Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

6 hours ago, elbee909 said:

It's as much mental fitness as physical fitness that Howe and the team have improved. Even Shelvey seems genuinely up for it rather than the cynical Voldemort he once was.

There were times when shelvey looked like he had not just given up on playing for us but given up on football. Bruce must be bad if he destroys someone's passion that much they look like they'd rather be shelf stacking than playing football.

If you take our form since he joined and applied that over the season to date, we would be on 52 points now. That was with a slowish start. 

25 points in 2022, second only to Liverpool.

Incredible. 

Edited by Dan Gleebals

7 hours ago, huss9 said:

for his job interview, the guy had studied our squad and analysed strengths and weaknesses of each player.

fuck me. that's dedication.

It really is highest level dedication to his work.  You get a bit more of an insight to his dedication on his Norwich presser, he talks a bit about self reflection while he wasn't managing and how he didn't really feel like he was 'out of the game'. 

He's asked about a Gazza documentary where the journo says 'I doubt you've seen it' and he replies in full, 'I've seen it because I know his history here and thought it would be good for the club'. 

He's 110% dedicated to his work and it's fucking fantastic to see.  I purposefully never watched or read a single Bruce interview, with Eddie Howe I'm waiting for the next one.  So articulate in the way he answers every question or gives information no matter what's thrown at him, he seems to have a deep understanding/knowledge the entire squad already in such a short time. 

I feel like I've rambled on a bit and basically been humping his leg in this post :lol: but fuck it, it's great to have a likeable manager again. 

Guest HTT II

Me and a few lads at the boys’ footy yesterday were talking about Howe and other managers and outside of Klopp and Pep we were all pretty much in agreement that we wouldn’t swap him for any other manager in the PL, not even Tuchel who is becoming a right moaning, cantankerous prick blaming pitches and shit. Give Howe that team and they’d be closer to the top two in my opinion!

On 21/04/2022 at 15:30, Wild Geese said:

Can Eddie be ruthless though?

Replacing some of the current squad and moving them on, to make room in the squad for better players won’t be easy for a man who demands honesty and commitment from all involved !

That's an interesting question, because he does come across as a nice guy. However, he's somehow able to keep his distance as well, and I don't think he's closer to some players than others. He doesn't have favourites, like some managers who feel the need to make alliances with some powerful squad members in order to exercise authority themselves. So at least the players who will drop out of the squad will know they've been treated fairly.

The dropping of Lascelles is a good case in point, because he had been not just a first team regular, but also our captain for the last three years or so.  What could have been a very embarrassing situation doesn't seem to have affected the unity of the squad. That's all about good man management and mutual respect.

A lot of managers - perhaps inevitably - have a larger than life element to their personalities, and you can imagine them asserting themselves quite fiercely when they need to. It's hard to imagine Eddie even raising his voice, but he's unquestionably got leadership qualities. Maybe he has a knack of bringing out the best in people.

I'm trying to think of a manager I can compare him to, and can't come up with anyone. 

I reckon it’s safe to say Ritchie, Murphy and Gayle will be on their way. And probably one of Lascelles or Fernandez depending on which one is happy to just be a squad member until their contracts run out. 

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I think more than that will be off, I can see the likes of Darlow, Fed, Clark, Dummet, Ritchie, Lewis, Hayden, Hendrick and Gayle being shipped out with four or five coming in.

All of that lot will surely be off. Could see 5 first team starters coming in and a fair bit if investment in youth prospects

51 minutes ago, Cronky said:

That's an interesting question, because he does come across as a nice guy. However, he's somehow able to keep his distance as well, and I don't think he's closer to some players than others. He doesn't have favourites, like some managers who feel the need to make alliances with some powerful squad members in order to exercise authority themselves. So at least the players who will drop out of the squad will know they've been treated fairly.

The dropping of Lascelles is a good case in point, because he had been not just a first team regular, but also our captain for the last three years or so.  What could have been a very embarrassing situation doesn't seem to have affected the unity of the squad. That's all about good man management and mutual respect.

A lot of managers - perhaps inevitably - have a larger than life element to their personalities, and you can imagine them asserting themselves quite fiercely when they need to. It's hard to imagine Eddie even raising his voice, but he's unquestionably got leadership qualities. Maybe he has a knack of bringing out the best in people.

I'm trying to think of a manager I can compare him to, and can't come up with anyone. 

I've no concerns over a ruthless streak at all.

As you say, the Lascelles situation was handled so well that for example I don't think his thread has been bumped on here for yonks, it's an afterthought. People feared Ritchie would get special treatment as an old favourite and yet I had to go and Google just to remind myself he's registered to play.

Haven't people around football also mentioned that Tindell is the 'lads' coach, a bit more personable while Howe keeps slightly more of a professional distance? 

It seems yet another string to his impressive bow in that he seems able to balance keeping players onside without pandering to any of them. 

Again referring to one of his pressers (Palace maybe?)....he actually got asked about it and he said he has no problem being ruthless when needed, and as with everything else he says, I don't doubt him. 

He won't be sentimental if it's to the detriment of the club, or him for that matter.  If people aren't up to standard or putting the effort in, they'll be out. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

I think more than that will be off, I can see the likes of Darlow, Fed, Clark, Dummet, Ritchie, Lewis, Hayden, Hendrick and Gayle being shipped out with four or five coming in.

forgot about a few of those 😆 agree 

4 hours ago, Cronky said:

Evolution not revolution. Every thread is full of praise for a player before "needs to be moved on in summer". There really aren't that many that "need to be moved on" in  my opinion. 

2/3 quality additions in the summer will be enough to take us to the level required next season. Compliment that with some young potential that don';t need registered and we'll be fine.

Just now, toon25 said:

Absolute fucking miracle worker. The way he's turned players like Krafth and the Joe around is a testament to how good this guy is.

Fully exposing Bruce as well. He's adding millions to players' value, while Bruce was doing the opposite in tanking the value of all of our players.

Was happy when we was appointed and argued that he was definitely the right man to keep us up, but he has by far exceeded all expectations so far. Numerous players who i would have wanted and expected to be out the door in the summer are now looking like they could contribute for the next few years.