Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Lampard is pretty much bottom of the list for me, along with the PFM crew. Clearly, Gerrard had been much more convincing in management but he’s hardly tried and tested and I’ve never liked him much. Would like us to go abroad because the crop here is poor. Rodgers would have been a great option but I’m not that disappointed that he’s not keen on it as he’s a bit of a twat 

Some of the Managers who have declined may be trying to be kind or diplomatic since technically their old pal Brucie is still in place. Once he gets the boot, they could be more open. Although I imagine if any were really keen, their Agents would have been in contact .

I would take Gerrard now and I’d think that he would come. Even if it’s a bit underwhelming when you think about the names we have been linked with that have the type of pedigree we will need in the long-term, the guy's a winner as a player and manager. That would instantly change the mentality of the current set up and demand some respect from the players to get us out of the current mess 

7 minutes ago, Scottish Mag said:

Assuming Gerrard was a genuine target it's his coach Michael Beale (who is often credited as being the brains behind positive coaching/tactics) that would be the most appealing part of getting him in.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56298826

Very interesting, I love reading about stuff like this from a coaching perspective rather than out right management. 

I like Gerrard, think he just needs a chance in a competitive league. He'd bring energy and drive and wouldn't accept half arsed and really that's what is wrong with our squad, thrive gone soft from having it too easy.

I would get behind him or even Lampard, either would be a bit underwhelming, but Gerrard has done a great job at Rangers even though yes it’s a tin pot two team league, but he showed balls and mettle to go there as his first job and to totally turn them around like he has is no mean feat indeed.

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

Just always assume he will want the Liverpool job. 

He will, but he’ll only get that if he’s been successful and again, the beauty about our new owners is if a manager doesn’t perform he will be replaced, if they do perform and leave for somewhere else, we will be in a position to replace them with someone equal or better. 

I'd give Gerrard a shot. It's a risk that I think at best pays off massively if he can make the step up in the PL. At worst, you'd like to think we're not getting relegated and can regroup accordingly if he's underwhelming.

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

Just always assume he will want the Liverpool job. 

He will. Seems to have something about him which makes him perversely appealing though. Has improved his current club so they've once again overtaken Celtic, and not been a complete disaster in Europe.

Could probably do a good job with us in the medium term....

Actually no. I could take charge of Rangers now and get them to first or second in that league, as i am happy to suggest most of this forum could.

19 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I would get behind him or even Lampard, either would be a bit underwhelming, but Gerrard has done a great job at Rangers even though yes it’s a tin pot two team league,

I follow Aberdeen as well & it definitely is a tinpot & unfair league, but tbf he has done a much better job than expected.

He might be what is needed for a transitional side. Then it's probably a new one every other year merry go round I would guess.

2 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

no

A nice romantic idea, but would be like dragging Frank Bruno in to the ring vs Fury in todays world.

As good as he was for us, even in 2008 it was past his time. Enthusiasm and passion simply doesn't cut it anymore

6 minutes ago, Village Idiot said:

According to RMC Zidane turned you down.

https://chicagotoday.news/sports/zidane-refuses-to-coach-newcastle/

I don't think it would've worked, anyway. He was great at navigating the dressing room and club politics at Real Madrid (not an easy feat), but that's not your situation.

Can I ask what you make of Emery ? You will have had much more experience of him than us