Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

50 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Pep has had teams of superstars his entire career and he’s only won 2. 

Would Pep be right for us now? No, I don’t think he would.

Zidane has proven that he can take a team full of world class stars and take them from perennial winners of some stuff to perennial winners of other stuff. And yes, the Champions league wins are a huge achievement.

Pep has proven that he can play great football with expensive teams of world class superstars and go on to win trophies.

The one thing Pep has done, however, is follow up on his initial success with other successes, at different teams and in different leagues.

I’d want to see Zidane follow up his success of managing world class stars to European glory at at least another club. I’m not suggesting he’s unproven but certain circumstances suit certain managers and then they can’t repeat their initial success elsewhere.

Rafa is a perfect example of what I’m talking about - he’s done it in La liga, the championship, the premier league, the champions league, Italy etc. 

Also see Bielsa, Tuchel, Conte etc. 

That’s the kind of manager I think we need. Not someone who has done it in one place but a manager who has proven their ability in multiple places. 

Edited by Holmesy

I'm all for Ragnarok as well.

But I also think we need a transitional manager who is used to working with a limited squad rather than expecting everyone to be a galactico, because there are different skills needed to manage players from where we are to where we'd like to be.

3 minutes ago, Abacus said:

I'm all for Ragnarok as well.

But I also think we need a transitional manager who is used to working with a limited squad rather than expecting everyone to be a galactico, because there are different skills needed to manage players from where we are to where we'd like to be.

Which is why I think many would quite like Potter

Edited by TheGuv

9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I don’t disagree that zidane isn’t right for us now. I just massively disagree he hasn’t proven anything. Pep has yeah but you could argue outside of Messi he hasn’t been able to do anything in the CL. 

I’d say it was the exact opposite, lots of managers fail even with superstars, he did a phenomenal job at Real Madrid, I genuinely don’t think it will ever be repeated. Huge egos and personalities like at Real have to respect the manager. I would take zidane at a time when we had a stacked team, 100 Percent. Just think he’s unfairly maligned for a guy who won 3 successive CLs

It depends what you consider proven - it’s pretty subjective really. 
He’s proven he can repeatedly win the Champions League and domestic honours in Spain with a team of world stars. An incredible achievement, no doubt.

He hasn’t proven he can manage mediocre teams into good or even great ones in other leagues. 

Could he do it? Probably. But I’d rather we hire a manager who has a proven record at the latter now. 

Edited by Holmesy

2 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

Only way you can prove something is by doing it 

Exactly, but you minimise your risk and maximise your chances of success by hiring someone that has already done it elsewhere, rather than HOPING your next hire does it with you. 

Edited by Holmesy

I'm already at the point that I would be sad if Ragnick doesn't come in lol

Few places backtracking on Conte, saying he is interested to talk..Think it just stems from a likely bs claim from the chronicle.

Imagine Conte actually wanting it but us turning him down because he won't fit with our DoF set up and vision. 😀

Just now, The Prophet said:

I loved Favre when he was at Gladbach, but he really struggled at Dortmund.

Not sure how he did overall, but one season he finished in 2nd place at 76p, 2p after BM.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/19637950.newcastle-boss-steve-bruce-removed-next-48-hours/

Brendan Rodgers is regarded as a viable candidate despite his current position as manager of Leicester City, while Rangers boss Steven Gerrard is also expected to make the shortlist of contenders.

Former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has been considered, but the Italian is believed to have a list of requirements that could result in Newcastle’s recruitment team looking elsewhere.

Lucien Favre, a former boss at Borussia Dortmund, has indicated his interest in the position, while Graham Potter and Eddie Howe have also been mentioned as potential domestic candidates with experience of managing in the Premier League.

10 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Not sure how he did overall, but one season he finished in 2nd place at 76p, 2p after BM.

You’ll find more information from this thread. NO NO NO! Amanda read this: NO to Favre!

I will be devastated if Favre gets appointed, because then I would need to get my #FavreOut hashtags back.

Edited by Elephant

Guest neesy111
11 minutes ago, Ikon said:

They were 10 points clear at 1 point that season iirc.  

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Think it's vital that we bring in the Director first before a manager. Anything else wouldn't make sense at all if we're gonna go the Sporting Director way.

Ideally this is true, but we still have pressing football matters in the short term. 

If you want to get absolutely frustrated, then go for Favre. Soon you will realize what it really is. No way players like Håland would come to Favre’s team again.

He may get half good season, but he is NOT the manager to win trophies and success.