Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I think Southgate is a good fit for England and international football, but I don't see him as the visionary for a massive project of turning us in to a top 4 challenger. We need someone who already has that pedigree. Just look at Conte's career, done it in lower leagues with Bari, done it top of Italy with Juventus and come here and won Prem and FA Cup with Chelsea. Gone to Inter and won title with them too. He literally has all the experience and pedigree to win, and he's available. Don't get the bringing in a temporary manager to steady things, get Conte now and back him with some signings in January.

Guest HTT II

Gerrard was very brave going to Rangers and has done a very very good job there, he has that winners mentality and has shown as a man manager, he’s no wet drip. However, it’s the Scottish League and my boy’s team-mate’s grandad is a staunch Toon and Rangers fan and he says tactically he’s way out of his depth and in England he would struggle massively even at a Norwich, say. His words… The jury is still out I guess, he’s done really well though.

I rate Lampard, Chelsea played some great stuff at times under hi,, but maybe he’s a bit too flimsy at the higher level. I rate him though, again Chelsea played some good stuff and he did a decent job overall given the circumstances.

As for Southgate, he’s done a great job with England and yes England have some wonderfully talented players, but not many world-class players and he’s done the best job in my life-time of any manager for the country and we do play some good football and technically we are now on a par with any country, tactically he falls short yes, and he is very cautious, but howay, the job he has done with England has been sensational really.

I wouldn’t want him here though, I think he’s perfect for international football and would probably make a great Director of Football as well some day or someone for the FA to employ and oversee the entire structure of the game from grassroots up! 

39 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Yeah. Comparing him to Bruce [just as a human] is just out of order.

I feel for Southgate but wouldn't want him as manager. I don't consider him to be a failure, he reached the WC final. As mad as it is, I think we scored too early against Italy, simple as that. We were not set up to take advantage of the disarray in the Italian ranks that resulted from that goal. It would have been brilliant if he'd had the courage to change tings at that point, particularly because of how his substitutions eventually turned out, but he was never going to do that.

i think u mean he fucked up in the semi's after going 1-0 up and SHOULD HAVE reached the WC final.

and he should have done better in the euros final after going 1-0 up.

we want a winner, not an inept gallant loser.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

i think u mean he fucked up in the semi's after going 1-0 up and SHOULD HAVE reached the WC final.

and he should have done better in the euros final after going 1-0 up.

we want a winner, not an inept gallant loser.

Fuck knas. [emoji38]

I was sure we were in a WC final just recently. 

2 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Don’t get the Howe thing. As soon as he left Bournemouth he was average. Maybe a case of right person, right place at Bournemouth

He hasn't worked since he left Bournemouth? Unless you're counting his few months at Burnley.

4 hours ago, christ said:

I’d steer we’ll clear of Gerrard. Taking one of Rangers and/or Celtic to the Scottish league title is not a measure of ability.

This is my view as well, surprised to see so many mentioning his name with approval considering he's got no actual record in a competitive football league. Not saying he won't make a great manager at some point, but would rather get someone in who is tried and tested. 

26 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Was nearly two years wasn’t it?

Yeah, January 2011 - October 2012. Thought it was only a few months, my bad. But he then went back to Bournemouth and took them from League One to the Premier League in 3 seasons then kept them there for 5.

He's much more underwhelming than a Conte but I'd take him. Definitely over Gerrard and Lampard.

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Yeah, January 2011 - October 2012. Thought it was only a few months, my bad. But he then went back to Bournemouth and took them from League One to the Premier League in 3 seasons then kept them there for 5.

He's much more underwhelming than a Conte but I'd take him. Definitely over Gerrard and Lampard.

I would take Howe in a heartbeat under less ambitious owners, but I think we can aim higher with PIF. Not sure Howe would command the pulling power for the really big players abroad. 

1 minute ago, InspectorCoarse said:

We need a proven winner someone with experience of the PL at the highest level . Wenger for 2 years then see where we are ?

Wenger has been my shout like :thup:

I reckon Lucien Favre will be in with a good chance. Out of work, experienced CL manager, demanding, good man manager, eye for flair as well as solidity, and willingness to play young players, and I seem to recall his name mentioned over the last few years with regards the consortium.  

Just now, OpenC said:

Wenger has been my shout like :thup:

Is he still able to do it? even on a short term? I do really admire him and his fantastic achievements, but he's 71. I suppose Bobby Robson must have nearly been that age during the end of his time managing us.