Energy prices

Dr.Spaceman

Old / boring as fuck to worry about things like this, but Octopus have just quoted me a near 100% increase in my monthly bill. Anyone else experiencing anything near a 100% increase in the near future?

I was expecting something like a 20% increase, but >90% seems a bit much without a massive increase in our usage.

I switched from Eon to OVO Energy few month ago. Whilst Eon were putting my price up at the end of my fixed price deal, OVO pretty much matched it (roughly £92/month DD for gas & electric), which was supposed to be fixed for the year.

Already had them on (just as Energy Crisis was ramping up) saying they needed to up my monthly DD payment to £115/month. I have a feeling that wont be the last.

Edited by TK-421

I'm moving house soon so I'll need completely new deals on everything, kind of worried.

I'm hoping there are deals with low fixed costs and charged by usage, since I'm a single person and can keep my energy use pretty low if I want to.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'm moving house soon so I'll need completely new deals on everything, kind of worried.

I'm hoping there are deals with low fixed costs and charged by usage, since I'm a single person and can keep my energy use pretty low if I want to.

You staying in London or moving up north?

23 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Stay on the standard tariff for whoever your provider is. They'll all charge the same. There is no other option unless you want to pay hundreds of pounds more than you have to.

I read the other day that the UK is currently using gas for about 40% of its electricity generation.

And its still not winter. I hope it doesnt, but this might get worse before it gets better.

Neon Reef were doing elec at 16p per unit with 17p s/c but I'm yet to find what I would call a reasonable gas rate. Sorry folks.

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Old / boring as fuck to worry about things like this, but Octopus have just quoted me a near 100% increase in my monthly bill. Anyone else experiencing anything near a 100% increase in the near future?

I was expecting something like a 20% increase, but >90% seems a bit much without a massive increase in our usage.

Stop growing weed

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

I was Avro which went bust and now Octopus. Still no idea of our tariff but apparently it’s better than what they can offer new and existing customers. 

we’ll see.

Aye still not got owt from Octopus myself. Went on their website and the little sstimation tool said medium energy usage would be roughly 90/100 a month, which is what id guess mine would be. High energy usage would be 140/150.

Currently using a pound or so a day according to my smart meter. We'll see how much that changes.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Also, seeing as the company that were billing me for energy have gone bust, and i had credit which will be being transferred over to my new account, will i still be liable to pay any bills i never paid to avro since they went bust? Think i was soon due a quarterly payment out of that credit but obviously that never happened. Surely now theyre gone that liability doesnt exist anymore? 

Would be nice to just start paying the new supplier from now and be able to use that credit. If i do have to pay for the pevious 3 months ill not be happy.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

10 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Also, seeing as the company that were billing me for energy have gone bust, and i had credit which will be being transferred over to my new account, will i still be liable to pay any bills i never paid to avro since they went bust? Think i was soon due a quarterly payment out of that credit but obviously that never happened. Surely now theyre gone that liability doesnt exist anymore? 

Would be nice to just start paying the new supplier from now and be able to use that credit. If i do have to pay for the pevious 3 months ill not be happy.

I'd imagine offgen protects both sides, so what is owed is owed. Might be wrong though

• Rich changed the title to Energy prices
  • 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

My dad's renewal has gone up 150%. But he and me mam hammer the gas. Mine has gone up from £99 to £167 but I can fix at about £125 if we switch. We are Octopus.

Not sure what you mean here. There is no fixable rate that is cheaper than the standard capped rate (or anywhere near).

1 minute ago, Wullie said:

Not sure what you mean here. There is no fixable rate that is cheaper than the standard capped rate (or anywhere near).

I'm just talking my monthly payments. I may not have looked into this a closely as I should. [emoji38]

7 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

I'm just talking my monthly payments. I may not have looked into this a closely as I should. [emoji38]

Just you mentioned switching, there's no point in switching anywhere. All suppliers charge the same for their standard tariff (the maximum they are allowed by government) so no matter who your supplier is, just make you're on the standard tariff.

One or another supplier might claim they'll take less per month, that might be technically true, but that money might then not be enough to cover your usage, at which point you might be stung for a big one off unexpected payment. On the other hand, it might be more than enough, and you'll build up credit, which you'll get back one way or another.  Ultimately you'll end up paying the same with any supplier.