of a protest/demonstration is to be visible.

A Premier League game against Newcastle with a worldwide television audience seems like a decent place for a protest against the Premier League and Newcastle's owners to me. I have to say, it's the one I'd choose if I were going to do it, vs the alternative of taking a day off and heading down to Premier League HQ with my phone, a Twitter account and a couple of mates, hoping Sky Sports will happen to wander past with a camera crew. At least that's still a better idea than "sending a stronger message" by putting a charity tin on the corner of the concourse bar.

19 minutes ago, Wullie said:

The main point of a protest/demonstration is to be visible.

A Premier League game against Newcastle with a worldwide television audience seems like a decent place for a protest against the Premier League and Newcastle's owners to me. I have to say, it's the one I'd choose if I were going to do it, vs the alternative of taking a day off and heading down to Premier League HQ with my phone, a Twitter account and a couple of mates, hoping Sky Sports will happen to wander past with a camera crew. At least that's still a better idea than "sending a stronger message" by putting a charity tin on the corner of the concourse bar.

It was against the fans also. 

"We have our club back"

Do we all actually think this isn't about envy? I'm only harping on because the message touched on HR. If you want to genuinely support HR, then donate to an international cause, become an activist.  Don't just become interested 24hrs after a football club has been taken over, too many people live their lives in current affairs. 

Half these wankers won't be holding anything up in 12 months time, if they are, bring this post right back to me. If they keep it up, I'll eat my words. 

Its purely about envy for most. 

Edited by mighty__mag

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

It was against the fans also. 

"We have our club back"

Do we all actually think this isn't about envy? I'm only harping on because the message touched on HR. If you want to genuinely support HR, then donate to an international cause, become an activist.  Don't just become interested 24hrs after a football club has been taken over, too many people live their lives in current affairs. 

Half these wankers won't be holding anything up in 12 months time, if they are, bring this post right back to me. If they keep it up I'll eat my words. 

Its purely about envy for most. 

It is.....and many on our side whinging about it would have totally behind doing what they did if it was the other way round.

I don't think you really know that they're only interested in human rights for 24 hours. Sure most Palace fans aren't involved in human rights causes, but I'm sure some are, and it only takes a couple of people to make and hold a banner. And as Wullie alluded, embarrassing Saudi Arabia on tv during a PL match I'm sure will have more impact than some buckets outside the stadium.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

If there had been a donation box there'd only be something else some people would say they should be doing anyway. 

Honestly, I don't know where 'support the team, not the regime' disappeared to. It was the ready made reason for supporting Newcastle without supporting Ashley. It's an argument that applies to this situation as it did with Ashley, yet instead people feel the need to defend or nitpick over arguments against a regime that's 100x more indefensible.

Edited by kisearch

Worth mentioning, in fairness to Palace fans, that they've previously help up multiple banners criticising the premier league and the way modern football is. So it's clearly something they're "into" and this isn't a one-off just aimed at us.

That said, the tone of the banner and statement aimed at our fans is unnecessary and looks bitter.

Edited by geordiesteve710

Aye they're completely right actually like. Don't get me wrong, it's completely pointless as there's no going back at this point, but football is a complete bag of shite nowadays.

The only real alternative is to support local lower league clubs or accept and join the horrific, money is everything elite.

Following a club that middles about Premier League mediocrity until they're bought out by oil money is a complete joke but it's where we're at.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

19 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

What exactly are the police investigating like? The cartoon on it?

Fuck knows.

Excessive freedom of expression in a built-up area? Too many people's feelings hurt in a public place?

One thing this takeover has exposed is how thin-skinned a lot of our fans are. We need to learn to take things on the chin more. The takeover makes us fair game for banners like this. In turn, if the takeover goes as well as everyone seems to think it will and we're sweeping all before us in a few years time, Palace are now fair game for us to rub it in their faces when we play them. And so on and so forth. Like it or not it's the nature of the beast and if people are that easily offended then for their own good they might be better off going to watch rugby union or something.

Edited by geordiesteve710

Guest neesy111
22 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

The reporting of the banner to the police has actually made it a far bigger news story than it was. :lol:

Exactly.  No idea what they are investigating as well.

My stance is spretty simple. As fans we shouldn't be held accountable for the actions of our owners, we can't control that at all. However we shouldn't feel the need to jump to their defence anytime anyone has a go at them either. 

If other clubs fans want to protest, if Squires wants to draw cartoons, if pundits want to criticise them then it's fair enough. If they took over another club I'm sure we'd feel the exact same way about it. 

Just roll with the punches.

Failing our fanbase protesting against our owners (it's never going to happen no matter how morally bankrupt some feel) so we just have to accept the jibes and move on.

People need to lose this woe is me attitude and stop making excuses or finding Insult, because it is 100% drawing out the fucking knackers who allow everyone to perpetuate the stupid Geordies moniker.

I just hope twitter is a small minority of idiots and not representative of the fanbase as a whole.

5 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Just roll with the punches.

Failing our fanbase protesting against our owners (it's never going to happen no matter how morally bankrupt some feel) so we just have to accept the jibes and move on.

People need to lose this woe is me attitude and stop making excuses or finding Insult, because it is 100% drawing out the fucking knackers who allow everyone to perpetuate the stupid Geordies moniker.

I just hope twitter is a small minority of idiots and not representative of the fanbase as a whole.

Twitter is a small portion of every single football club's fanbase and always will be.

I told my dad about the banner and the subsequent uproar and he just shrugged his shoulders. There will be a few hundred thousand fans like him.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

Good on Palace fans to be honest, but it is worrying that our fanbase is being targeted because of something that we have zero control over and it’s also kind of hypocritical in a sense, because if PIF had taken over any other club, a) there wouldn’t have been this mast hysteria in the media and among fans, and b) whatever club they had taken over, the majority of that club’s fanbase would be cock-a-hoop. We just have to get used to it and of it shines a light on SA’s human atrocities, it’s a good thing. I do worry, and I could be totally wrong here, the club’s statement regarding attire during the game, is a direct response to the banner as if to say fuck them. I hope not!

7 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

My stance is spretty simple. As fans we shouldn't be held accountable for the actions of our owners, we can't control that at all. However we shouldn't feel the need to jump to their defence anytime anyone has a go at them either. 

If other clubs fans want to protest, if Squires wants to draw cartoons, if pundits want to criticise them then it's fair enough. If they took over another club I'm sure we'd feel the exact same way about it. 

Yeah. The minute you try and defend the owners over their record is when you take the first step towards being complicit in "sports washing" yourself. 

Just now, HTT II said:

Good on Palace fans to be honest, but it is worrying that our fanbase is being targeted because of something that we have zero control over and it’s also kind of hypocritical in a sense, because if PIF had taken over any other club, a) there wouldn’t have been this mast hysteria in the media and among fans, and b) whatever club they had taken over, the majority of that club’s fanbase would be cock-a-hoop. We just have to get used to it and of it shines a light on SA’s human atrocities, it’s a good thing. I do worry, and I could be totally wrong here, the club’s statement regarding attire during the game, is a direct response to the banner as if to say fuck them. I hope not!

Our fanbase shouldn't be parading themselves around in tea towels and waving Saudi flags when we score. That would make the "zero control over" argument easier to make.