Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not going to argue with a fan that watches his team week in and week out, when I haven't, but doesn't this totally discount the jobs he did at Gladbach and Nice? Which were excellent on the whole.

Yes, have to give him respect on those, however the last season with Gladback was far more than horrible and he has shown that he is unable to change when things are going bad and that is very worrying considering our situation.

We have to remember that Gladbach is not small club and he had very good side there, so he wasn’t doing somehow special job there. Gladbach has resources to do well and they have done well after him too. And same goes with Nice, they do have money to spend and it’s not like Nice and Gladbach are small clubs that he got to overperform - not at all. He did decent job for small time there. Did not do spectacular job, but not horrible neither.

He has been having luxury to spend money and get good players to work with. It would be big gamble to put him working with this side, although we will probably spend in January.

He is NOT great option and many people seem to see him much better option than what he really is. It’s not about good balanced defense with him.

Feel sorry for Fonseca, at this point without having any inside knowledge he looks like he’s being treat as the backup plan. Which is great for us, at a minimum we’re getting someone like him but of course there is a chance someone better is also interested. Lovely position to be in.  

19 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Ando said from day one the takeover would happen and leading upto it actually happening he was 100% confident and said it WILL happen.

The consortium didn’t even know it was happening till the day before it happened ffs

that said I do believe in Ando 

2 minutes ago, Elephant said:

Yes, have to give him respect on those, however the last season with Gladback was far more than horrible and he has shown that he is unable to change when things are going bad and that is very worrying considering our situation.

We have to remember that Gladbach is not small club and he had very good side there, so he wasn’t doing somehow special job there. Gladbach has resources to do well and they have done well after him too. And same goes with Nice, they do have money to spend and it’s not like Nice and Gladbach are small clubs that he got to overperform - not at all. He did decent job for small time there. Did not do spectacular job, but not horrible neither.

He has been having luxury to spend money and get good players to work with. It would be big gamble to put him working with this side, although we will probably spend in January.

He is NOT great option and many people seem to see him much better option than what he really is. It’s not about good balanced defense with him.

Good to hear the views of a fan who has first hand experience. Mind, if he's decent at spending a bit of cash to get underperformed clubs up the table, he sounds ideal :lol:

Just now, The Prophet said:

Good to hear the views of a fan who has first hand experience. Mind, if he's decent at spending a bit of cash to get underperformed clubs up the table, he sounds ideal :lol:

Yes, in that sense he might actually be perfect 😅

At Gladbach and Nice he had money to spend and low expectations, so he has found ideal jobs to go to - and we are currently in same situation. I am pretty sure that this is his pitch for this job with us.

But we have all-around better options than him. Mind I’m not convinced about Fonseca either and I would rather go for someone who can bring us to next level. I prefer likes of Ten Hag, Unai Emery and Ralf Rangnick.

I doubt Fonseca is being used as a backup.

The consortium obviously have a timescale in mind, that's why Jones was definitive in stating he'd been given Palace and Chelsea.

Given what we seemingly know with Fonseca, talks are underway and there's a number of interviews covering finances, philosophy, etc. I'd imagine as with any interview process, he'll be aware he isn't the only candidate under consideration.

The consortium have been excellent at keeping things quiet, we only have agent leaks and limited ITK snippets to go on, but its become obvious the British press don't have a clue and are just fishing for clicks at this stage. 

14 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Feel sorry for Fonseca, at this point without having any inside knowledge he looks like he’s being treat as the backup plan. Which is great for us, at a minimum we’re getting someone like him but of course there is a chance someone better is also interested. Lovely position to be in.  

This is probably what normally happens at clubs but we’ve not been normal for some time. Interview several candidates and go for who we want rather than just being an available PL job no top manager would want to audition for.

7 minutes ago, Elephant said:

Yes, in that sense he might actually be perfect 😅

At Gladbach and Nice he had money to spend and low expectations, so he has found ideal jobs to go to - and we are currently in same situation. I am pretty sure that this is his pitch for this job with us.

But we have all-around better options than him. Mind I’m not convinced about Fonseca either and I would rather go for someone who can bring us to next level. I prefer likes of Ten Hag, Unai Emery and Ralf Rangnick.

Isn’t Favre the King of overperforming xGs though? Or am I mistaking him for someone else? If there’s anything this squad needs, its someone who can coach and drill an approach that gets results more than the sum of it’s parts. I appreciate that real life isn’t FM though.

Of all the names/who is attainable, I think Emery is the outstanding candidate right now short to medium term and potentially long-term too. 

7 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Isn’t Favre the King of overperforming xGs though? Or am I mistaking him for someone else? If there’s anything this squad needs, its someone who can coach and drill an approach that gets results more than the sum of it’s parts. I appreciate that real life isn’t FM though.

A manager doesn't get you to overperform xG though. Good keepers and good goalscorers get you to do that.

11 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Favre can prove how wrong stats can be. It is because his side never seem to shoot at any situation except until it is almost sure goal. It can be very frustrating to watch and just shows how stats are not the whole truth.

And obviously having someone like Håland helps alot.

Edited by Elephant

3 minutes ago, ATF said:

A manager doesn't get you to overperform xG though. Good keepers and good goalscorers get you to do that.

This is truth. Having no good plan for attacking play with world-class players gets you good xG too, when situations don’t come so much, but attackers use them well. But with Favre it’s even more about not even shooting until it’s absolutely sure to score.

2 minutes ago, Elephant said:

This is truth. Having no good plan for attacking play with world-class players gets you good xG too, when situations don’t come so much, but attackers use them well. But with Favre it’s even more about not even shooting until it’s absolutely sure to score.

Now he just sounds like a Swiss Wenger and I don’t want him any more[emoji38] 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

So because he’s built a really good team, that somehow detracts from his achievements? De Jong flopped after Barca, and VDB can’t get a game. They beat Real Madrid and Juventus. 

Never said he was a bad manager, just not right for us at this stage. A tad over rated imo, Dutch football is very different to the pl as many players & coaches have found out over the years. He's not someone we should be taking a punt on in a relegation scrap in the biggest league in the world. 

1 minute ago, Jimwallace197 said:

Never said he was a bad manager, just not right for us at this stage. A tad over rated imo, Dutch football is very different to the pl as many players & coaches have found out over the years. He's not someone we should be taking a punt on in a relegation scrap in the biggest league in the world. 

A tad over rated, and yet courted by Manchester United and Barcelona? We’ll be lucky to get him, IF we do, but we should at least be trying. He’s worked with some of the best young players in the world, and no only that but developed them- a concept that’s been lacking at our club for decades. 

1 minute ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Just been listening to the 'Pod on the Tyne' with Caulkin. He said he has been told on more than 1 occasion that it will not  be Fonseca who we appoint. Found that very interesting as Caulkin has links to Staveley. 

Mr No Red Flags 🚩 also led the claims that Bruce would be sacked before the Tottenham game, to be fair.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah but he’s proven it outside of Dutch football is what I’m saying. 

Yah he did well with FC Utrect in the bundesliga but not much else. Again, not writing him off but he's not the type of manager we need now. Favre or Benitez anyday over him.