Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Fully agreed, I'd rip your hand off for Emery if it was between him, Lampard or Martinez. But I dunno, something I can't really explain, the unknown appeals to me. Fonseca going by what I'm reading and watching now would appeal to me. Conte is my dream although he's not really an 'unknown' so to speak. But, aye. I dunnah.

Martinez is a weird one for me, yeah he complements Jones well who's already here. But the ideal manager shouldn't be picked because he's worked with a coach before...

His Everton in 2013/14 picked up 72 points which is their most in the Premier League era. (65 in 2007/08 was their 2nd most points) 

Won the FA Cup with Wigan so he's rightly remembered fondly there. Whoever's manager when we win a trophy (and it is a when!) will be remembered so well because it's been so long.

But he has his shortcomings which have already been mentioned

1 minute ago, nbthree3 said:

Martinez is a weird one for me, yeah he complements Jones well who's already here. But the ideal manager shouldn't be picked because he's worked with a coach before...

His Everton in 2013/14 picked up 72 points which is their most in the Premier League era. (65 in 2007/08 was their 2nd most points) 

Won the FA Cup with Wigan so he's rightly remembered fondly there. Whoever's manager when we win a trophy (and it is a when!) will be remembered so well because it's been so long.

Add to the fact it must be a good 5/6 years since he last managed at club level and his teams awful defensive records 

25 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

These articles follow a very similar theme regardless of the source:

Bruce was expected to be sacked 

His press conference is tomorrow 

Stavely was at the ground on Monday

The consortium are doing things properly 

(Insert exciting new name) is thought to be under consideration, but nothing is certain

Its been similar all week, they know fuck all. At least they'll have something else to write about with the football returning.

3 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

He benefitted in 2013/14 from defensive organisation and structure left by Moyes which coupled his more attacking/counterattacking style, a bit like how Bruce benefitted from defensive solidity in 2019-20. That wore off and Everton grew largely dreadful under him. Massive no from me.

3 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

His first season at Everton, he had a solid defensive unit he inherited from Moyes. The following season they were all over the show.

You've got to give him that FA Cup though, it was a great achievement.

6 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I was at the academy for six weeks back in the early 00’s. 

We used to train at three different schools cos they hadn’t built out Darsley Park yet. I was the shortest person there by a distance. A load of my mates went to Sunderland with John herdman (current Canada manager) and one of them made it pro, and even then we knew Sunderland had the better academy.

Didn’t get kept on past 6 weeks but got invited back for more trials, but by then everyone I was playing against was an actual out and out bloke and I didn’t have a hope in hell. 

I've been thinking that this week looking at our training ground because I was at Sunderland in 2000 and wondered 'is this any better than what we had'. Its not that much up on the Whitburn training ground. Embarrassed by it showing up in papers and pages of international newspapers.

Was a few Newcastle lads there then.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Don’t know much about him either, but that’s lightyears ahead of whatever the fuck is going on at the minute.

Yeah seems like yet another really interesting option.

Could you even imagine a tactical video like that on Bruce :lol:

I didn't realise either https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/12/graham-potter-another-path-for-english-managers-ostersund-arsenal-europa-league

Higher education reshaped Potter. He began his first social sciences degree while playing for Southampton and eventually completed his masters. Luck then played its part. Graham Jones, Roberto Martínez’s assistant coach, had played with Potter at Boston and they were old friends. When Jones and Martínez were at Swansea they often played pre-season friendlies in Östersund. Jones forged a bond with Daniel Kindberg, their ambitious chairman. He convinced Kindberg that Potter should be offered the job as manager when the club were watched by just 500 fans and languishing in the bottom division.

2 hours ago, toon25 said:

I doubt it, tbh. Absolutely nothing that he's served up on the pitch so far this season suggests otherwise.

Players are culpable too, hopefully new ownership gives them incentive to play at or beyond potential.

Obviously won’t be counting on Bruce for a lift in performance.

Interesting reading the various takes on Martinez’s time at Everton. Thought it was pretty straightforward myself. They were great to watch in his first season then he got a couple of key defensive injuries long term and looked more vulnerable.  The DM he brought in from Wigan getting injured in the second season if Iirc particular hitting then hard.

Still disappointed this all didn’t go through in time to grab Rafa as he was a great fit and feel he would’ve helped AS and her husband as they review the club from top to bottom.