Energy prices

Dr.Spaceman

5 hours ago, Matt said:

It's not an effective cap if it just gradually leads all suppliers to bankruptcy either. The govt know what they are doing here, they know there is little sympathy out there for energy companies so they keep consumer prices low while burning up the private capital left in the businesses (essentially the opposite to what Rocafella said). If they squeeze too hard, then eventually the large suppliers will throw in the towel and the government will be faced with becoming the effective supplier of last resort- either being responsible putting up prices or subsidising energy prices. They need to ensure that the big boys stay in the game- partly to remain the public face of price rises and partly to take some of the pain while prices remain elevated.

My comments were with regards to privatisation. A cap would always fall at some point as this is basically an external market which the government doesn’t control. 

@Lazarusgot an issue you might be able to help with. We've had issues over the years getting a gas supplier for the family home. Our MPRN wasn't registered, and even the new updated one still caused errors for suppliers. Now we have gas flowing but being able to pay someone for it is a challenge. Finally got Scottish Power to act as the supplier, set up all the direct debits etc for them to send us a letter saying the account is closed and they have refunded the money paid. 

I've tried to call them but they said we've switched supplier (we haven't) and then quoted me a new account price much higher than what we previously had. Can we get them to honour the old pricing as we never asked them to switch, or can they just close my account leaving me with free gas? 

Thats a weird one - and I dont deal with the domestic side but I have ran into something similar before. 

It was a domestic property too. I got in touch with a bloke (thinking he ran a business) he said the business was ran from home but he had this weird problem. Bloke had moved into a converted barn on an old farm and meters were installed and everything was fine except he never had a bill in over 20 years.

He'd made efforts every few years to get it sorted but then he'd run in to a brick wall and leave it. Then his conscience would get the better of him a few years later and and he'd try all over again and get nowhere. Over ther 20 years he'd been slowly putting money aside thinking he was gonna get an enormous catch up bill.

I ended up speaking to his DNO as their was no record on the national meter database and no record of the meters serial number anywhere. One of the DNO's surveyors ended up coming out to his house and the recomended solution was to have a brand new meter installed.

His gas meter and 20 years of usage, had somehow disappeared off the face of the earth.

So for you - if they are saying that the meter has changed owner (ie theres been a change of supplier) then that suggests that the meter is registered (as the owner/supplier of a meter is recorded on the national database) so it might be possible that someone else is being billed for that meters usage. Maybe someone has deliberately or accidently used your meter when renewing their contracts. This happens a lot more than you might think. Ive heard of brand new housing estates with the installed meters all registered to a different address and NOBODY paid for their own usage!

I appreciate that you dont want to pay the current high gas prices but this may be preferable to getting a huge catch up bill further down the line or even a debt collection agency knocking at your door.

I highly doubt they will honor the old prices you agreed previously given the state of the market - you can certainly ask them though. You need to get back onto them basically - send them a photograph of the meter that clearly shows all the numbers on the front (not just the read). They can then ask the new supplier to verify the serial numbers to establish who should be paying for the meter.

So basically - get back in touch, and keep records. If they dont resolve it make a formal complaint. Ask the ombudsman to intervene if neccesary. Then if its still not resolved, and there are problems in 6 months time or 2 years time, you will then be able to show that you made reasonable attempts to resolve it but got nowhere.

Good luck.

So its seems we've been transferred to OVO, though they are not supplying the gas. Seems a neighbour has recently moved and they've moved us by mistake. OVO can't help us as they don't actually have the account and Scottish Power keep telling us to speak to OVO to transfer it back. I guess while no one is billing us its not an issue but I'm going to keep taking meter readings every few days just encase. 

So after some more endless phone calls, it seems Scottish Power wont reinstate our account even though no one told them to move. On the national database my house doesn't show up some times but then other times it does. The quote SP gave me is £200 / month, vs £80 / month we were on, though I think that quote is based on excessive use figures. Seems ridiculous SP wont reinstate my account, as its extra money for them unless they were selling gas to me at a loss and have "accidentally" moved my account. 

You need to stay on the variable tariff and not be tied in to a contract at fixed rates. Its not extra money for them as they will be making a loss on just about every single domestic gas and electricity connection for the foreseeable.

There are separate meter databases for electricity and gas meters, each administered by different firms. So one meter might show, the other might not.

Maybe try another supplier?

9 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

You need to stay on the variable tariff and not be tied in to a contract at fixed rates. Its not extra money for them as they will be making a loss on just about every single domestic gas and electricity connection for the foreseeable.

There are separate meter databases for electricity and gas meters, each administered by different firms. So one meter might show, the other might not.

Maybe try another supplier?

The tarrif I had in August was 3.642p per kWH and 35.63p per day, was quite happy with that till August 2023, though it seems they will refuse to honour it. If they wont reinstate my account I will take it to the ombudsman and see what they say. All the other suppliers I've tried have given me prices double the tariff I had with SP so it seems silly to go with one of them right now. 

My fixed rate ends next month. I’m a hearing right that it’s best to do nothing as fixing now before the April increase a waste of time due to the high fixed rate offers being silly high?

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

My fixed rate ends next month. I’m a hearing right that it’s best to do nothing as fixing now before the April increase a waste of time due to the high fixed rate offers being silly high?

Correct

Talking to a few blokes today and prices will at least double this year for anyone coming off their fixed rate, nothing can be done as it will take at least 7 years to start to generate a larger portion of our own energy 

6 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Mine doubled this month. Combined (LPG) gas and electric now getting on for £300 a month :scared:

You LPG too, Open C? The part of Cambois I live in doesn't have mains gas, so got to rely on LPG ( £62.50 a bottle) as well as currently playing £88 a month for electric. Tied in to So Energy for the latter, until the end of Aug - assuming they don't go tits up before.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Talking to a few blokes today and prices will at least double this year for anyone coming off their fixed rate, nothing can be done as it will take at least 7 years to start to generate a larger portion of our own energy 

Hinkley point will be online in 2026 alledgedly.

7 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

You LPG too, Open C? The part of Cambois I live in doesn't have mains gas, so got to rely on LPG ( £62.50 a bottle) as well as currently playing £88 a month for electric. Tied in to So Energy for the latter, until the end of Aug - assuming they don't go tits up before.

Aye, I'm out on the 697 and we don't have mains either. We go through two bottles every three or four weeks in the winter and our electricity (Scottish Power) has just gone from 90 to 170

Edited by OpenC

My fixed rate ends soon, I know the answer is to do nothing but will all energy companies switch you to the price cap automatically? Or do I need to check my terms? 

Assuming they can't switch you to another fixed rate without your agreement? 

20 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

My fixed rate ends soon, I know the answer is to do nothing but will all energy companies switch you to the price cap automatically? Or do I need to check my terms? 

Assuming they can't switch you to another fixed rate without your agreement? 

No it's automatic.

Thinking now might be time to get a new boiler. This one must be nearly 20 years old so guessing it's not very efficient. It's not really arsed us but the £2.5k (want it moved as well) might be a sound investment if prices are doubling. Whats people's thoughts?

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/worcester-greenstar-8000-style-35kw-combination-boiler-black--vertical-flue---nest-learning-thermostat-pack/

This seems to come out well for efficiency.

Edited by Dokko

50 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Your house value may have risen sufficiently to put you in a better LTV bracket though which may offset that hit a bit

doubt it. Paid over 50% deposit when we bought house.