Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/19640329.lucien-favre-interested-taking-charge-newcastle/

Some, such as Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers, Belgium manager Roberto Martinez and Rangers’ Steven Gerrard, are expected to figure prominently in Newcastle’s thoughts. Others, such as ex-Chelsea manager Antonio Conte and Brighton boss Graham Potter, are currently understood to be further down the pecking order.

Favre is another leading candidate, and the 63-year-old is understood to have used an intermediary to confirm his interest in taking charge of the Magpies.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Are we all being a little to unrealistic with targets though ? Surely other than the likes of Klopp pep and Tuchel any manager would see this as literally the ideal job with the support and backing he is going to get?

Without the infrastructure (training facilities, medical facilities, players accommodation….and canteen), I think some top managers may feel

hamstrung that they’ll have to wait a few years in order to reach 100% potential.

obviously once those are built and in play, the sky will be the limit, with the financial support and backing. 

8 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Are we all being a little to unrealistic with targets though ? Surely other than the likes of Klopp pep and Tuchel any manager would see this as literally the ideal job with the support and backing he is going to get?

In the case of Rodgers it’s just that he’s doing great in very good conditions at Leicester. And we’re 19th, with no new players coming in for 3 months. He’d take a risk.

Edited by Collage

I feel the only real risk is this season with regards to if we stay up or not. If we make it too next summer as a premier league team still then the sky is the limit and literally we have more potential than any other club barring the ones I mentioned.

... During his time at Gladbach, Favre revived a fallen giant of football, taking them from certainties for relegation to the pinnacle of world football in the Champions League. 

... In his first season, Nice finished third and qualified for the Champions League, their best league position in decades.

... Favre's teams play a dynamic, quick and attacking-minded football where ball possession and change of tempo alternate. This attractive style of play has brought results in every club he has managed. Furthermore, Favre is very skillful tactically, leaving his opponents struggling to penetrate his well-organized sides. 

Aye. Him. 

3 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Favre scares me with our current squad tbh.  His Dortmund team were hapless at the back.

Didn’t help that Hummels was awful for large parts. Pretty certain he switched to a back 3 which sorted the defence out though?

I know some are sceptical, but I really like the idea of Favre a lot.

With 30 odd games to go and the January window to strengthen the squad I think he'll comfortably keep us up, and his work at Gladbach closely mirrors exactly what is needed at Newcastle at the minute.

Guest reefatoon
Just now, Lazarus said:

I think weve got the same chance of getting Rodgers as we have with Rafa - ie, none to speak of.

Thats the good old Mike Ashley spirit. It’s hard to shake it off after so many years.

Yeah ten Hag is apparently interested according to Chronicle https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastles-owners-give-themselves-welcome-21820050

"There are plenty of good candidates United could look at. Ajax's Erik ten Hag, favourite Lucien Favre and Roberto Martinez are all understood to be keen; Eddie Howe, Brendan Rodgers and even an 'all in' attempt to get Rafa Benitez from Everton represent domestic options."

(obviously Rafa isn't happening but the team are in place to look if the manager situation needs looking at if he is free any time) 

Favre would be pretty amazing. Never really seen his teams close up but he's been a name mentioned for a lot of jobs for a long while now, very well respected and highly thought of. 

Going to be so fucking good going from "How's the bacon did ye say" to inside forwards using a trequista to fill the channels and probe the defensive line using high pressing quick tempo fluid movement while maintaining a rigid defensive formation with a counter attacking balance. 

1 hour ago, UncleBingo said:

Really can't see him leaving Leicester at this point in time but abso-fucking-lutely.

Poor start to the season for Leicester this time tho and a bit of fan discontent. Could definitely see him jumping ship.

19 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

inside forwards using a trequista to fill the channels and probe the defensive line using high pressing quick tempo fluid movement while maintaining a rigid defensive formation with a counter attacking balance. 

Yeah ... i've often said as much 🤪