Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Was it Caulkin who pretty much said we are definitely not getting Rangnick?

Don't remember seeing that but for DOF I expect Henrique and Campos are sexier choices, not least that both have been linked to this in the past. I felt everything said about Rangnick in the press was pushing a narrative he was more interested in a role than the new owners might be. Reports yesterday had suggested he would be interviewed along with the others though. 

He is my top choice for manager, outside Conte. Think he would be an incredible interim appointment. Quite possible he isn't very interested in returning to management at this stage though.

Edit: I have also gone "Full Hitzfeld" on Rangnick. Just seems perfect. 

Edited by toontownman
Went full Hitzfeld

3 hours ago, kamakazeee said:

Favre is the most obvious choice. He's a brilliant man manager, tactically very versatile and has done the job/journey we need to go on over next few years in 2 of his previous 3 jobs. (and done it well). He's took the job at Gladbach in a relegation fight and had them in the champions league in 2 years. I also think a quiet, dignified and unassuming manager over the next few years might be just what we need, especially considering how much noise there will be off the pitch.

Also, the ASM story is red herring imo, ASM played 38 times in that season they had together., whilst also producing his best numbers, 5 goals and 8 assists. 

Take it you didn’t watch any of Dortmund while he was there then? Tactically naive would be an understatement. He’d constantly encourage about 7 players to play in little triangles all in about a 5 metre square. Once the ball was lost, one pass would put through absolutely ANY player who ran from midfield and give them a direct attack on the Dortmund goal. It was a never ending theme. And he just dug his heels in and tried even more players playing in a tiny space with intricate passes. The kind of stuff that can only come off if they are no opposition players at all. Alas, in Germany there are 2 sides involved in a football match so it failed.

13 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Take it you didn’t watch any of Dortmund while he was there then? Tactically naive would be an understatement. He’d constantly encourage about 7 players to play in little triangles all in about a 5 metre square. Once the ball was lost, one pass would put through absolutely ANY player who ran from midfield and give them a direct attack on the Dortmund goal. It was a never ending theme. And he just dug his heels in and tried even more players playing in a tiny space with intricate passes. The kind of stuff that can only come off if they are no opposition players at all. Alas, in Germany there are 2 sides involved in a football match so it failed.

I respect that you see things really differently, but the guy wasn't exactly a bum in Germany. He transformed Gladbach from a bottom feeding club to a Champions League club and did excellent work with an unfancied Nice side in France too. Even at Dortmund he didn't manage to threaten Bayern but he always finished second.

Not sure I understand why you think he's not good enough for Newcastle as we are at the minute. Our current manager is Steve Bruce. A man more concerned about bacon and kebabs than football, who takes holidays to Portugal a few games into the season when the team are hovering around the bottom of the league.

Edited by KaKa