Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Already fed up with the speculation.

Whoever it is, my advice is get behind them. They aren't going to be an Ashley stooge, they are going to get backed with decent players and if it doesn't work out long term, at least we have directors who want the team to win.

If its Lampard, OK he's not my cup of tea but he's got a bit of clout reputation wise, he will bring along a decent backroom team and we won't be the laughing stock of the league.

There's barely a name on the lists I have seen who wouldn't satisfy me for the short term. If we can stop the rot, get up the league in the next couple of seasons, we can make a better appointment then.

If there was a chance of a short term appointment, that would be ideal.

Fair play to Rodgers. Leicester took a punt on him when everyone was writing him off as a bit of a joke and they have backed him really well. Also have that brand new training ground and all. Can't fault him really.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Fair play to Rodgers. Leicester took a punt on him when everyone was writing him off as a bit of a joke and they have backed him really well. Also have that brand new training ground and all. Can't fault him really.

Was he ever written off as a bit of a joke? He's always been a bit of a David Brent type of character, but his managerial record is decent.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Was he ever written off as a bit of a joke? He's always been a bit of a David Brent type of character, but his managerial record is decent.

Maybe not a joke but I don't think many imagined he'd make this much of an impact in the PL again, myself included. I'd already written off the Liverpool title challenge as a flash in the pan tbh. 

I recall a Liverpool documentary where he had a big painting of himself in the hallway of his house. He’s proven to be a very good manager tbf

I don’t think we’re going to approach anyone until we have a chief exec and sporting director in place. Everything right now is nonsense filling the international break vacuum. The presence of Lampard in the speculation says it all, because there will be zero chance he’s being considered.

I am surprised in general at the lack of respect for Brendan Rodgers among general football fans. My thoughts about him and his tenure at LFC.

Personally I think he is a brilliant coach, excellent developer of young attacking talents, has a sound idea about how football is to be played, open minded about modern techniques, and really knows how to coach attacking football. He is just a level below elite in my opinion and that is not a criticism. As a coach and as a manager, he is a work in progress still and as he develops further, he can definitely reach that elite status. 

He does have some issues to iron out. At LFC, for some odd reason, he pretty much was against the transfer committee DOF model from the word go and constantly fought with them. The reason why it was odd is that identifying players was one of his weakness. He tended to stick to players whom he coached at Chelsea youth teams, Swansea, or who were coached by network of coaches he trusted - Borini, Allen etc. He also did not have the pull to attract players from Europe and often asked Stevie G to text players or sit in phone calls with players. Given that was his weakness, not quite sure why he aggressively fought against the DOF model. It looks like he has overcome that at Leicester who run a similar setup to Liverpool.

Regarding comparisons to David Brent. Yes, he does come across as self congratulatory in press conferences. But I can assure you one thing. During his tenure at Liverpool and even post his LFC tenure, not even once was he disrespectful or patronizing towards us fans. He has always interacted and talked about us with utmost respect and humility. He is unfairly criticized or made fun of using the portrait he has of himself at home. From my memory, that was portrait which a disabled Swansea fan gifted him and he hung that in his home as a sign of respect to that fan. Somehow, that was used as a stick to ridicule him with. He is similar to Rafa in the sense that he has quirks which makes it easy for opposition fans to make fun off, but he is a genuinely nice person. 

He is not given enough credit for the title charge we had in 2014. He constructed the Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling attack with Coutinho supplying assists from the front and reinventing Steven Gerrard as a deep lying playmaker. He was one good result away from becoming a LFC legend.

The football his teams play at times are downright exhilarating. He is able to create teams which are more than the sum of the parts. He is able to develop players. His in game management is not at the level of Rafa or Conte. Often when things dont go well, his plans involve shifting to an even higher gear and going for broke which is brilliant for a neutral but not that good for the blood pressure levels of the fanbase. He still has to progress a bit more on that front, the defensive aspect and game management particularly in Europe. But the fundamentals are there.

Personally think Ragnick DOF plus Rodgers coaching will be a brilliant combo. 

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

By all reports we are interviewing Rangnick, Henrique, and Campos, maybe Marwood for DOF (Marwood maybe for CEO not DOF?) . If this is the calibre talent we are looking at I am not concerned about who the choice of manager will be. 

Think the marwood one might be the most important one so we can speed up the footballing decisions 

8 hours ago, Manxst said:

Because we’re now an exciting project ourselves with literally a blank canvas and infinite amount of money with which to sculpt the future if this great club in their own vision. If all goes to plan, we’ll be bigger than PSG, Man City, Man Utd, and certainly Brighton, and the chance to be there from the start of this journey and guide the club on its path to true greatness must (should!) be a HUGE pull.

My literally alarm just went off.

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

He was the only British manager I would take, got to go foreign now.

Potter and Howe are both good British managers, just not sure they have the personality to manage big players. Would have taken either in a heartbeat prior to the takeover, but I think I'd rather cast the net abroad now. There will be some really exciting options there. 

That said, if we went for Potter at this stage would get behind him no problem. We don't have the big stars right now, so he could definitely do a job with the squad we've got. If we struggle to compete at the higher levels we could always look at again. 

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

Potter and Howe are both good British managers, just not sure they have the personality to manage big players. Would have taken either in a heartbeat prior to the takeover, but I think I'd rather cast the net abroad now. There will be some really exciting options there. 

That said, if we went for Potter at this stage would get behind him no problem. We don't have the big stars right now, so he could definitely do a job with the squad we've got. If we struggle to compete at the higher levels we could always look at again. 

Agree with you on Potter, however I think Howe is massively overrated and we would still be right in trouble with him.

3 hours ago, joeyt said:

Good man. Happy for Leicester. They really don't deserve for us to walk up and rob them of the manager and players, not the way we've just existed for 15 years and they've rebuilt their club top to bottom.

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Good man. Happy for Leicester. They really don't deserve for us to walk up and rob them of the manager and players, not the way we've just existed for 15 years and they've rebuilt their club top to bottom.

100% what they have achieved has been done largely in a beautiful way! 

Guest neesy111
2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

This.

Just now, toontownman said:

100% what they have achieved has been done largely in a beautiful way! 

yep. Its about as natural and honest as you can get in football these days. Of course money has been spent and some questions over where that money comes from but considering the standards these days its pretty much fairytale stuff.

Brendan's holding out for Man City instead https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-10089635/Brendan-Rodgers-REJECT-approach-Newcastles-owners-holds-Man-City-job.html

Sources have confirmed that the Leicester boss would feature on a shortlist to succeed Guardiola at the end of next season. He has admirers at the Etihad and was discussed as a replacement for Roberto Mancini in 2013.

Rodgers’ name has been part of the conversation among Newcastle’s new owners in the past week, as have several others.

However, there is a feeling that making a move for a rival top-flight boss would be politically disruptive at this stage of their ownership, even though some have said he is the best man for the role.

Edited by nbthree3