Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/11/steve-bruce-nears-newcastle-exit-amanda-staveley-meets-manager-squad

It is an open secret that Staveley and her co-directors are currently working to identify a replacement manager and Rodgers, Belgium’s Roberto Martínez, Ajax’s Erik ten Hag, Brighton’s Graham Potter and Rangers’ Steven Gerrard have all been linked with the job.

Hiring a manager currently un-attached to a club would be much more straightforward and – like Frank Lampard – Favre, who left Borussia Dortmund last December, falls into this category. It is understood that Favre, previously in charge of Nice, is interested and remains one of the names under detailed discussion as Staveley and her fellow director Jamie Reuben trim their original long-list into a shortlist. Favre rejected an offer to take charge of Crystal Palace in the summer, but would be unlikely to say no to Staveley.

Although the former Chelsea and Internazionale coach, Antonio Conte, has also been mentioned it is unclear whether taking over a team currently second bottom of the Premier League and without a win of any sort so far this season would appeal to the Italian.

...Having bought out Mike Ashley, Newcastle’s new owners are conducting a full review of infrastructure and remain anxious to appoint a director of football. Ralf Rangnick, the former RB Leipzig manager who is currently sporting director at Lokomotiv Moscow, has emerged as a leading candidate for this post, although Manchester City’s academy manager, Jason Wilcox, is also in contention.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Surely if that article is true it should be the job of a sporting director to identify the manager and not the owners ?

I still think the hiring of the manager will be in the hands of PIF and not Staveley or Jamie Rueben.

Just now, et tu brute said:

I still think the hiring of the manager will be in the hands of PIF and not Staveley or Jamie Rueben.

But surely it should be sporting director considering how close they and the manager work together 

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

But surely it should be sporting director considering how close they and the manager work together 

Maybe it will be, but currently there is no sporting director in place. Could well be that they already have one lined up and are working with him to identify managerial targets. I was just questioning that AS and JR are working on targets, as I just can't see that being the case. 

Edited by et tu brute

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Maybe it will be, but currently there is no sporting director in place. Could well be that they already have one lined up and are working with him to identify managerial targets. I was just questioning that AS and JR are working on targets, as I just can't see that being the case. 

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that AS and JR pick targets and then PIF have final say 

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

I can, I can’t see PIF scouring the game for a new manager, they will entrust that to AS and JR who may or may not entrust that to a DOF. Right now I’m of the mindset that I think they want a DOF and a manager together which align both with whatever their vision/plans are going forward and that is tricky and may hold up just getting someone in to just replace Bruce. Having said that, I think, and I think we all do as does the man himself, that he will be gone very soon whether we have anyone lined up straight away to replace him or not. I excpect Jones as temp manager in the dugout for Spurs and potentially Brighton away. Either way, again, whoever they do or do not appoint will, for the first time in 14 years, be judged on results and performances, success and failure. If it’s Lampard, he needs to succeed or he won’t last long, if it’s Conte, the same applies. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that AS and JR pick targets and then PIF have final say 

We have both read numerous things, doesn't mean it's true. Staveley will be the face of the club imho, JR working on the upgrades and infrastructure and I still think PIF will be ones dealing with the big decisions. 

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I can, I can’t see PIF scouring the game for a new manager, they will entrust that to AS and JR who may or may not entrust that to a DOF. Right now I’m of the mindset that I think they want a DOF and a manager together which align both with whatever their vision/plans are going forward and that is tricky and may hold up just getting someone in to just replace Bruce. Having said that, I think, and I think we all do as does the man himself, that he will be gone very soon whether we have anyone lined up straight away to replace him or not. I excpect Jones as temp manager in the dugout for Spurs and potentially Brighton away. Either way, again, whoever they do or do not appoint will, for the first time in 14 years, be judged on results and performances, success and failure. If it’s Lampard, he needs to succeed or he won’t last long, if it’s Conte, the same applies. 

Disagree with the first bit, but time will tell.

We have both read numerous things, doesn't mean it's true. Staveley will be the face of the club imho, JR working on the upgrades and infrastructure and I still think PIF will be ones dealing with the big decisions. 

PIF are the purse strings in all of this, AS is the face of it, but her company and JR and his company will be/are going to be responsible for investing PIF’s wealth into success on and off the pitch.

Just now, HTT II said:

PIF are the purse strings in all of this, AS is the face of it, but her company and JR and his company will be/are going to be responsible for investing PIF’s wealth into success on and off the pitch.

As I said I disagree and we will see. It's going to be on a different planet to what we're used to that's for sure either way.

Disagree with the first bit, but time will tell.

You think PIF will have the final say in who the manager will be? If that is to be the case, then I’d imagine that would extend to the DOF and players even. I think they’ve brought in AS and JR and their respective companies as stakeholders to kind of be their funds manager to oversee their investment returns success on and off the field. I think they will be hands off more than hands on. As you said though, time will tell.

I agree with HTT.  I seem to remember Stavely saying in a very brief interview after the takeover that she'd be judged on her performance.  I think her and Mehrdad are running day to day ops with guidance from some football people.  So they're charged with getting things up and running and perhaps when big ticket items (Infrastructure, perhaps some player purchases) will be reviewed by PIF.  

I would also agree that I'd like to see a DOF pick his manager.  So sack Bruce, maybe DOF next week or week after and new manager in before the November break.  That gives them all time to evaluate the squad and prep for the January window.

Without all the noise around Rodgers, I'd be a bit perplexed at the rumour, or certainly the suggestion that he'd want to leave Leicester. He's got a brilliant thing going on there, at the front of an incredible project which has only just started gathering pace, what with the cup win, more investment in the squad and that amazing training ground. I'd have thought that he'd like to see what else he could achieve there before thinking he was ready for a new challenge. 

He wouldn't be my first pick in any case, like. Gimme a foreigner. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Without all the noise around Rodgers, I'd be a bit perplexed at the rumour, or certainly the suggestion that he'd want to leave Leicester. He's got a brilliant thing going on there, at the front of an incredible project which has only just started gathering pace, what with the cup win, more investment in the squad and that amazing training ground. I'd have thought that he'd like to see what else he could achieve there before thinking he was ready for a new challenge. 

He wouldn't be my first pick in any case, like. Gimme a foreigner. 

I think a foreigner is more likely if they want the sporting director route 

Can’t personally see it happening but I think Rodgers would be a perfect fit to develop the club (players and infrastructure) before we can move for a Conte type manager in the next 3-5 years to develop us in Euro competitions.