Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

We want someone here for the mid to long term. No people that will be stepping stones to an international gig or job elsewhere. The first appointment is a massive one. Still wouldn't be surprised if they go interim for the year and take their time finding the right person.

At this precise moment in time it's not about who it is, it's about who it isn't. Binning Bruce and replacing him with a packet of Frazzles would lift the fans and players for the Spurs game. Get the cunt out asap and ride the wave for a month until you decide who actually wants it and take it from there. 

My natural reaction to Gerrard is to recoil but just the thought of appointing any manager for the purpose of trying to be good is so exciting. :lol: But yeah, please not Gerrard. He's such a melt. 

Can't believe people are genuinely suggesting Keegan like. :lol: Not a chance. 

I think any manager top quality or well established and currently in a job will stay away for at least a year to see how this develops. Rodgers, Conte, Pochettino are all non-starters imo.

Tempting Potter away from Brighton would be our best bet I reckon but even then it would take some doing. Its a dream come true for us but for everyone else, PIF are new, nobody actually knows how they will operate. It would still be somewhat a jump into the unknown for any manager. 

5 hours ago, ATF said:

The problem with the Conte shout is that the guy lives to win the league and compete for trophies... immediately. He falls out with clubs when that stops being their instant objective or when he feels they're not putting in the same effort to achieve it. Chasing European positions is not what he wants to do. As such, I'm not sure he'd want the job.

Fair point, he might not take it. But if he does then he does so knowing that is not our instant objective.

1 hour ago, LV said:

What’s this shite in the Mail about Gerrard being a popular choice with the majority of fans?

Better then Bruce, but no ta. 

Just the media trying to get jobs for their favourites. It stinks.

Not sure about the timing but didn't it take for him to be a manager to acknowledge the influence of Rafa, having sulked about him for years? For me that's a man that has learned too late what it takes to be a top manager. Not saying he won't reach the levels of OGS, but he'll never be fit to lace Rafa's boots.

Edited by Happinesstan

1 hour ago, midds said:

At this precise moment in time it's not about who it is, it's about who it isn't. Binning Bruce and replacing him with a packet of Frazzles would lift the fans and players for the Spurs game. Get the cunt out asap and ride the wave for a month until you decide who actually wants it and take it from there. 

We need to be thinking who would definitely get us out of relegation. That's the tricky bit because something elaborate may be an own-goal to that end you're absolutely right for me, leaving it at getting rid of Bruce is the best move I can see right now.

Redknapp until the end of the season been mentioned?

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

We need to be thinking who would definitely get us out of relegation. That's the tricky bit because something elaborate may be an own-goal to that end you're absolutely right for me, leaving it at getting rid of Bruce is the best move I can see right now.

Redknapp until the end of the season been mentioned?

Louise?

Rangers fan coming in peace. Congratulations on getting rid of Ashley - our club know all about him as well. 

I wanted to give you some detail on Gerrard as a manager. I’ll preface this by saying I hope he doesn’t leave and as a fan base we love the man. 

Honestly, I think he’d do a great job for you and if you appointed him you should be excited. 

What he’s achieved at Rangers has been, overall, phenomenal. 

When he took over we were a million miles behind Celtic. If we didn’t lose an Old Firm by more than 3 goals it was a relief. In Europe, we were absolutely nowhere. The season prior to his appointment we crashed out in the first round of Europa qualifying to a team who finished 4th in Luxembourg. 

He immediately secured us qualification for the Europa League and has now done this four years in a row. In the last two years we’ve reached the last 16. We’ve also played some genuinely great football against teams with significantly bigger budgets like Porto and Galatasaray, and deservedly beat them. 

Domestically he built an absolute juggernaut last year. We finished undefeated with 102 points and I believe a record for fewest goals conceded. He’s also crushed our inferiority complex against Celtic and they’ve now lost five of the last six matches between us. 

He’s shown an aptitude for developing and improving players as well as blooding youngsters, and he’s brought in a culture of accountability amongst the squad. 

He also aims to play attacking football with marauding fullbacks, a high press and a narrow front three. Normally he’ll play 4-3-3 but he’s shown tactical flexibility to go to a 4-4-2 diamond with good results. 

He’s the sort of manager who will stand up for the team and will say the right thing publicly. He just gets the club and I’m confident he’d do the same with a proper football team like Newcastle. 

In the interest of balance, it’s worth pointing out that he is a young manager and does have some clear flaws. Chief amongst them being that he makes substitutes too late, often waiting until the 70th minute or until something goes wrong. It’s also worth noting that our performance levels have dropped this season, although we’re still top of the league. 

These are things that will improve with experience though, and he has what you can’t learn - an aura. He’d be great for you guys as he has instant credibility with a player of any calibre based on his achievements as a player. 

I hope you find this useful and that you won’t be offended if I tell you all to keep your hands off him. If you do end up appointing him then I think you’ll grow to love him. 

With that being said, enjoy the adventure under the new ownership. Always had a soft spot for the Toon as my dad was a long-suffering season ticket holder. 

EDIT: Here’s footage of Gerrard driving to our stadium on the morning of the game we officially won the league. For years our fan base was completely divided and at odds with each other and as you can see he’s brought us all together. 

Edited by SonicWill

1 hour ago, SonicWill said:

Rangers fan coming in peace. Congratulations on getting rid of Ashley - our club know all about him as well. 

I wanted to give you some detail on Gerrard as a manager. I’ll preface this by saying I hope he doesn’t leave and as a fan base we love the man. 

Honestly, I think he’d do a great job for you and if you appointed him you should be excited. 

When he took over we were a million miles behind Celtic. If we didn’t lose an Old Firm by more than 3 goals it was a relief. In Europe, we were absolutely nowhere. The season prior to his appointment we crashed out in the first round of Europa qualifying to a team who finished 4th in Luxembourg. 

He immediately secured us qualification for the Europa League and has now done this four years in a row. In the last two years we’ve reached the last 16. We’ve also played some genuinely great football against teams with significantly bigger budgets like Porto and Galatasaray, and deservedly beat them. 

Domestically he built an absolute juggernaut last year. We finished undefeated with 102 points and I believe a record for fewest goals conceded. He’s also crushed our inferiority complex against Celtic and they’ve now lost five of the last six matches between us. 

He’s shown an aptitude for developing and improving players as well as blooding youngsters, and he’s brought in a culture of accountability amongst the squad. 

He also aims to play attacking football with marauding fullbacks, a high press and a narrow front three. Normally he’ll play 4-3-3 but he’s shown tactical flexibility to go to a 4-4-2 diamond with good results. 

He’s the sort of manager who will stand up for the team and will say the right thing publicly. He just gets the club and I’m confident he’d do the same with a proper football team like Newcastle. 

In the interest of balance, it’s worth pointing out that he is a young manager and does have some clear flaws. Chief amongst them being that he makes substitutes too late, often waiting until the 70th minute or until something goes wrong. It’s also worth noting that our performance levels have dropped this season, although we’re still top of the league. 

These are things that will improve with experience though, and he has what you can’t learn - an aura. He’d be great for you guys as he has instant credibility with a player of any calibre based on his achievements as a player. 

I hope you find this useful and that you won’t be offended if I tell you all to keep your hands off him. If you do end up appointing him then I think you’ll grow to love him. 

With that being said, enjoy the adventure under the new ownership. Always had a soft spot for the Toon as my dad was a long-suffering season ticket holder. 

EDIT: Here’s footage of Gerrard driving to our stadium on the morning of the game we officially won the league. For years our fan base was completely divided and at odds with each other and as you can see he’s brought us all together. 

I didn't realise he'd been at Rangers for 4  years.

Appreciate the info. Can't help wondering if the drop in performance levels indicate a desire for a fresh challenge, and whilst that might be a good chance to sign him, might also suggest an inability to maintain his desire.

1 hour ago, SonicWill said:

great post , you’ve convinced me , I think it will be great to start this journey with him, I’m in .

28 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Gerrard seems like a massive gamble to me. 

SPL isn’t comparable to the premier league. 

Brendans doing ok?

Gerrard has something about him, you have to admit