Jump to content

The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread


Recommended Posts

Was nice to see Al Rumayyan and his daughter really enjoying the atmosphere before the kick off. Welcome to Newcastle, and hope you won't have to watch that shambles for much longer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say I didn’t see many tea towels and by many I mean less than 20 and some of them were worn by kids collecting money for Wallsend Boys Club (who thought that was a good idea). When I first got into town literally the first person I saw was dressed in full KSA kit and I thought here we go. Didn’t see a single Saudi flag; I’m sure there must have been some. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Gotta say I didn’t see many tea towels and by many I mean less than 20 and some of them were worn by kids collecting money for Wallsend Boys Club (who thought that was a good idea). When I first got into town literally the first person I saw was dressed in full KSA kit and I thought here we go. Didn’t see a single Saudi flag; I’m sure there must have been some. 

 

There were a few like but yeah, altogether I think it was pretty minimal on the whole. Only one group of pretend-thobe wearers who were making a particularly big scene, near the Bobby statue. One of em was screaming how they were the king so to make sure the cameras got them. Banter. The rest of what I saw was just the odd tea towel. 

 

Dunno. Feel like I need to reflect what @Darth Crooks said in terms of "I know, I know, aren't I a killjoy," but I do find it a bit embarrassing and was quite relieved that it was a pretty small minority. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Gotta say I didn’t see many tea towels and by many I mean less than 20 and some of them were worn by kids collecting money for Wallsend Boys Club (who thought that was a good idea). When I first got into town literally the first person I saw was dressed in full KSA kit and I thought here we go. Didn’t see a single Saudi flag; I’m sure there must have been some. 

 

There was a lot of apprehension on here about our fans making fools of themselves, but in the end I think the Sky tv crew were just enjoying the brilliant atmosphere before the game. If anything - and I know you mentioned this in the match thread - it felt like they were muting the noise a bit so they could talk over it. Was a brilliant day football aside. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

 

There were a few like but yeah, altogether I think it was pretty minimal on the whole. Only one group of pretend-thobe wearers who were making a particularly big scene, near the Bobby statue. One of em was screaming how they were the king so to make sure the cameras got them. Banter. 

I saw him siting on the plinth, pretty it was the same lad I saw outside of Slaters when I came up the stairs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

No it's not.

 

You have no clue.


Most Saudis I’ve spoken to (that’s the 60 or so that have called me before, during and after the match) thought it was hilarious and were buzzing to see so many people wearing thobes, gutra and shamak tbh.

 

 

Edited by McCormick

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad that the Saudi flags were down to a handful, although some little scotes behind me tried to get a Saudi Arabia song going, which luckily didn't take off.

 

Still not entirely sure how I feel, the whole thing was a bit surreal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, GWN said:

 

Do you not agree it's just folk having a wee laugh? Nothing more than that?

 

I suppose some people think it's glorifying a regime that is in many parts distasteful.

 

Same way people "blacking up" or dressing up as Nazis for a wee laugh is frowned upon.

 

Not saying it's exactly the same, but surely you can appreciate why it might be frowned upon?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, McCormick said:


Most Saudis I’ve spoken to (that’s the 60 or so that have called me before, during and after the match) thought it was hilarious and were buzzing to see so many people wearing thobes, gutra and shamak tbh.

 

 

 

 

What I would expect tbh. They would probably feel a bit touched by it as well I imagine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hhtoon said:

 

I suppose some people think it's glorifying a regime that is in many parts distasteful.

 

Same way people "blacking up" or dressing up as Nazis for a wee laugh is frowned upon.

 

Not saying it's exactly the same, but surely you can appreciate why it might be frowned upon?

 


 

Didn’t come across one person who gave a shite mate , sorry . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tea towel stuff will die out quickly I reckon. It would happen at any club and is ultimately harmless really. It's a bit daft aye but it's just fans trying to have a bit of a laugh after years of misery. They aren't really showing solidarity for a human rights abusing regime. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darth Crooks said:

With respect mate I think you need to. Piss ya pants? Folk are just trying to have grown up conversations about a serious issue. I think you’re right it will die down but if you buy into the remotest belief in sportswashing it plays into that entirely.

It really does embarrass me but I don’t think it’s a strong argument for sportswashing. If your investments can convince a minority of idiots blissfully unaware/disinterested in human rights to wear tea towels, while simultaneously encouraging significantly higher media attention to their abuses, then you need to up your game in your sportswashing attempts. 

 

 

Edited by St. Maximin

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Tea towel stuff will die out quickly I reckon. It would happen at any club and is ultimately harmless really. It's a bit daft aye but it's just fans trying to have a bit of a laugh after years of misery. They aren't really showing solidarity for a human rights abusing regime. 

Spot on here. Caught up in the moment, dressing up as rich Sheikhs, (because it's about the investment) for most of them who have poor politics. 

 

Fucking hell its basically fancy dress. The saudi flags are a bit of a piss take, yes.

 

But banter outfits after 14 years of shite? 

 

Btw, any of you who contradict yourselves by bashing a few numptys for dressing up, but then fuck off out on polling day and stick an X next to your local Tory MP, go take a look in the mirror, 

 

Fucking different story when its about your own finances 👍🏻

 

These idiots are just celebrating someone else's finances, that improves their weekend watching a carcass of a football club, finally get rescued.

 

 

Preparing to be stuck on ignore by hypocrites 👍🏻

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wandy said:

 

What did he say?

 

Was hoping Sky Sports would've tweeted a video of it but to paraphrase,

 

- Said state backed money or dodgy money is already in European football from Russia, China, Abu Dhabi and Qatar

- Of the opinion that we shouldn't not allow the Saudis into football as he believes sport and football can be a positive vehicle for positive change, that we can talk to KSA as a result for making changes rather than shutting them out and letting them get on with it

- Changes in Saudi have been made but not enough and it's still appalling so can understand the view that they should've been shut out

- Mentioned American and British records on human rights over the centuries, what's happened with NATO countries departing Afghanistan

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...