Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

It's been said before by others, but Rafa has built a small legacy here and most of us remember him fondly and his efforts to keep us competitive in the face of Ashley's dicking around. It'd be horrific if he were to return and then go on a horrific run when our expectations are now so high. Doesn't bear thinking about. 

In that context, a fresh start would probably be the best for all involved. I'm not even certain how his trademark, deliberate, slow buildup style will sit with the fans now. Given that the other names linked have all been managers who favour a more "entertaining" attack-and-press style, his name in fact appears to be the one that doesn't fit into that mold.

Just now, Emotic said:

It's been said before by others, but Rafa has built a small legacy here and most of us remember him fondly and his efforts to keep us competitive in the face of Ashley's dicking around. It'd be horrific if he were to return and then go on a horrific run when our expectations are now so high. Doesn't bear thinking about. 

In that context, a fresh start would probably be the best for all involved. I'm not even certain how his trademark, deliberate, slow buildup style will sit with the fans now. Given that the other names linked have all been managers who favour a more "entertaining" attack-and-press style, his name in fact appears to be the one that doesn't fit into that mold.

Rafa, under our new owners and their backing, won’t fail, top 6 and maybe some silverware guaranteed, I don’t think fans would ever turn on one of their ‘own’, look at KK’s second stint here, similar expectations, billionaire new owner, struggling and we had an awful spell. Of course KK gets extra special treatment, but Rafa would too IMO.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Rafa, under our new owners and their backing, won’t fail, top 6 and maybe some silverware guaranteed, I don’t think fans would ever turn on one of their ‘own’, look at KK’s second stint here, similar expectations, billionaire new owner, struggling and we had an awful spell. Of course KK gets extra special treatment, but Rafa would too IMO.

"Some silverware"[emoji38] One piece of silverware will already immediately make him a legend. I'd love to see him back, and show what he can do with proper backing. I just wonder if the values of today's football fans will afford him the patience.

3 hours ago, TorchyTBB said:

Benitez is bottom of my list, it would really take the gloss off the takeover if he came back.  Wasn't keen on him when he was here and to turn his back on the fans that did love him and pleaded with him to stay for China/money, enough said.

Worra load of shite

3 minutes ago, Emotic said:

"Some silverware"[emoji38] One piece of silverware will already immediately make him a legend. I'd love to see him back, and show what he can do with proper backing. I just wonder if the values of today's football fans will afford him the patience.

I think fans will, or I’d like to think they will. Our circumstances have changed now of course, but by and large, over the last 14 years we have been as patient as a saint and backed every manager, the good, the bad and the Bruce. Rafa, it goes without saying, would get the patience needed on and off the pitch IMO, more so probably from the fans than in the directors/owners box.

Edited by HTT II

2 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

This football club as a whole really needs to move on from Rafa. It's not healthy to be this obsessed with one man.

KK says fuck off

10 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I think fans will, or I’d like to think they will. Our circumstances have changed now of course, but by and large, over the last 14 years we have been as patient as a saint and backed every manager, the good, the bad and the Bruce. Rafa, it goes without saying, would get the patience needed on and off the pitch IMO, more so probably from the fans than in the directors/owners box.

Of course they have.

However would like to add that the last 14 years has shown that owners don't five the shortest flying figs what the fans think of the manager.

If they did we wouldn't have had Pardew, Kinnear,  Carver, McClaren, or lost Rafa

5 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

This football club as a whole really needs to move on from Rafa. It's not healthy to be this obsessed with one man.

I see where you are coming from, but for me out of the names strongly linked - Fonseca, Favre, Lampard, Martinez, Howe, Gerrard, Rafa would overwhelmingly a better option than all of them.

1 hour ago, Raconteur said:

Don't know what you're basing that on - McParland was Liverpool's chief scout when Rafa arrived there, and was made Academy Director during Rafa's time there.

Rafa is very loyal to folks who show him loyalty and McParland and Owen Brown, IMO, are folks who used that loyalty to further their own career.

McParland is good, don't get me wrong. He instituted a lot of programs which were well received. He is very good at communicating with youth team members, their parents, assuring them. When young players are let go, he keeps in touch with them a year or two after they are let go, helps them get jobs or spots in other academies. He also instituted some programs in our academy so that youth team players have other options if they don't make the mark. Basically, a downright nice person whom the parents and young players trust and reach out if they have issues. But not the most technically advanced coach and definitely not the type who keeps in touch with the latest developments in youth player development happening in Bayern or RB or Dortmund or Monaco and implement them here. I don't think he will get a job at any premier league club nowadays as an academy director nowadays without Rafa pushing for him.

Owen Brown's influence on Rafa is puzzling. He has nothing to offer - not a great player, not a coach, not a great scout, doesn't have the connections or the influence among players. Not quite sure what he is doing in Rafa's coterie. He keeps on popping up in some form wherever Rafa gets a job. When things were not going well for Rafa at LFC, among the people who had inside knowledge, even his supporters were wondering why Rafa was associating himself with Owen Brown. 

Ajax have one of the best academies and the technical players which came through for Ten Haag to work with.

Imagine him coming here and inheriting a squad that cannot even pass a ball. :lol: