Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Well, looks my bet on Fonseca isn’t going to pan out.

I’d be super excited with ten Haag, but I’d also thought the dream of Rafa was dead. If he’s appointed and I don’t post within 24 hours, you can assume I’ve exploded with happiness…

Newcastle are willing to offer Ten Hag a salary of £6m-a-year after tax - totalling a gross wage of just over £11m-a-year - but the Dutchman, 51, is reluctant to leave Ajax. (Mail)

Newcastle have also not given up hope of luring back former boss Rafael Benitez, with the Spaniard, 61, now in charge at Everton. (Football Insider)

Former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca, 48, is prepared to accept the manager's position at Newcastle, but the club's new owners are still mulling over their decision. (Fabrizio Romano, via Chronicle)

16 hours ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Benitez for me.

A safe pair of hands who knows the club and can get on with the academy and training ground rebuild. Even if it’s just for the next three years or so which I doubt it would be

I would love to see Rafa, I thought he is a far choice but the rumors are getting stronger of him signing with NUFC.

52 minutes ago, Saudi Magpie said:

I would love to see Rafa, I thought he is a far choice but the rumors are getting stronger of him signing with NUFC.

Are they? Haven't see anything substantial on that. Just the waffle from Football Insider which nobody takes any notice of.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think on balance I'd rather have someone else than go back to Rafa. Would feel very strange to go back to a manager of the past, when we should be building a brand new thing. 

Obviously he's class and I wouldn't exactly be disappointed. 

Been thinking the same. Love him as much as the next man but I'm leaning towards starting fresh, totally. 

I get that people want new - but with Rafa I don't see it as going back per se. Given that he wasn't chased out of town like Bruce, it's more of a picking up where you left of kind of thing. I also think that because he knows the squad, what they can offer, and they will remember what was expected of them, it would take less time to get things organised in terms of the first team. He may not be the right man to take us beyond that, but he can certainly lay the foundations. I would take him back in a heartbeat. The man just got us, and deserves a crack at us with some money.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think on balance I'd rather have someone else than go back to Rafa. Would feel very strange to go back to a manager of the past, when we should be building a brand new thing. 

Think that's fine if you nail the appointment(s) but with Rafa you'd have a known quantity, someone we know will be able to build the club up from the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Been thinking the same. Love him as much as the next man but I'm leaning towards starting fresh, totally. 

I Just feel like this is his project..

wasnt he instrumental in staveley looking at us to begin with ?

1. Gattuso (win £500 and that’s more important to me tbh)

2. Fonseca (just like everything I’ve read about him)

3. Rafa (safe option and known quantity)

4. AVB (think he ticks a lot of boxes. Also win £250 if it’s him)

I don’t think we have a chance of landing Conte, Ten Hag etc… so no point even going there. 

8 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It would be brand new in a way, in that he could actually implement his vision this time, which I think would be good for us. 

I think it would be a good choice and fit at this moment in time imo, minimal learning curve when he walks in.  Personally I'd love to see him given a crack at rebuilding us. 

Having said that I know pretty much zero about most of the names being thrown about after years of ignoring everything. 

10 minutes ago, Dokko said:

1. Gattuso (win £500 and that’s more important to me tbh)

2. Fonseca (just like everything I’ve read about him)

3. Rafa (safe option and known quantity)

4. AVB (think he ticks a lot of boxes. Also win £250 if it’s him)

I don’t think we have a chance of landing Conte, Ten Hag etc… so no point even going there. 

We've probably got more chance of getting ten Hag than Benitez methinks.

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

My worry with Rafa would be failure and it to ruin everything we love about him currently.

See this was my thought too. However I've now decided that the club is bigger than any one man. 

He's the best man for the job right now. If it goes to shit in the future so be it.